Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 12:54 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,376,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yup. Tell people you’re from NY and instantly they think of Manhattan or Joey Buttafuoco and Amy Fisher. Those few, though heavily populated square miles ruin it for the entire state. Ok slightly more than “a few” square miles but whatever.
Yeah they do. Probably because the state and city both share the same name? Unfortunately for New York something like 11 of its 62 counties vote Democrat and rule the state with an iron fist. Upstate New York is by and large pretty Conservative. However that's not where the majority of people live.

Arizona's almost but not quite the same way with regards to its city and rural populations. Phoenix, Arizona's largest city leans Republican and its suburbs are mostly Republican whereas New York City and it's suburbs are heavily Democrat. Tucson is mostly Democrat because of its large Hispanic population same for Yuma. Flagstaff is Liberal because it is a college town. Coconino County where Flagstaff is located is also Democrat. A little over half the population of Coconino County resides in Flagstaff.

Arizona by and large is a spread out wide open state. You can drive for hours between a town and city and not see another soul. Unlike New York where a lot of cities and towns are right next to each other and crammed together. Arizona is also the sixth largest state in area. It has around 73 million acres. 42% of it is on federal land. About another 50% is agricultural, tribal, and state land. The remaining 8% belongs to it's cities, towns and private land.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-03-2022 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 01:00 PM

8,555 posts, read 4,802,168 times
Let’s be honest, though. Politics takes up a lot of space on this forum, but it’s less important to the average joe. Look at voter turnout, for instance.

Climate has something to do with it, as do the quality of jobs. Taxes for sure are there and are most directly linked to politics. I do think parts of states in the Northeast away from the aforementioned I95 corridor like CNY, WNY, western Mass, South Jersey, etc. do a pretty poor job of marketing themselves. NH and VT probably have the most well-known reputations for not being urban, intense places but the word hasn’t gotten out yet that there’s a fair bit of that all over the Northeast.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:22 PM

5,764 posts, read 4,142,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Yeah they do. Probably because the state and city both share the same name? Unfortunately for New York something like 11 of its 62 counties vote Democrat and rule the state with an iron fist. Upstate New York is by and large pretty Conservative. However that's not where the majority of people live.
Not really. All of the large counties upstate have gone left. Not solidly, but trending. Most of the suburbs and counties surrounding the host county are pretty solid conservative.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:24 PM

93,893 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Let’s be honest, though. Politics takes up a lot of space on this forum, but it’s less important to the average joe. Look at voter turnout, for instance.

Climate has something to do with it, as do the quality of jobs. Taxes for sure are there and are most directly linked to politics. I do think parts of states in the Northeast away from the aforementioned I95 corridor like CNY, WNY, western Mass, South Jersey, etc. do a pretty poor job of marketing themselves. NH and VT probably have the most well-known reputations for not being urban, intense places but the word hasn’t gotten out yet that there’s a fair bit of that all over the Northeast.
Can you say that extremely loud for the people alllllllllll the way in the back, please!

Same for the rest of the post. It is kind of why I post the way that I do, because everyone else is so focused on the political side/topics, that you aren't going to get an idea of what is in other parts of the state or other topics related to the state from much of this forum. It wasn't always like that though.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Not really. All of the large counties upstate have gone left. Not solidly, but trending. Most of the suburbs and counties surrounding the host county are pretty solid conservative.
That's a shame. I'm basing those 11 counties on what it was like before I moved. I guess things have gotten if you'll excuse the pun, progressively worse?

Old 01-03-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Can you say that extremely loud for the people alllllllllll the way in the back, please!

Same for the rest of the post. It is kind of why I post the way that I do, because everyone else is so focused on the political side/topics, that you aren't going to get an idea of what is in other parts of the state or other topics related to the state from much of this forum. It wasn't always like that though.
That's because what happens on the political side has a profound affect on many people's lives. It may not be of any interest to you but it may be to others who read posts on this forum. Especially people who may be contemplating a move to New York State. They have every right to see what they are in for. Even if it's only a handful of people that read these posts. It's really not up to you or anyone else to decide what they should be allowed to read. You always have the option of not reading or responding to posts that you have no interest in reading. With 72,064 posts and read 99,551,438 times you've had plenty of time and opportunities to post "idea's of what is in other parts of the state or other topics related to the state from much of this forum."

People are not just leaving New York because of the weather. Many people are leaving New York in search for a better life for themselves. A life that they could never achieve had they stayed. Politics plays a large part in why many people are fleeing New York in droves and why many refuse to move there. Turning a blind eye to it will only exacerbate the problem as you'll be allowing corrupt politicians to get away with anything. As the voters of New York have been doing for decades on end. There's a reason why New York State is such a God damned expensive place to live in. It has everything to do with politics. New York State has one of if not thee most corrupt legislatures in the country and New Yorker's are paying the price for that. From lost jobs due to businesses fleeing the state because of the high costs of doing business there to astronomical property taxes and the state's overall costs of living.

Who the hell wants to struggle their entire lives while watching their hard earned money going into the giant cesspool of corruption which is New York's state and local governments along with the special interests that they are beholden to? In particular the teachers unions, public education cartel and public employee's unions. Back there at least for us and many others it was not living, it was existing. Those on the Left just don't want to hear any of it and for good reason. They just can't accept that their policies are responsible for making so many people miserable while under their absolute power and control.

Quote:
Is New York the Most Corrupt State in the Nation?
May 11, 2018 · In fact, ‘The data shows New York State has led the nation in public corruption for decades.’ A key factor Heer elides over in this is the involvement of “the media.” https://longreads.com/2018/05/11/is-...in-the-nation/

How New York Became One Of The Most Corrupt States :
May 10, 2013 · In neighboring New Jersey, GOP Gov. Chris Christie first came to prominence as a U.S. attorney, having convicted more than 125 state and local officials. New York Democratic https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallp...corrupt-states

New York Is the Most Politically Toxic Place in America
May 09, 2018 · The claim has been fact-checked: New York is the most corrupt state in America. Or at least it was in 2016, when PolitiFact found that the media had “chronicled more https://newrepublic.com/article/1483...-place-america

Yes, New York has more corrupt officials than any other state
Sep 19, 2016 · PolitiFact | Yes, New York has more corrupt officials than any other state Elaine Phillips stated on August 26, 2016 in a post on Facebook: In the past decade in New York https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...state-decades/

The States From Most To Least Corrupt | FiveThirtyEight
Jan 23, 2015 · We can look at the absolute number of public officials convicted in federal court on corruption. On that score, New York was No. 1 from 1976 to 2010 with 2,522 convictions. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...least-corrupt/

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-03-2022 at 03:19 PM..

Old 01-03-2022, 03:57 PM

5,764 posts, read 4,142,192 times
Quote:
That's because what happens on the political side has a profound affect on many people's lives. It may not be of any interest to you but it may be to others who read posts on this forum. Especially people who may be contemplating a move to New York State. They have every right to see what they are in for. Even if it's only a handful of people that read these posts. It's really not up to you or anyone else to decide what they should be allowed to read. You always have the option of not reading or responding to posts that you have no interest in reading. With 72,064 posts and read 99,551,438 times you've had plenty of time and opportunities to post "idea's of what is in other parts of the state or other topics related to the state from much of this forum."

People are not just leaving New York because of the weather. Many people are leaving New York in search for a better life for themselves. A life that they could never achieve had they stayed. Politics plays a large part in why many people are fleeing New York in droves and why many refuse to move there. Turning a blind eye to it will only exacerbate the problem as you'll be allowing corrupt politicians to get away with anything. As the voters of New York have been doing for decades on end. There's a reason why New York State is such a God damned expensive place to live in. It has everything to do with politics. New York State has one of if not thee most corrupt legislatures in the country and New Yorker's are paying the price for that. From lost jobs due to businesses fleeing the state because of the high costs of doing business there to astronomical property taxes and the state's overall costs of living.

Who the hell wants to struggle their entire lives while watching their hard earned money going into the giant cesspool of corruption which is New York's state and local governments along with the special interests that they are beholden to? In particular the teachers unions, public education cartel and public employee's unions. Back there at least for us and many others it was not living, it was existing. Those on the Left just don't want to hear any of it and for good reason. They just can't accept that their policies are responsible for making so many people miserable while under their absolute power and control.

You are absolutely right.

Other than tourism, pretty much everything is political in some way. It may be that someone will post, let's say an economic proposal, yet when others chime in with missing details, that maybe show the true realities, it's not appreciated. I just wish we could have some decent back and forth. Not happening on this site

Old 01-03-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:

That’s not even what I said. My point is simply that not everything on a relocation doesn’t have to be political and ironically, this is another example. I dare any poster to actually post something non political that would actually help them in their relocation. That is what I’m referring to.

I actually contribute to politically based threads with straight info about what is going on in government, besides an opinion of if everything was just conservative or liberal, things will be alright.

What is ironic is that people will talk about those who leave, but don’t give much consideration to who moves in and many posters still have time from their utopias to chime in on what is going on in NY, while hardly ever posting what is going on in the state.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You are absolutely right.

Other than tourism, pretty much everything is political in some way. It may be that someone will post, let's say an economic proposal, yet when others chime in with missing details, that maybe show the true realities, it's not appreciated. I just wish we could have some decent back and forth. Not happening on this site
Not true, as certain posters can hardly contribute outside of a political based thread, turn simple posts into something political or complains about why a certain area got funding.

There are other topics that get discussed or information given, but no one piggybacks off of it while staying on topic.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:00 PM

8,555 posts, read 4,802,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

It’s a hard sell here.

I could say that not all of California is hardcore left, but that only lands if I then put it in terms of another political movement such as the State of Jefferson movement which is surprisingly popular in far Northern California, north of Redding.

It’s also true that different areas of different states in general have a different feel, so not allowing for nuance in how one thinks of a state or region just simply doesn’t take into account a lot of the neato stuff you can find in some places. I like it when I find something which defies my normal perception of a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York