Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2023, 07:36 PM

1,468 posts, read 762,035 times

Advertisements

Fun fact McDonald’s doesn’t exist on the through way anymore they were run out by the new vendors and replaced by their partnership with Burger King.

Nys let this vendor come in and operate 24/7. The food need is covered allegedly with hot dogs and pizza via apple green.

So I guess what’s the issue ? Nys handed it to them why aren’t they good enough ? 450 million dollar project.

“ Applegreen is set to open several service stations and convenience stores across the New York Thruway throughout 2023. McDonald’s restaurants will be replaced by the brand’s sites to offer several of its amenities such as coffee service, snacks and beverages, hot meals and grab-and-go food selections.”

Very smart business move. They know Sunday is busy. They know chick fil a is closed Sundays. They hustled nys and some of you/us on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 07:46 PM

93,444 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The funny thing about this bill, while it wants to force 7 day operations, those very people who object, would not eat at C-f-a any day of the week anyway.
This happens all the time, in terms of bills, as they may get formed for other reasons, like what I mentioned many times on here. You may have issues with an aspect of something related to a bill, but may form it for other bigger picture reasons. Think of the Cannabis legislation as an example of this.

Old 12-22-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This happens all the time, in terms of bills, as they may get formed for other reasons, like what I mentioned many times on here. You may have issues with an aspect of something related to a bill, but may form it for other bigger picture reasons. Think of the Cannabis legislation as an example of this.
Fair point. It’s like the salt tax cap enacted. It forces government to get spending under control or punish its residents by losing the tax deduction benefit. Probably why the cannibals and sports betting bills were passed. To raise tax revenue to offset the spending.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Fair point. It’s like the salt tax cap enacted. It forces government to get spending under control. Probably way the cannibals and sports betting bills were passed. To raise tax revenue.
Ding, Ding, Ding! Now you are understanding where I am coming from. It is to capitalize off of certain trends, behaviors and demands. Hence my statements about being more capitalist than political. You could even add something such as “integration”, which just allowed the “mainstream” to get more access to certain markets that segregation didn’t allow for or at least comprehensively. So, there many examples of legislation that comes up where the person or persons that brings it to a legislature may have some qualms, but has a long term goal that in many cases is economic.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Ding, Ding, Ding! Now you are understanding where I am coming from. It is to capitalize off of certain trends, behaviors and demands. Hence my statements about being more capitalist than political.
See i was trying to be sarcastic by mentioning the salt cap tax and I probably failed at getting that across lol. I think it’s more political than capitalism Because a free market shouldn’t be forced by government. Free market no government interference. Regulated marked involves government interfering with supply and demand. We have the same opinion on everything but the capitalism vs political. Which usually never happens lol.

But i do respect your opinions/facts and insight even though they differ a little from mine

Old 12-22-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
See i was trying to be sarcastic by mentioning the salt cap tax. I think it’s more political than capitalism Because a free market shouldn’t be forced by government. We have the same opinion on everything but the capitalism vs political. Which usually never happens lol.

But i do respect your opinions/facts and insight even though they differ a little from mine
No problem, but you have to ask yourself this, is the "free market" actually "free"? I ask because there have always been some form of "interference"(for lack of a better word) of sort. For instance, with the Cannabis aspect, there are people that can "market"/sell said product without interference, but there are certain negative consequences that would occur if they were caught. Now, said product can be sold within certain regulations. So, there has and will be some form of regulation/consequence within that industry. This goes for other industries as well.

To bring it back to the Thruway, if this bill gets passed and Chik-Fil-A stays, the state looks at that as a "win" in terms of more revenue/money into the economy, opinions about Chik-Fil-A be damned. So, that appears to be the bottom line aspect of the bill, in spite of feelings towards certain aspects of the company.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
When I worked at Guilderland Service Area the food place was McDonald's and they WERE open all night. If you saw my previous post on here, that was back in the 1990's. If they've changed since 1999, which was the last time I worked at that plaza, I would not know, because I rarely have occasion to drive the Thruway these days. 99% of my highway driving in the last 20+ years has taken place on the Northway.

Even if they are not open overnight, the restaurants DO need to be open 7 days a week. I worked at Mickey D's at Guilderland in 1995, I dreaded being behind the counter when a tour bus pulled up!

I also used to attend school in Rockland County, which meant driving back and forth from my home in Schenectady when I'd come home on weekends. I-87 Southbound gets VERY busy on Sunday afternoons, especially during leaf-peeping season.
It wasn't that long ago before McDonalds were open 24 hours that some people in the Syracuse area would go to the location that was at the DeWitt Service Area, because it was the only or at least closest late night location open.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
No problem, but you have to ask yourself this, is the "free market" actually "free"? I ask because there have always been some form of "interference"(for lack of a better word) of sort. For instance, with the Cannabis aspect, there are people that can "market"/sell said product without interference, but there are certain negative consequences that would occur if they were caught. Now, said product can be sold within certain regulations. So, there has and will be some form of regulation/consequence within that industry. This goes for other industries as well.

To bring it back to the Thruway, if this bill gets passed and Chik-Fil-A stays, the state looks at that as a "win" in terms of more revenue/money into the economy, opinions about Chik-Fil-A be damned. So, that appears to be the bottom line aspect of the bill, in spite of feelings towards certain aspects of the company.
I would bring it back to what I said before. Your driving home with lets say 4 people and you want to eat. You’ll eat and still purchase a meal from the other open restaurant and spend pretty much the same amount. So state gets same tax revenue. It’s just money from a different restaurant.

If anything this company applegreen did their research. They said 85 percent first go to the restroom at a stop. Then based on the cleanliness people decide if they will eat there. Who knows how true that is when your desperate but they plan on keeping these places nice and clean. Maybe they will generate even more money with their business model. 450 million dollar project. I would like to think they know what they are doing.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:08 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,106,092 times
This whole conversation is just stupid, and shows how far government wants to go to regulate every aspect of our lives. Using a private business to score political points is the real problem. What we have is 2 private companies doing business with each other.

Oh, you want the government to intervein? The government already controls so much of private businesses, like wages, for instance.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
This whole conversation is just stupid, and shows how far government wants to go to regulate every aspect of our lives. Using a private business to score political points is the real problem. What we have is 2 private companies doing business with each other.

Oh, you want the government to intervein? The government already controls so much of private businesses, like wages, for instance.
This is why I say this is about more revenue more so than politics. Especially in the grand scheme, many people can do without Chik-Fil-A and it wouldn’t have anything to do with politics. Let alone that in spite of opinions, money talks and if more can be made, people will do what they have to do to make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York