Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 12:20 PM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm sure the NC location offered some incentives to film there, even with the fact that there were locations elsewhere that fit the concept like Vandergrift. Vandergrift doesn't look too bad, at least on street view, but you can tell that it had a strong industrial past.
No doubt. Then the incentives went away and the show moved.

I think Psych was shot mostly somewhere in British Columbia and not Santa Barbara.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 02:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
You are aware that filmmakers select filming locations to fit their movie concept, right?
OP probably thinks that all English people are posh and proper and eat watercress sandwiches at tea time, that everyone in the country of "Africa" lives in a hut and wears a leopard-skin toga, and that an average day in India starts with a rickshaw ride and ends with a rousing snake charming show complete with mischeivious monkeys stealing your dosa.

(I don't actually think that, OP. Just having a bit of fun.)

Old 09-25-2021, 02:57 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
To be honest, the area in the video wasn't that bad. Old, and not updated, maybe, but every major city in upstate has neighborhoods that are much worse. As well as neighborhoods that are very, very nice

Old 09-26-2021, 11:03 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papad622 View Post
Every time I see upstate in movies or whatever it looks seriously blighted.

“Place beyond the Pines” set in Schenectady it paints it pretty bad.

is this a true depiction or is upstate New York actually really nice

There is a fair amount of rundown houses in Upstate NY, just like where I live in NW NJ. The areas look similar, with a lot of pre-1930's houses that have seen better days.

Part of that comes down to a dumb, regressive tax that penalizes you for fixing up your house.

Pull a permit to overhaul your kitchen or bathroom, and they raise your taxes based on the estimated cost that the contractor puts down on the permit form. A $30k kitchen remodel means they can assess your house for $30k more. Which may mean significantly increased taxes for many years to come.

That's a big reason why there are so many dilapidated homes in the northeast.

An intelligent, progressive tax structure would give you a break on taxes for fixing up your house. It also would increase people entering the trades and increase capital flow and business in an area, ironically creating more tax revenue. Unfortunately, we're too stupid to do this. The thought is anyone who has money to fix up a house must have too much extra spending money and how do we get our hands on it.

Many homes around here still have knob and tube wiring. Because there's no way people want to be taxed for the next 15 years for changing out wiring to romex. So maybe the lights flicker and dim and you're living in a matchbox. Its just dumb not to incentivize people fixing up their properties.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:40 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
There is a fair amount of rundown houses in Upstate NY, just like where I live in NW NJ. The areas look similar, with a lot of pre-1930's houses that have seen better days.

Part of that comes down to a dumb, regressive tax that penalizes you for fixing up your house.

Pull a permit to overhaul your kitchen or bathroom, and they raise your taxes based on the estimated cost that the contractor puts down on the permit form. A $30k kitchen remodel means they can assess your house for $30k more. Which may mean significantly increased taxes for many years to come.

That's a big reason why there are so many dilapidated homes in the northeast.

An intelligent, progressive tax structure would give you a break on taxes for fixing up your house. It also would increase people entering the trades and increase capital flow and business in an area, ironically creating more tax revenue. Unfortunately, we're too stupid to do this. The thought is anyone who has money to fix up a house must have too much extra spending money and how do we get our hands on it.

Many homes around here still have knob and tube wiring. Because there's no way people want to be taxed for the next 15 years for changing out wiring to romex. So maybe the lights flicker and dim and you're living in a matchbox. Its just dumb not to incentivize people fixing up their properties.

Myself I love those old Victorian homes. It's a crying shame to see so many of them run down. Back then homes had style and character which is lacking in many homes today.

The entire property tax system is unfair. Just because someone has a million dollar home doesn't mean that they use more in public services than someone with a $300,000 dollar home. Not only that but a roof over your head is not a luxury it's a necessity. High property taxes also equate to high rents as those taxes are passed on down to the tenants.

We were paying almost $12,000 a year for a 3 bedroom 1bath 1,100 sq. ft. home in the semi run down City of Peekskill and that was over 11 years ago. By comparison in Arizona we're paying almost $2,000 a year for a 4 bedroom 2 bath 2000 sq. ft. home that's in a much nicer neighborhood comparable to one you'd find in Pleasantville, NY. Both homes had a 3 car garage.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:49 PM

93,385 posts, read 124,009,048 times
On the flip side, there are programs/grants for housing that allow for homeowners to make repairs or improvements that some may not know about. Some examples: https://www.homehq.org/homeowner-loans-grants

So, even the repair aspects will vary, as some actually take advantage of said programs to make home improvements.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:13 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Upstate NY. All of it.
...Evidently..your move upstate was not what you expected. I will take exception to the broad generalization you paste against "all of upstate". As I told one obnoxious "pilgrim" from the downstate metro area.." I dont see a chain on your leg..you are free to move back"...

Old 09-26-2021, 10:30 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times
..Lol....you do know...I I understand why you are saying all that....we both know better......just playin along...Unfortunately...its changing for the worse...eveywhere....

Old 09-27-2021, 06:46 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tioga View Post
..lol....you do know...i i understand why you are saying all that....we both know better......just playin along...unfortunately...its changing for the worse...eveywhere....
Shhhh…

Old 09-27-2021, 06:57 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
On the flip side, there are programs/grants for housing that allow for homeowners to make repairs or improvements that some may not know about. Some examples: https://www.homehq.org/homeowner-loans-grants

So, even the repair aspects will vary, as some actually take advantage of said programs to make home improvements.
I think most people in these areas rent, so that point would be moot. My question is, if they have this money to give away, why did the government take it from homeowners in the first place?

This is how things work in democrat controlled cities. They create a problem, and then offer to fix that problem. It never works, and then the next year offer MORE taxPAYER money to "solve" the issue.

Dumb people electing very crafty politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York