Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times

Advertisements

It seems the president doesn't have much love for his home state. Contrary to what he was spewing during the New York primary campaign, it appears this administration will not be invested in Upstate New York at all as he favors those "red" rust belt states who voted him in. Pretty crappy if you ask me, but what else is new...

Trump to upstate New Yorkers: Move! - The Buffalo News

Old 07-27-2017, 09:30 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
The surprise in all of this is......?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:51 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
It seems the president doesn't have much love for his home state. Contrary to what he was spewing during the New York primary campaign, it appears this administration will not be invested in Upstate New York at all as he favors those "red" rust belt states who voted him in. Pretty crappy if you ask me, but what else is new...

What did you expect from someone from NYC?? Most people down there have no idea that upstate even exists, and that it is actually a better place to live than the City is. Cleaner, cheaper COL, lower crime rates....

Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
From that article:
Quote:
Trump is right about one thing. Upstate New York has lost thousands of manufacturing jobs over the last several decades, as have Rust Belt states such as Wisconsin, as many factories have automated and others have closed or moved overseas.

"Unfortunately, current state policies, especially in taxation, energy infrastructure and the overall regulatory environment, have impeded overall growth," Hutchins, the Business Council spokesman, said.
My wife and I along with my brother lost our jobs in manufacturing in 1995 due to the high cost of doing business in New York State. The company we had worked for moved their facilities to another state solely because of that.

Growing up in the Hudson Valley we saw Lord & Burnham, Weyerhauser, GM, Anaconda Cable & Wire, Bobbie Brooks (Stretchini) and Otis Elevator* all leave the area for other states. You can't blame Trump for that.

Many parts of upstate New York are an industrial wasteland. This has been going on for decades. You can only blame your state government and its policies for that. If it weren't for NYC and the financial industry New York State would be finished. New York with its industrial base used to be known as the "Empire State". Now it's more like the "Vampire State" as it sucks the economic life blood out of many who choose to remain there.

*Kawasaki Rail Car now occupies those facilities.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-27-2017 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 10:37 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post

Maybe he's saying that like others before you have to go where the jobs are. New York is usually ranked at or near the bottom as a location for business especially in the manufacturing trades and that is the states leaderships fault. Amazon just announced they are hiring 50,000 people throughout the USA how many of those jobs are going to be in NY?

Old 07-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
What did you expect from someone from NYC?? Most people down there have no idea that upstate even exists, and that it is actually a better place to live than the City is. Cleaner, cheaper COL, lower crime rates....
Yeah, it's too bad that New York City doesn't become a separate state and leave the upstater's alone. Unfortunately for you guys that's who runs the state government.

All of our friends and family are still back there just biding their time for the right opportunity to leave just as we did.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:45 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Didn't Cuomo say Conservatives don't belong in New York state?

Old 07-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Maybe he's saying that like others before you have to go where the jobs are. New York is usually ranked at or near the bottom as a location for business especially in the manufacturing trades and that is the states leaderships fault. Amazon just announced they are hiring 50,000 people throughout the USA how many of those jobs are going to be in NY?
That's what I got out of that article.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Didn't Cuomo say Conservatives don't belong in New York state?
Oh indeed he did!

That was after they passed the "Safe Act". Which proves that the "Safe Act" was passed for political retribution against those that do not think like the governor and his party. Not necessarily to keep New Yorkers "safe". I'm sure that all of those criminals who are already prohibited by law from owning firearms in the first place rushed to register their so called "assault weapons" and turn in magazines that hold over 10 rounds.

Cuomo's actual quote:
Quote:
“Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are?,” Cuomo wondered at the time. “Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are.”
What better way to punish your political enemies than to declare their lawfully owned property contraband, criminal penalties intact? Talk about tolerance and civility that they so demand of others.

I just thank God I was out of New York State well before that act was passed. There's nothing like the taste of freedom, and living 2474 miles away from all that.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-27-2017 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 11:42 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
While I get what VA Yankee stated, I think you make a big point many people don't think about in terms of what is actually in Upstate NY. I think people underestimate what is actually in or what people Downstate even know about that part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York