Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2023, 06:28 AM

1,468 posts, read 762,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As the opinion piece mentioned, I don’t think the religious aspect comes into play for the state, as they obviously overlooked it in order to pick them in the first place.

I think this simply comes down to demand for restaurant access 7 days a week. With this said, it is odd that the closing of the restaurant on Sundays wasn’t considered before the agreement between the Thruway and restaurant.
But now I feel like chick fil a can say wait it was ok when we started. Now a politicians who’s vocally said he doesn’t like chick fil a and doesn’t agree with our contributions to whatever organizations and are saying we need to open Sunday when you know we won’t for religious reasons as a way to get us out.

They can mention the Covid mandates and religious gatherings. They can show a pattern easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 06:36 AM

93,444 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
But now I feel like chick fil a can say wait it was ok when we started. Now a politicians who’s vocally said he doesn’t like chick fil a and doesn’t agree with our contributions to whatever organizations and are saying we need to open Sunday when you know we won’t for religious reasons as a way to get us out.

They can mention the Covid mandates and religious gatherings. They can show a pattern easily.
From reading the Times-Union article/opinion piece, while some mention the religious aspect, I think the larger issue is with availability of the restaurant more than anything else. I just can’t get over how they didn’t see this ahead of time though.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:40 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,873,089 times
Quote:
From reading the Times-Union article/opinion piece, while some mention the religious aspect, I think the larger issue is with availability of the restaurant more than anything else. I just can’t get over how they didn’t see this ahead of time though.

I sure can
It's NY state. They're incompetent.

This is what happens when people spend their entire lives in the public sector dealing with other peoples money with no real world experience or accountability.

How this wasn't identified within contract scoping is hilarious.

Chick fila is widely known everywhere to close on Sundays. Like it love it hate it, it is what it is.

The state could mismanage their way out of a wet paper bag.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:46 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,106,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Has nothing to do with power. Traffic runs on the Thruway 24/7. I used to be a gas station attendant at Guilderland Service Area (just past Exit 25 on the I-90 Eastbound side), summers of 1997-1999. We were open 24/7, no exceptions. I worked my share of 11 PM to 7 AM shifts.
So are the restaurants open 24/7 also?

Old 12-20-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I sure can
It's NY state. They're incompetent.

This is what happens when people spend their entire lives in the public sector dealing with other peoples money with no real world experience or accountability.

How this wasn't identified within contract scoping is hilarious.

Chick fila is widely known everywhere to close on Sundays. Like it love it hate it, it is what it is.

The state could mismanage their way out of a wet paper bag.
I think they just miscalculated the demand, as there are other options that are open, but with Chik-Fil-A closed on Sundays, that just makes the lines longer for the other places that are open on that day.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:07 AM

Some more info about Chick-fil-A. Appears to be politically motivated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...7dd6ff59&ei=34

Old 12-20-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Some more info about Chick-fil-A. Appears to be politically motivated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...7dd6ff59&ei=34
This likely depends on the outlet used, but we also have to consider why would Chik-Fil-A be considered in the first place, let alone used knowing their reasoning for closing on Sundays?

Old 12-20-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
This likely depends on the outlet used, but we also have to consider why would Chik-Fil-A be considered in the first place, let alone used knowing their reasoning for closing on Sundays?
Most likely they were choosen because of customer demand. If you red the article, you would know that Applegreen knew how their operation worked. They make more money in 6 days, than others make in 7, so no one is getting hurt financially.

There are also Popeyes along the thruway, so why not just go there? I'm sure that's the choice for those writing this legislation.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Most likely they were choosen because of customer demand. If you red the article, you would know that Applegreen knew how their operation worked. They make more money in 6 days, than others make in 7, so no one is getting hurt financially.

There are also Popeyes along the thruway, so why not just go there? I'm sure that's the choice for those writing this legislation.
That's the reason why the opinion piece and even I see this as a matter of making more money due to the demand. In turn, that even more money coming in.

Old 12-21-2023, 07:46 AM

8,510 posts, read 4,752,974 times
I may or may not work for Applegreen…and of course I have to put in the full disclaimer that I definitely don’t speak for them or on behalf of them here.

CFA is popular enough to be demanded. The thinking is, the attached c-store has hot food available 24/7, so overnight when the fast food stalls are closed, there’s at least something available, ditto on CFA’s Sunday closures.

The toll road authority is its own bugaboo. It’s actually a pretty fragile setup as far as the travel plazas go with too many cooks in the kitchen, and unfortunately both reason and customers are more or less the first priorities to get lost in the mix. Ultimately the decisions lie in the state’s hands, and they seem to not set their priorities correctly. Unfortunately fealty to authority is a bit of a cultural norm up here, so nothing gets done.

Last edited by jcp123; 12-21-2023 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York