Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 03:33 PM

93,894 posts, read 124,640,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
And the insanity continues. I will help you out. An example of a catch 22 could be someone was able to secure an apartment, but didn't have the income to pay. That's why I say where is the catch 22? This is about securing the apartment at a lower rate. How does the landlord benefit when his income has been cut?
You are actually making my point as to why it is a Catch 22, which I already explained myself. Now if the landlord increases the rent too much, like one of the examples illustrated, guess what happens? That tenant now gets priced out, which I also already mentioned in my explanation. If you read the article I referred to, it was a similar situation, where a tenant in a Bay Area had their rent go up substantially, but because CA has a cap on rent increases, in parts of the state like Los Angeles, that may not be enough of an increase. That latter part was mentioned by the landlord in that article, which you likely did not read. So, that was what I meant by a Catch 22, but it wasn't for just landlords, but for tenants too. I know I spoon feed a lot of information on here, but a simple read and watching of a segment would have made the simple point exactly that, simple.

Also, how would someone be able to secure an apartment if they didn't have proof of payment/no income to pay rent? Really? That’s not being discussed in this thread.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-05-2022 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 03:48 PM

5,764 posts, read 4,142,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You are actually making my point as to why it is a Catch 22, which I already explained myself. Now if the landlord increases the rent too much, like one of the examples illustrated, guess what happens? That tenant now gets priced out, which I also already mentioned in my explanation. If you read the article I referred to, it was a similar situation, where a tenant in a Bay Area had their rent go up substantially, but because CA has a cap on rent increases, in parts of the state like Los Angeles, that may not be enough of an increase. That latter part was mentioned by the landlord in that article, which you likely did not read. So, that was what I meant by a Catch 22, but it wasn't for just landlords, but for tenants too. I know I spoon feed a lot of information on here, but a simple read and watching of a segment would have made the simple point exactly that, simple.

Also, how would someone be able to secure an apartment if they didn't have proof of payment? Really?
That's why I said none of it makes any sense. So you post a lot of links. It would be much preferable if you summarize the point you are trying to make instead of making people go back and RE-READ the article, not knowing what YOU are trying to say. Not necessarily the article's point. YOUR POINT

Old 08-05-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
That's why I said none of it makes any sense. So you post a lot of links. It would be much preferable if you summarize the point you are trying to make instead of making people go back and RE-READ the article, not knowing what YOU are trying to say. Not necessarily the article's point. YOUR POINT
I did make a point based on the information posted by Bugsy and a local example I was familiar with. You don’t get to decide how people make their point. Especially when you entered that portion of the thread without context and unaware of what I was referring to.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I did make a point based on the information posted by Bugsy and a local example I was familiar with. You don’t get to decide how people make their point. Especially when you entered that portion of the thread without context and unaware of what I was referring to.
Ok, that was another waste of time, just trying to understand what you are saying. Can't believe that is so hard. I have no choice but to deduct that you don't understand the subject. It's OK. You don't have to comment on every thread. I sure don't know everything. I only comment on what I know.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:36 PM

165 posts, read 104,217 times
A catch 22 is a no-win situation. For example the rent is too damn high. If I acquiesce and pay these absurd prices, then I become part of the problem (and I also become broke). But if I don't pay the absurd prices I am homeless. I can't win. That's a catch 22.
I guess the catch 22 / no-win situation for Kingston is: ya can't please everyone. Either the landlords are going to be upset (rent control) or the people who need affordable housing are going to be upset (rent out of control.)

Old 08-05-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsnlocks View Post
A catch 22 is a no-win situation. For example the rent is too damn high. If I acquiesce and pay these absurd prices, then I become part of the problem (and I also become broke). But if I don't pay the absurd prices I am homeless. I can't win. That's a catch 22.
I guess the catch 22 / no-win situation for Kingston is: ya can't please everyone. Either the landlords are going to be upset (rent control) or the people who need affordable housing are going to be upset (rent out of control.)
Rent is never out of control, unless people aren't paying it. It's all in the eye of the beholder. As long as people are willing to pay the rent, how can you say it's out of control?

Old 08-05-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
That was basically what I was saying or trying to say, while referring to other examples in other areas. Thank you!

This was mentioned in an article posted earlier in the thread: “The only people this won’t help are corporate landlords,” said Jonathan Bix, executive director at For the Many, after the Kingston vote. “We applaud Mayor Steve Noble and the Kingston council for taking this step to protect housing affordability. This will benefit long-term residents, whether owners or renters.”

Source: https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2022/07/...-rent-control/

Old 08-05-2022, 08:30 PM

165 posts, read 104,217 times
Quote:
Rent is never out of control, unless people aren't paying it. It's all in the eye of the beholder. As long as people are willing to pay the rent, how can you say it's out of control?
The free market solution to the current prices would be voluntary mass homelessness. People are not paying these obscene prices because they want to, or because they believe they're getting a fair value for their money. They're paying these prices because they are forced to, because the alternatives are completely untenable, even life-threatening.
Saying "as long as there are people willing to pay the rent then the rent is not out of control" is like saying gas prices are fine and dandy because people are still filling up their tanks, and the taxes must not be too high because people keep on paying them.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
The free market solution to the current prices would be voluntary mass homelessness. People are not paying these obscene prices because they want to, or because they believe they're getting a fair value for their money. They're paying these prices because they are forced to, because the alternatives are completely untenable, even life-threatening.
Saying "as long as there are people willing to pay the rent then the rent is not out of control" is like saying gas prices are fine and dandy because people are still filling up their tanks, and the taxes must not be too high because people keep on paying them.
As long as the homelessness is voluntarily, as you say, what is the problem? Many freely choose that lifestyle. Myself, I volunteered to be a homeowner.

I think what you are missing, and maybe the reason some people, especially the young, hate the free market is they expect instant gratification. That is not how it works. It takes time, but eventually it all works out. Throw in rent control, stabilization, section 8, and dozens of other taxes, regulations and fees, and it throws the equation off. Rents could be much cheaper if there wasn't so much "help". We do not have a free market currently.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM

^I don’t think the point is that people are truly volunteering to be homeless, but the market in many places is getting out of control to the point that it is becoming more and more out of reach for many (working)people in a country where income hasn’t kept pace with inflation even prior to what we have now. Hence, why some of these things are in place or people would have to move further and further out in order to afford a place to live. So, perhaps those in the market need to pay more in order to keep pace with inflation and in turn, people can afford the increases in rent. This is especially the case now, given the actions of corporate landlords and people moving from higher income/cost of living areas bringing their income to lower cost of living areas, which pushes the prices of rent/housing up in these latter areas.

Just so people don’t think I’m making that up: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-for-decades/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-06-2022 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York