Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,679 times

Advertisements

Yikes, another good read about siting, this one not close to homes but destroying Tallgrass and mixed prairie. This article is good at outlining the methods that the town boards and wind companies are using to push their agenda through onto the residents. It also explains how the wind compainies make all the money and the people are left holding the bag....

Opponents offered downside of wind farms
"The Flint Hills and Smoky Hills are the last largest pieces of contiguous Tallgrass and Mixed Prairie left in North America. They are recognized as “World Class Grasslands” and cannot be duplicated, replaced, or repaired to its original form once it is destroyed..."

http://www.windaction.org/news/7524

Old 01-25-2007, 07:08 AM

Another opinion piece today regarding the Ithaca proposal of John Rancich. It has some good general info on how these things are pushed through.

Enfield wind farm project is a fraud at fundamental level
http://www.windaction.org/opinions/7563

Old 01-26-2007, 08:44 AM

21 posts, read 49,230 times
Default News from Maine

Complete article at www.wind-watch.org/

Wendy and Perrin Todd knew what would happen to their view of Mars Hill Mountain when crews starting erecting wind towers near their backyard.

They braced themselves when their home, newly built on the north side of the mountain, shook because of the blasting.

But what shocked them — and what they said this week they should not be expected to live with — is the noise.

“They turned on tower Number 9, and almost immediately it made enough noise that it was like, ‘Oh my gosh, that can’t be right,’” Wendy Todd said.

“It all depends on the wind speed and direction, but the best way to describe it is you step outside and look up thinking there’s an airplane. It’s like a high-range jet, high-low roar, but with the windmills, there’s a sort of on and off ‘phfoop … phfoop … phfoop’ noise.”

That’s one “phfoop” or more every two seconds as the turbine’s three blades rotate from 10 to 22 revolutions per minute. It’s loud enough, Todd said, that she can hold her cell phone outside her home and the person on the other end of the call can clearly hear the sound.

Even though tower No. 9 has been shut down in the wake of noise complaints, several local residents who live close to the mountain said they’re worried about what they’ll hear when all 28 wind turbines start rotating sometime in mid-February. Currently 16 turbines are in operation.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:54 AM

21 posts, read 49,230 times
Default Letter from Harrisburg PA

In response to the article, “Firm plans to open wind farm in 2009″ (Jan. 14):

The other day I was following a Hummer with a “Conserve Natural Resources” license plate. Was the driver being sarcastic? Does that driver think that encouraging others to care about our planet gives him/her the license to destroy it?

Might wind farms be another “license symbol,” sending a similarly contrary message?

Before attending a conference on wind energy last December, I was leaning toward thinking wind turbines could be beneficial.

Unfortunately, as your article pointed out, their contribution to our overall energy appetite is negligible. They are too little, too late, and their ecological ill effects are tremendous.

One scientist at the conference titled his message: “What we get in exchange for environmental harm,” and we don’t get much.

Wind energy, like oil, means huge profits for a few while the rest of us watch life on our planet face yet another threat to extinction.

How I wish that the threat of having our hillsides marred with giant, noisy demons would inspire each of us to use just a little bit less energy.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Mono-rail, Springfield NEEDs one

Navin, I read this last one this morning. So damn funny. A hummer with that plate, what a Jack###. I would have swerved of the raod laughing if I were behind that person. The rest of the letter is in NO WAY funny, and more of the same bad news we all know. The first opinion piece you posted, well that made me almost lose my breakfast. I wish the paid-off, narrow-minded, all for the money Town Boards would READ this stuff too. They seem to have been hypnotized by the lies and promises of the wind-companies, they don't seem to have done any research into the people without leases and gag-orders that live under these beasts. It is heartbreaking, and terrifying as I am in the wake of another wave heading my way.

This whole thing reminds me of the Monorail episode of the Simpsons......Monorail, Monorail, we all need a Monorail. A monorail is JUST what Springfield needs. Build it, and it doesn't go from or to anywhere and it runs off the track the first time out with the all the balloons, parades, ribbon cutting and celebration. Once it runs out of control, the developer is no where to be found.....he is heading to the next town to sell/scam the same thing.............Monorail, Monorail........

Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Angry The Harsh Reality

A good piece on how the town governments are ignoring the desires of taxpayers and ramming the industrial development throught the system. Scary stuff folks, our elected officials don't give a rat's butt about what we, as taxpayers, want. This is a good read!

http://www.windaction.org/opinions/7580

Because Highland County’s supervisors long ago dismissed the concerns of the great majority of their constituents about the negative effects of industrial scale wind power on tourism and viewsheds......The harsh reality seems to be that local elected leaders carry a great deal of weight when they make their decisions, even if their decisions are reckless or indifferent to the opinions of those who put them in office. Let this be a warning to voters this November.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,433 times
I read an excellent article today in Mother Earth News (Whither Wind? by Charles Komanoff) about wind turbines. I agree with the author that although they are not, in and of themselves, the answer to our oil/pollution problem, they are definitely a step in the right direction. Yes, we need to also conserve electricity, educate the public more, lower consumption via cars. If we are able to conserve more, then the wind power becomes that much more applicable. As Komanoff stated, "If Congress enacted an energy policy that harnessed the spectrum of cost-effective energy efficiency together with renewable energy, ensuring that fossil fuel use shrank...a windmill's contribution to climate protection might actually register..."

As far as landscapes and aesthetics, this summer I spent a lot of time in Pennsylvania where there were many wind turbines, there was something graceful and hypnotic about them. I wouldn't have minded seeing them from my home. (We weren't close enough to hear them so I won't touch that.) I think the wind turbines are certainly more aesthetically pleasing than an oil derrick. If I had to choose between the two, without a doubt, I would choose the wind turbine. Because that isn't the choice facing us, most people just don't want it at all. The results are too intangible to us to matter.

As Komanoff points out, "If the thousands of tons of coal a year that your wind farm will replace were being mined a mile from your house, it might be a little easier to take."

I'm not sure what is right, but this article made a lot of sense to me. Particularly since I just watched "An Inconvenient Truth" again. It doesn't seem like a Yes/No issue. Its the siting issues that need to be worked out, and a more comprehensive approach that incorporates other technologies that will support this one, and increase its impact.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:48 PM

Hi Karen, thanks for joining the thread and sharing your research/views.

As you mentioned Al's movie, I wonder if you saw this article regarding "Al's truth"

Below is the link, please do read as I think you may find it contains useful facts and some interesting stuff>Actually EVERYONE on the thread should read this:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...re-green_x.htm

A snipit:"Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va."
"But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths."

I am not trying to counterpoint you, but I am trying to convey that not everything is as black and white as it seems. Sadly, there is a lot of gray, a lot of manipulating going on by the powers that be Our politicians don't have enough respect for their citizens to make decisions after careful, extensive research. Politics pushes things through that will benefit them, not us. Education and knowledge is power, we all deserve power, no pun intended!

Last edited by JustSayNo; 01-26-2007 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 01-26-2007, 05:01 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
Well, Al Gore is a career politician, which pretty much guarntees that he is a hypocrite, and for sure his hypocracy should be exposed (as should the hypocracy of all politicians, the financial and leadership elite, etc.). But the failings of the messenger shouldn't overshadow a look at the message. Interesting and scary stuff on its way in the form of the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

[url] http://environment.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1995472,00.html [url]

note: The Guardian isn't the WSJ, but it isn't a touchy-feely-environmental rag either. And this report IS NOT the output of a bunch of flacks hoping to make a buck of off 'alternative' energies- it is thousands of 'mainstream' scientists.

The problem is that keeping the planet habitable for humanity seems to be incompatible with the perpetual growth mandate of late-stage capitalism (no, I'm not anti-capitalist, but we might want to set some limits somewhere....). Conservation/cutting back on energy consumption is a contraction, and there is no growth/profit in contraction.

But back to wind....!

JustSayNo, I too like to think that knowledge and education equals power, but with local 'authorities' pushing these plans through with no support, it makes me wonder! Even when people have 'knowledge' they either vote the wrong people in or once the politicians they knowledgeably vote for get into office they turn around and do exactly what they said the wouldn't when they were running!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:47 AM

Oh Honey, as usual I agree. Politicians are indeed a species of their own, and a wiley species at that. I have made my opinions clear on politicians and politics! I offered that article because when I first read it my mouth dropped! While his movie does make good points, points each of us should consider as we move about our daily lives, it is is also a bit dramatic, and has been used by so many as a tool to get their agenda through. Therefore, whenever an individual brings the movie up, I can't help but bring this article up too. To me, it makes one stop and think about everything that is presented to us to watch and read. I learned long ago to not take anything at face value-I don't believe everything I read or see.

Anyhow, regarding local politics, I again agree. But, I have seen in my town that often the problem is lack of information, not lack of concern or opinion. Many of us have worked very hard to research and share what we know with anyone whom is interested. In spite of our Town Board flip flopping every week like a beached fish on the turbine issue, it seems like we are making some headway. An article came out this week and it seems, this week, the Board is HEARING the opinions of so many in our town-that we would rather see alternative development insteed of turbines that serve a select few and devaste so many. It appears that our voice is being heard, that there is a STRONG objection to the 5 or 6 leaseholders getting their way, getting their few thousand dollars per turbine. Many are willing and able to work on other ideas to increase the economic viability for all the town residents, to increase the sustainability of our town together while maintaining it's core vision as outlined in the Town's Comprehensive Plan.

It is an uphill battle, but I believe I am beginning to see a literal example of knowledge and information providing the strength and courage to stand up for what you believe, armed with solid information and unwavering conviction.

Gosh I hope I am right.

Last edited by JustSayNo; 01-27-2007 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: the dredded typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York