Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:51 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I can appreciate your being a rail fan and I enjoy history but from the carpet mills of the Mohawk Valley, to the former homes of GE & Westinghouse, Kodak, Bosch & Lomb, Xerox, IBM and the Bethlehem Steel presence on Lake Erie there all gone and many more. To millennials that is probably a good thing because who wants all those dirty factories ruining the environment...
Some of those are still around, but of course not to the same degree.

I think the issue is that the ability to pivot has taken too long or has gone to smaller, lesser known companies.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:58 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
ContraPagen I am sure your knowledge of downstate communities was just as vague at 18/19 as your roommates was of your hometown. Upstate residents seem to have as many stereotypes about downstate as they have about you. Most people I met in Navy automatically assumed that I lived in NYC which I didn't, so I explained that some of us were living in caves outside the city but we had fire...

For some of the other posts you could make an unbelievable list of what used to be made in each city but on average that is about 50 years in the past and for a millennial to know that steam engines were made in Schenectady that wouldn't even be on their radar, I mean app.
Um... I'm not a millenial. I am 42, 43 in 3 months, and I attended that school between 1995 and 2000.

We also were not strictly a sleep-away college. We had a lot of commuters of different ages.

And Schenectady NY was far more famous as "The Electric City," being the home of General Electric, as well as the birthplace of the first TV station and commercial radio station in the country.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:03 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Upstate NY is beautiful, but it doesn't have much going for it these days. It is the rust belt. Manufacturing, and once great companies are gone. The weather often SUCKS. It is not in the east coast corridor. Jobs, and people have moved away, and are continuing to move away. Just look at Buffalo, and Rochester.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:30 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Um... I'm not a millenial. I am 42, 43 in 3 months, and I attended that school between 1995 and 2000.

We also were not strictly a sleep-away college. We had a lot of commuters of different ages.

And Schenectady NY was far more famous as "The Electric City," being the home of General Electric, as well as the birthplace of the first TV station and commercial radio station in the country.
Happy Birthday early but as you obviously observed the cities history is not taught/know outside of the region. Even when I graduated in 78 kids didn't know or care about what was outside of our sphere, in fact the apathy level was pretty high.

Did you attend Dominican in Nyack?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Upstate NY is beautiful, but it doesn't have much going for it these days. It is the rust belt. Manufacturing, and once great companies are gone. The weather often SUCKS. It is not in the east coast corridor. Jobs, and people have moved away, and are continuing to move away. Just look at Buffalo, and Rochester.
Actually, the Albany area has had steady population growth. Same for Ithaca and a couple of the North Country area in recent years. Syracuse and Rochester has pretty much stayed put and the Buffalo has seen its declines decrease. So, we'll see what happens, but people have to understand that there is and has been more than just manufacturing in Upstate NY and many smaller companies have formed from bigger companies that downsized or closed.

If anything, not being in the east coast corridor is what keeps the overall cost of living from getting higher than it is.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If anything, not being in the east coast corridor is what keeps the overall cost of living from getting higher than it is.
But as many posters continue to state salaries are also kept lower that combined with lower home values puts a person at a disadvantage should they choose to relocate. Of course the egregious taxes are the same....

Old 07-28-2017, 07:27 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
I think what Trump is trying to say is that although his policies are pro growth, Many states, like NY policies, high tax and high regulation will still struggle.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
But as many posters continue to state salaries are also kept lower that combined with lower home values puts a person at a disadvantage should they choose to relocate. Of course the egregious taxes are the same....
Actually, the salaries in Upstate NY are around the national average, give or take and home values have pretty much been flat as well. Tax rates are higher, but that is due to the home prices, as mentioned many times before.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I think what Trump is trying to say is that although his policies are pro growth, Many states, like NY policies, high tax and high regulation will still struggle.
Then, we have to ask ourselves, "Why"?

It isn't like changes can't be made, but some people like to keep structure the way it is. Or so it seems.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the salaries in Upstate NY are around the national average and home values have pretty much been flat as well. Tax rates are higher, but that is due to the home prices, as mentioned many times before.
Tax rates are higher because every level of government in the state have their hand in the till along with the unions who believe in the golden calf. Of course you do have the pleasure of continuing to pay for a road that was paid off decades ago with the highest bridge toll of $15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York