Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 01:31 PM

84 posts, read 94,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by batonjohn View Post
The last poster had many many legitimate questions about Ithaca that I was in the middle of drafting a response to.
Please do answer! I think the moderator would agree that's on-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 01:35 PM

22 posts, read 14,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer81 View Post
I've definitely seen many complaints about Ithaca getting more dangerous in recent years. But I also notice people almost everywhere seem to feel less safe lately compared to pre-pandemic times.

You say you were led to believe there are no bad neighborhoods in Ithaca. I've had the opposite experience in my research. I get the impression there are no good neighborhoods. But Cayuga Heights just outside Ithaca seems nice and upscale. (I wouldn't personally want to live there, but it does look nice.)

What do you mean housing is "bad" - like it's ugly or in poor shape?

Housing is extremely expensive and houses are in bad condition for the most part. Cayuga Heights is definitely another reasonable neighborhood.

Great to read that the young crowd is actually a smaller group than one might expect! Do the Cornell and IC students generally clear out in the summer or do they stick around? When you say crusty do you mean surly and ornery? Or like gross and dirty?

They do clear out in the summer and during breaks. Roads are noticeable quieter. I think when I mean crusty, the native Ithacan. Generally uneducated, more redneck than you would think.

Yes I have seen a lot of talk about these topics on other forums, in local newspapers, and there's also a Youtube guy that makes videos about Ithaca and he did one titled "Ithaca is not safe anymore" (not sure how seriously to take that one.) Many complaints about police not caring about crime. Lots of stories about break-ins, muggings, and other violent crime. People saying they no longer feel safe in the areas and neighborhoods they previously considered to be safe (including Fall Creek.)

There is a middle ground. You definitely get some further rightwing people (like that youtuber) who might even take it too far in my opinion. But yes, Ithaca is definitely not somewhere I would claim is a safe place to raise a family.

I bet the food is pretty good in Ithaca. Do you really consider the restaurants to be a downside of Ithaca?

Food is average. While downside isn't the right word, I would say it is another piece of Ithaca that is tremendously overhyped and overvalued in both quality and quantity.

Thanks for getting specific and naming street names, that's helpful. Do you think Fall Creek is definitively the best part of town to live in? I've read it's not as nice as it used to be.

In the city of Ithaca, except for Collegetown, I would say Fall Creek is the only place that I would be comfortable with a family and kids - even then you'll find a lot of Ithaca is block to block or street to street. Because Tompkins Community Action and INHS sweep up dilapidated properties and then place Section 8 or other low income, you'll see that you can have issues on one block vs another. The commons and surrounding areas are not good, the Northside triangle is degraded, anything Southside is definitely a personal safety risk about all else.

Do you feel unsafe pretty much everywhere throughout downtown Ithaca and the Commons? How about the Wegmans? How's the area west of the inlet?
I would say yes, basically. I think you could find a nice walk through Fall Creek. I have lived in many countries, continents, cities big and small - I would argue a twilight walk from the tip of the Commons through when it becomes State Street to 13 would arguable one of the grossest, dirtiest, and unsafe walks.

Old 04-17-2023, 01:39 PM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Red is for mod actions only.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-17-2023, 01:40 PM

84 posts, read 94,171 times
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! Sad to read that the downtown and Commons are not good. Would you recommend against visiting that area as a tourist?

Old 04-17-2023, 02:02 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Belle Sherman, which is a residential neighborhood east of Collegetown, is another nice area of the city on its eastern edge. It has an elementary school of the same name.

You will also find nice homes on West Hill, South Hill and what is left of SFH's in the Cornell Heights area near Cayuga Heights as well. As told to me by Ex-Ithacan, West Hill tends to be more affordable, as it is away from the highly developed Downtown and the college campuses.

Stewart Park is a nice park on the lake that is worth checking out as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-17-2023 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-17-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Belle Sherman, which is a residential neighborhood east of Collegetown, is another nice area of the city on its eastern edge. It has an elementary school of the same name.

You will also find nice homes on West Hill, South Hill and what is left of SFH's in the Cornell Heights area near Cayuga Heights as well. As told to me by Ex-Ithacan, West Hill tends to be more affordable, as it is away from the highly developed Downtown and the college campuses.

Stewart Park is a nice park on the lake that is worth checking out as well.

It's true, Belle Sherman is a nice neighborhood. But supply is so limited that unless you can wait and pick and choose your exact date to move to Ithaca (say over the course of a year or two), you'll be out of luck to live there.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:27 PM

961 posts, read 2,502,359 times
With all due respect to those who post here, I will add my thoughts. My experience with the Ithaca area goes back over 35 years. Living a county away, Ithaca was a nice alternative for recreation(Cayuga Lake) and going out in my dating days(bars and restaurants). With a bunch of my time spent all over the place in the military (here and across the big pond), I would see the Ithaca area at random times/seasons. Has the area changed since the 80's?...YES. Not all bad, not all good. Economically..it has weathered some of our downturns, upstate. While some aspects of Ithaca are somewhat too "left of center" for me, if that works for those who live there...fine. Redirection/cuts in law enforcement have not helped(my opinion). Rents and home prices are higher than surrounding counties, due for the most part, to the 2 colleges located in Ithaca. As for any fixes/solutions to issues mentioned by the OP, that's "above my pay grade"...but just looking around the entire City Data forum...things seem to be in transition , everywhere.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:43 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I believe a couple/few of them were domestics and/or outside of the city.

Old 08-18-2023, 03:31 AM

Correction - Every single one of those took place within the city of Ithaca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York