Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:33 AM

3,576 posts, read 3,080,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I didn't say they weren't real, I said they tend to contain their own cultures that are often different from the overall state they are in.

NYC does not represent in any way Steuben county. Philadelphia has nothing to do with Centre county. Chicago does not represent Cairo. Los Angeles has no real bearing on Chico. Let's hit up Canada too, does Toronto seem like vast tundra to you?

They're real, they just don't give an accurate picture of the state they are in.
In the same sense how does Steuben County represent NYC, Syracuse, Jamestown, or Ithaca? Does Wyoming County represent Hamilton County, they are very different also? It is the sum total of the variation that represents the state, not urban vs rural, mountain vs plain, or white vs ethnic.

I get it. I'm not from NYC, but if I'm out of state and say I'm from NY the majority think I'm from NYC, and if I correct them half of them think I live on a dairy farm in the sticks somewhere. It sucks to not be recognized, but that doesn't change the fact that its a big state and everyone all together defines what and who it is.

It is (or should be) the things that bring us together, not separate us, that represent the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 05:17 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
In the same sense how does Steuben County represent NYC, Syracuse, Jamestown, or Ithaca? Does Wyoming County represent Hamilton County, they are very different also? It is the sum total of the variation that represents the state, not urban vs rural, mountain vs plain, or white vs ethnic.

I get it. I'm not from NYC, but if I'm out of state and say I'm from NY the majority think I'm from NYC, and if I correct them half of them think I live on a dairy farm in the sticks somewhere. It sucks to not be recognized, but that doesn't change the fact that its a big state and everyone all together defines what and who it is.

It is (or should be) the things that bring us together, not separate us, that represent the state.
You're taking my very simple point and complicating it. NYC is not representative of NY state. New Orleans is not representative of Louisiana. You cannot convince me otherwise.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
You're taking my very simple point and complicating it. NYC is not representative of NY state. New Orleans is not representative of Louisiana. You cannot convince me otherwise.
To be fair, it goes both ways...

I am curious though, what are some of the things the state isn’t hearing from people in your part of the state? Do you think that these issues actually cut across different segments of the population or just the one you are in? If the first, why not form alliances with said people in a way that would bring more attention to these things issues or do it in a way that would allow for an alliance? I think that gets overlooked in all of this, as the environment may be different, but the issues are similar, if not worse in other places/environments.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:34 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
I have seen this at a Walmart in Vestal, NY,

I've seen two (small size) instances of it in my town (Baldwin, NY too). Here I think it's just a case of fringe conservatives.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
A large chunk of NY state's population is in NYC, so it is somewhat representative of the state.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
A large chunk of NY state's population is in NYC, so it is somewhat representative of the state.
I really think people are misunderstanding me. Either that or zealously defending NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be fair, it goes both ways...
Agreed. That's why I said cities are often their own flavor apart from the greater state.

Quote:
I am curious though, what are some of the things the state isn’t hearing from people in your part of the state? Do you think that these issues actually cut across different segments of the population or just the one you are in? If the first, why not form alliances with said people in a way that would bring more attention to these things issues or do it in a way that would allow for an alliance? I think that gets overlooked in all of this, as the environment may be different, but the issues are similar, if not worse in other places/environments.
If I understand your question (and I may be misunderstanding, apologies in advance) it's mostly politics. Apart from being silenced if you aren't a liberal in the state there are some basic lifestyle issues.

Fishing, hunting, and use of your own land are ridiculously constricted and regulated in NY, almost to a point of preventing people from being able to do anything. This is fine for an urban area but not so much anywhere else.

The price of tobacco is ridiculous and very much voted on by places like NYC. Smoking isn't healthy, we get it, but people should be free to do so in their own homes without it costing an arm and a leg.

The gun laws here are terrible for owners, and set to get even worse.

Land taxes hurt the rural population more often. I've known many people who were driven out of their family homes because of the cost of the land going up once rich city people started building summer condos in the area.

Fracking was a very touchy subject and still is to a degree.

Sometimes the NY state government, mostly made up of urbanites, will flat out deny areas of poverty exist. This does not help, it only hinders. They care more about creating an outward appearance for NY than they do about actually fixing the potholes, so to speak.

As for alliances I am not entirely certain what you mean, but I think it is hard for people to gather for a cause when they don't really have the time or cash to travel.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:16 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
I really think people are misunderstanding me. Either that or zealously defending NYC.

Agreed. That's why I said cities are often their own flavor apart from the greater state.

If I understand your question (and I may be misunderstanding, apologies in advance) it's mostly politics. Apart from being silenced if you aren't a liberal in the state there are some basic lifestyle issues.

Fishing, hunting, and use of your own land are ridiculously constricted and regulated in NY, almost to a point of preventing people from being able to do anything. This is fine for an urban area but not so much anywhere else.

The price of tobacco is ridiculous and very much voted on by places like NYC. Smoking isn't healthy, we get it, but people should be free to do so in their own homes without it costing an arm and a leg.

The gun laws here are terrible for owners, and set to get even worse.

Land taxes hurt the rural population more often. I've known many people who were driven out of their family homes because of the cost of the land going up once rich city people started building summer condos in the area.

Fracking was a very touchy subject and still is to a degree.

Sometimes the NY state government, mostly made up of urbanites, will flat out deny areas of poverty exist. This does not help, it only hinders. They care more about creating an outward appearance for NY than they do about actually fixing the potholes, so to speak.

As for alliances I am not entirely certain what you mean, but I think it is hard for people to gather for a cause when they don't really have the time or cash to travel.
Actually, I’m getting away from politics in a partisan sense and thinking of aspects that you’ve mention that impact people in other environments(urban or even select suburban areas). If you form an alliance with people that can vouch for you along similar lines, it may be in your best interest and you can get those things accomplished. Basically, I’m thinking in terms of going outside of the box, but doing it in a way a wide range of people can come together to fight against these issues.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:44 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Actually, I’m getting away from politics in a partisan sense and thinking of aspects that you’ve mention that impact people in other environments(urban or even select suburban areas). If you form an alliance with people that can vouch for you along similar lines, it may be in your best interest and you can get those things accomplished. Basically, I’m thinking in terms of going outside of the box, but doing it in a way a wide range of people can come together to fight against these issues.
Ideally this would work, but it is impossible in a state like NY where the politics are completely dominated by NYC liberals.

NYC is clearly representative of the state of NY. Outside of here, it's the only representation most people know. The city isn't the be all and end all though, so focusing only on NYC sadly misrepresents the state as a whole.

I've lived in the city most of my life, but due mostly to my outdoors activities I've traveled the entire state extensively. While the politics might eventually chase me out, I can easily say this is the most varied and diverse state of the union outside of maybe California and Texas. It's a shame that most people will only ever look at NY state as an extension of NYC.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-15-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Ideally this would work, but it is impossible in a state like NY where the politics are completely dominated by NYC liberals.

NYC is clearly representative of the state of NY. Outside of here, it's the only representation most people know. The city isn't the be all and end all though, so focusing only on NYC sadly misrepresents the state as a whole.

I've lived in the city most of my life, but due mostly to my outdoors activities I've traveled the entire state extensively. While the politics might eventually chase me out, I can easily say this is the most varied and diverse state of the union outside of maybe California and Texas. It's a shame that most people will only ever look at NY state as an extension of NYC.
You brought something to mind that I think might be why some people are misunderstanding me.

NYC is representative of the state in terms of perception, but not in terms of truthful culture, economics or general lifestyle.

People think of NYC, but NYC doesn't truly present the big picture.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:54 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
You brought something to mind that I think might be why some people are misunderstanding me.

NYC is representative of the state in terms of perception, but not in terms of truthful culture, economics or general lifestyle.

People think of NYC, but NYC doesn't truly present the big picture.
I didn’t want to speak for you, but I figured that is what you were getting at.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York