Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 04:04 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post

What the voters forgot was that bonds are not free money. Bonds are debt that must be paid back with interest. So, starting around the mid 70's state and local taxes started increasing and have never stopped increasing in NY. Many times new bonds have been issued to pay off old bonds due. This doesn't work just like paying off old credit cards with new cards doesn't work out well for 90% or more of people doing that.

In NY we pay somewhere around 50 cents per gallon for gas tax, but somehow there's never enough money to fix the roads, and a bond must be floated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 07:02 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post

Taxes are just one of the reasons I moved from NY over 25 years ago.
TX has very high property taxes. And has more user fees than most states. And terrible schools and services. There's no state income tax, but that's only because of the petroleum industry. Few states have that kind of tax goldmine.

And TX is only growing because it borders Mexico. Otherwise, TX would be in the same boat.

No place is perfect.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:43 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
TX has very high property taxes. And has more user fees than most states. And terrible schools and services. There's no state income tax, but that's only because of the petroleum industry. Few states have that kind of tax goldmine.

And TX is only growing because it borders Mexico. Otherwise, TX would be in the same boat.

No place is perfect.
NY as a rate is slightly lower than TX but as an absolute number it averages a lot higher.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

Old 03-26-2020, 09:04 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
In NY we pay somewhere around 50 cents per gallon for gas tax, but somehow there's never enough money to fix the roads, and a bond must be floated
Most of the roads are located Upstate, downstate politicians can't allow Upstate roads and bridges to get much attention, they need the money for the MTA and other pet deals.

Roughly 40% of the fuel taxes in NY go to roads and bridges. Anyone's guess where the rest goes.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:06 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
NY as a rate is slightly lower than TX but as an absolute number it averages a lot higher.

Precisely.

Wayne County, NY, and how many other rural counties in NY have obscene property taxes, yet the county is losing residents like a sieve. Like so many other counties in NY, losing residents.

TX is gaining residents, and I never hear former NY residents who live there complain about it, at least no one in my circle of friends and associates.

New York on the other hand...

Old 03-27-2020, 05:27 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Most of the roads are located Upstate, downstate politicians can't allow Upstate roads and bridges to get much attention, they need the money for the MTA and other pet deals.

Roughly 40% of the fuel taxes in NY go to roads and bridges. Anyone's guess where the rest goes.
I agree............and along that line, wasn't a big chunk of the income generated by the State Lottery supposed to go to support the schools??

HOW'D THAT WORK OUT?????

Old 03-27-2020, 05:34 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

Housing prices are likely lower on average/by median figures in many of the NY counties with higher rates(key word) as well. So, a lot of this depends on where in these states you are comparing as well.

Ironically, even with property taxes included, the housing opportunity index in many NY metro areas, which inch is median home price in relation to median family income, is better than in many areas that people automatically think are lower. https://www.nahb.org/-/media/NAHB/ne...rank-q419.xlsx (4th Section)

https://www.nahb.org/News-and-Econom...ortunity-Index (Methodology at the bottom)

So, the aspect of housing affordability varies within NY and has to be viewed in totality(which has been mentioned many, many, many times on here by myself and many other posters over the years).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-27-2020 at 05:44 AM..

Old 03-27-2020, 01:23 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Housing prices are likely lower on average/by median figures in many of the NY counties with higher rates(key word) as well. So, a lot of this depends on where in these states you are comparing as well.

Ironically, even with property taxes included, the housing opportunity index in many NY metro areas, which inch is median home price in relation to median family income, is better than in many areas that people automatically think are lower. https://www.nahb.org/-/media/NAHB/ne...rank-q419.xlsx (4th Section)

https://www.nahb.org/News-and-Econom...ortunity-Index (Methodology at the bottom)

So, the aspect of housing affordability varies within NY and has to be viewed in totality(which has been mentioned many, many, many times on here by myself and many other posters over the years).
He's not wrong. I've studied this myself and its definitely true. What do the top 50 metros on this list have in common (I've mentioned this many times before as well)?

- the vast majority are cloudy and/or colder/snowier locations (Elmira, Scranton, Binghamton, Utica, Syracuse)

- many are outside the typical commuter distance, but not so far as to be un-commutable, yielding a higher salary but lower cost of living (Vineland, again Scranton, East Stroudsburg, Wheeling, Monroe, MI)

- many have few or no natural features like mountains, lakes, forests, or oceans nearby (Indianapolis, Lima, Peoria)

- many are just dirt cheap, so even in places like Youngstown OH where industry has been decimated, the cost of a house is the same as used car, making it affordable even on minimum wage.

To me, Upstate cities seem better situated than many of these other cities, by offering a nice natural environment and proximity to 4 world class cities (Montreal, Toronto, Boston, NYC). I guess people have to decide for themselves if its worth living in San Diego, where only 20% of people can afford it (the trade off being amazing weather and a healthy outlook on life) or Elmira, NY or maybe someplace in-between that is also affordable and maybe a decent enough place to live without killing yourself to make ends meet. Everyone's situation varies and that, to me, kind of sums up this discussion!

Old 03-27-2020, 01:31 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
At least Upstate is pretty. It's stagnant but much, much prettier than most of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:20 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
This isn't meant for anyone in particular, but just in general: Its amazing how so many people live in the wrong places for their lifestyle, and then blame the place. A few simple truths:

1. Don't live in an area with top notch schools and insane property taxes if you don't have kids.

2. You don't have a right to live anywhere you want if you can't afford it.

There's a reason that people live in Toledo- they can't afford anyplace else. You are not entitled to live in Westchester or NYC. Neither am I. No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try, my career and income will not allow me to live in San Francisco comfortably. This isn't the fault of San Francisco. And sure, I feel bad for those that are cops and teachers there, and I believe there should be programs to help essential workers in these areas, out.

People call into Dave Ramsey from CA and NY all the time, complaining that they can't make ends meet. Every time he tells them to move! What other option do you have? Better to make $50k in a place with $200k houses and $2k taxes, than to make $100k and try to find a $1mil house with $25k in taxes. At least in NYS, you have both options depending on where you live.

NY, like anyplace else, has good parts and bad. Some parts of NY I find to be absolutely dreadful, and other parts I can't believe how strikingly beautiful they are, with tall trees, mountains, and clean swift moving streams and fresh air. There are homes in the Upstate suburbs that are perfectly livable for $200k or less and $4k a year in taxes or less. They're in nice areas with all the suburban amenities that Westchester has. But if you make $200k in NYC, you have to decide if its worth paying all that out to live in Westchester County.
The following is only my opinion:

Excerpt: There are homes in the Upstate suburbs that are perfectly livable for $200k or less and $4k a year in taxes or less.

Would you be so kind to name some that you would possibly call home ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York