Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 12:18 PM

194 posts, read 425,571 times

Advertisements

Looking to get a 3/4 ton pickup to tow a new travel trailer.

NYS DMV states pickup trucks over 6000 lbs must be registered as a Commercial vehicle unless you have a bed cap, seats and/or a stove in the back - which I dont really wish to do.

Besides not being able to drive on parkways in NYS -

1. What are the pro's and con's of registering a truck either with passenger or commercial plates?

2. Are the commercial registration fees vastly higher then passenger registration fees?

3. What about insurance? It it usually higher/lower or the same to insure a commercial vehicle?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 03:32 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
It would seem that registering as a commercial vehicle could cause the following:

1) Higher tolls on the Thruway
2) Banned from Parkways
3) Here are the fees, you can look them up
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...enger-vehicles
4) Call your insurance agent about the rates and ask them about the validity of registering commercial due to weight.

I believe you misread the statute https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...-class-vehicle .It states "If you have a modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes

Old 12-21-2017, 06:37 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
I have had 3/4 ton trucks registered both ways. Insurance and registration cost were basically the same.

Toll rates were also the same (obviously not when pulling a trailer). NYC area bridges and tunnels base rates on number of axles. The thruway rates are based on number of axles and vehicle height. As long as you are driving a SRW, that's not a concern. You can also use your same E-Zpass tag when towing - the system automatically charges the correct amount for a trailer (note that it very often overcharges, so check your bill).

The only real problem in NYS is lack of parkway access. It can be a real problem at times. In NYC, some street parking regulations are applied differently to commercial and non-commercial vehicles (always check the signs carefully).

On Long Island, some towns, incorporated villages and HOAs have different parking rules for commercial vehicles, such as you are not permitted to leave them parked on the street overnight. While enforcement may be more strict to true trucks and vehicles with business info posted, there is still the possibility that cash strapped municipalities will ticket you.

On enforcement... it seems to be lacking. Perhaps that is just an acknowledgment that the current laws are very out of date.

Look around and you will notice many 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with passenger tags and no bed cap. Some leave the dealer that way (many with a "receipt" for an installed bed cap). Others check a box on a DMV form and convert to passenger tags. These vehicles are on the parkway along with the 1/2 ton pickups.

What's crazy is I have even seen some DRW trucks with passenger tags. Not sure how they pulled that one off, but if you do that with a dually, I think you are asking for trouble.

DMV does NOT inspect the vehicle for compliance. If the form is filled out and the box checked, they issue the passenger tags.

For those that actually get the "permanent" bed cap, those that I have seen do not bother with the seats/seat fitting/camping equipment requirement. YMMV.

I do find it ironic. The rule is based on weight. Yet for a heavy vehicle to get the same rating as a lower weight vehicle, it needs to add several hundred pounds of extra equipment to make it even bigger.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:37 AM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,590 times
Biggest problems on parkways is when 13'6" class 8 vehicles absentmindedly get on and then have to stop and back up to the nearest exit when coming up to their first overpass...

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...e-strikes-long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York