Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:30 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times

Advertisements

How do so many Pennsylvanians and New Yorkers (from NY state) have so much effing time to come to NJ to visit. A lot you look young behind the wheel and if you are in college or have a job, how the hell do you have so much time to come all the way to suburban North Jersey? I have no time to be travelling to NYC or even the bottom part of Upstate NY during school year. I have a terrible schedule this semester and I have a part time job. So many NY plates...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Are you feeling envious??

Old 04-23-2019, 06:10 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
How do so many Pennsylvanians and New Yorkers (from NY state) have so much effing time to come to NJ to visit. A lot you look young behind the wheel and if you are in college or have a job, how the hell do you have so much time to come all the way to suburban North Jersey? I have no time to be travelling to NYC or even the bottom part of Upstate NY during school year. I have a terrible schedule this semester and I have a part time job. So many NY plates...

You should be happy about this. People from out of state, spending their money in your's.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:39 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
I have seen plenty of NJ plates in NYC. So what?!

Old 04-24-2019, 04:50 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times
Hmmm..was just commenting to a friend the other day..what's with all the NJ plates in upstate NY?....One other somewhat odd thing we notice up our way..it could be the time of year when roadside saltdust or slush is just about on every vehicle on the road...then along comes a (usually new, pricey) vehicle with NJ plates...looking like it was just taken out out of a giant zip loc bag...not even dust on it?

Old 04-26-2019, 09:26 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:

The better question is what are all the NJ plates doing on Long Island?

For Long Island and NYC, passing through some part of NJ is virtually required to get anywhere outside our area. Many of us would love to avoid it, but there is little choice.

NYers living further north anywhere along the Hudson also end up with NJ as a main option to reach points south.

Bottom line... you are in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Hmmm..was just commenting to a friend the other day..what's with all the NJ plates in upstate NY?....One other somewhat odd thing we notice up our way..it could be the time of year when roadside saltdust or slush is just about on every vehicle on the road...then along comes a (usually new, pricey) vehicle with NJ plates...looking like it was just taken out out of a giant zip loc bag...not even dust on it?

Skiing, Catskills, Adirondacks... all very accessible from Northern NJ and PA. They have to pass through NY to get to New England or Canada.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:33 PM

973 posts, read 1,412,497 times
It depends on where you are in NJ. Southern Rockland and Bergen are pretty much the same community. People crossing over that border all day long. Very common to have your doctor in one state, your gym in the other, etc. Countless residential roads cross the border with no signage. Some houses are even landlocked into the other state - meaning the only way out for them by car is to drive into the other state.

No tax on clothes helps attract people to NJ. Lower gas prices used to - not that much of a difference now though.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:08 AM

34 posts, read 27,018 times
NJ has MUCH better shopping. Malls are nicer and cleaner and there are just a ton more stores. Plus there are many who commute from ny to nj

Old 05-30-2019, 02:34 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
North Jersey is between NYC and PA. People commute through it constantly just out of necessity. In fact, if I wanted to drive to NYC from where I live, the shortest route takes me into PA, through NJ, and into NY state again at the end.

That's to say nothing of people actually going TO New Jersey for leisure.

You have something like 12,000,000 + New Yorkers at your border, with a few million Pennsylvanians on the other side the whole length. NJ is not very large, especially east to west. Of course you are gonna see them drive through NJ.

Likewise, I see NJ plates here in central/west upstate NY constantly this time of year, and we're much further away from NJ than NYC is. So obviously people from Jersey are traveling too.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:10 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
It depends on where you are in NJ. Southern Rockland and Bergen are pretty much the same community. People crossing over that border all day long. Very common to have your doctor in one state, your gym in the other, etc. Countless residential roads cross the border with no signage. Some houses are even landlocked into the other state - meaning the only way out for them by car is to drive into the other state.

No tax on clothes helps attract people to NJ. Lower gas prices used to - not that much of a difference now though.
Yeah I wonder what happens if someone owns a house on top of the border. Google Earth's borders of states are not accurate especially on the Four Corners Monument in the Southwestern US.

Best part of shopping in NJ is no tax! Absolutely right! That's what my Californian family likes about shopping here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York