Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 05:18 PM

93,902 posts, read 124,640,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It’s a hard sell here.

I could say that not all of California is hardcore left, but that only lands if I then put it in terms of another political movement such as the State of Jefferson movement which is surprisingly popular in far Northern California, north of Redding.

It’s also true that different areas of different states in general have a different feel, so not allowing for nuance in how one thinks of a state or region just simply doesn’t take into account a lot of the neato stuff you can find in some places. I like it when I find something which defies my normal perception of a place.
I totally understand and I wish there were more posters on here that would try to post things like that related to the state on here. There was a time when you would have other posters that would post information about things going on in a metro area or share an experience at a venue/restaurant/neighborhood/etc. Even putting people on to a site that touches on a different topic like this site I post at times, would offer another or different side to places across the state: https://theurbanphoenix.com/

That was what I was referring to and I think you understand that. It isn’t about telling people how to post, but like you mentioned, it is rare when people are looking at relocating or information about an area that it is about politics or strictly so.

I will say again in relation to this thread, many of the cities on that list in the original post likely benefit from retirees or at least to some substantial degree. Actually, my mom is originally from the general area of one of the areas mentioned and it has long been known to attract NY retirees that likely vacationed there for years. You may get some non retirees, but many move there to retire(Myrtle Beach). So, there are other reasons why people move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 06:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,376,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That’s not even what I said. My point is simply that not everything on a relocation doesn’t have to be political and ironically, this is another example. I dare any poster to actually post something non political that would actually help them in their relocation. That is what I’m referring to.

I actually contribute to politically based threads with straight info about what is going on in government, besides an opinion of if everything was just conservative or liberal, things will be alright.

What is ironic is that people will talk about those who leave, but don’t give much consideration to who moves in and many posters still have time from their utopias to chime in on what is going on in NY, while hardly ever posting what is going on in the state.
That's all well and good but the topic of this thread is: "Where are People Moving? Not NYS". Which to me means: They are NOT moving TO New York State and for good reason. It's not about "what is going on in the state". That's an entirely different topic. Moving out of New York State is something that I can directly relate to as I did it. One of the reasons and a big one is of course political. Unfortunately I do not have much good to say about New York State otherwise I wouldn't have left all of my entire family, old friends and everything that we were familiar with. Only to move to a state where we knew absolutely no one and into the unknown to start a new life free from all of the crap that we had to put up with in New York State. It was a gamble that I had to take as I became so disgusted as to what New York State has become. Fortunately for us the gamble has paid off more than we could have ever imagined.

Sure the Adirondacks are nice, the Catskill region is nice, the Finger Lakes region is nice. You can go to a Broadway play, dine out in a nice restaurant, go camping, take a ride up Route 9 through the Hudson Valley etc. Big deal! Every state has some nice places and fun things to do. Arguable California probably has the nicest landscape and weather in the entire country. But because of the political situation in that state people too are leaving it in droves. Like New York the inmates are in charge of the asylum and it's only getting worse. What you have in both California, New York and damn near every state run by Democrats is an ineptocracy.

Quote:
"Ineptocracy*(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers."

Old 01-03-2022, 07:50 PM

93,902 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's all well and good but the topic of this thread is: "Where are People Moving? Not NYS". Which to me means: They are NOT moving TO New York State and for good reason. It's not about "what is going on in the state". That's an entirely different topic. Moving out of New York State is something that I can directly relate to as I did it. One of the reasons and a big one is of course political. Unfortunately I do not have much good to say about New York State otherwise I wouldn't have left all of my entire family, old friends and everything that we were familiar with. Only to move to a state where we knew absolutely no one and into the unknown to start a new life free from all of the crap that we had to put up with in New York State. It was a gamble that I had to take as I became so disgusted as to what New York State has become. Fortunately for us the gamble has paid off more than we could have ever imagined.

Sure the Adirondacks are nice, the Catskill region is nice, the Finger Lakes region is nice. You can go to a Broadway play, dine out in a nice restaurant, go camping, take a ride up Route 9 through the Hudson Valley etc. Big deal! Every state has some nice places and fun things to do. Arguable California probably has the nicest landscape and weather in the entire country. But because of the political situation in that state people too are leaving it in droves. Like New York the inmates are in charge of the asylum and it's only getting worse. What you have in both California, New York and damn near every state run by Democrats is an ineptocracy.
The issue based upon the list is odd, as it is just a typical fluff top 25 list that literally has just several areas from FL and some other Southern and Western areas. That’s it. It leaves out the vast majority of areas in the vast majority of states. So, the use of the list to illustrate the headline of the threat is faulty. Especially given the recent population estimates(key word), even though the 2020 showed an all time high for population for the state. So, basically a lot remains to be seen.

Also, we have to make the distinction between politics and governance, which aren’t necessarily the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York