Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 04:06 AM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by batonjohn View Post
Correction - Every single one of those took place within the city of Ithaca.
I believe the one on Danby Road was a domestic incident just outside of the city. It literally says that it was in the town of Ithaca, which is a different municipality than the city of Ithaca.

It also looks like a couple/few are beefs and another involving someone with a mental health issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 07:56 AM

22 posts, read 14,894 times
A beef where people shoot at other people neglect the safety of the entire city. If you feel safe walking through these streets then I suggest you live there. It's quite clear there are massive amounts of shootings throughout the city and as a simple bystander you are directly at risk.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:57 AM

Shooting on Ithaca Commons, City of Ithaca
https://ithacavoice.org/2023/07/poli...t-two-injured/

Shooting on Seneca Street, City of Ithaca
https://www.ithaca.com/news/ithaca/i...1556d2980.html

Shooting on East State Street, City of Ithaca
https://www.ithaca.com/news/ithaca/t...2af47ebc9.html

Old 08-18-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
A beef where people shoot at other people neglect the safety of the entire city. If you feel safe walking through these streets then I suggest you live there. It's quite clear there are massive amounts of shootings throughout the city and as a simple bystander you are directly at risk.
A beef is between people that know each other, not at random. That was the point I am making.

In your post above, it looks like the 1st and 3rd article are the same incident from different outlets. The second article is likely related to the 3rd in your other post.

Again, in the grand scheme of things, Ithaca still at worst has an average crime rate as a city and definitely as an area. It is a steadily growing area that is on the radar now and in turn, it can attract a range of people.

However, some of this may have to do with the lack of staffing in the Ithaca PD. Hence, the recruiting video/push by the department.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=---8iG1e..._MbH99XlFUPYCH

https://www.cityofithaca.org/309/Recruitment

Old 08-18-2023, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A beef is between people that know each other, not at random. That was the point I am making.

In your post above, it looks like the 1st and 3rd article are the same incident from different outlets. The second article is likely related to the 3rd in your other post.

Again, in the grand scheme of things, Ithaca still at worst has an average crime rate as a city and definitely as an area. It is a steadily growing area that is on the radar now and in turn, it can attract a range of people.

However, some of this may have to do with the lack of staffing in the Ithaca PD. Hence, the recruiting video/push by the department.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=---8iG1e..._MbH99XlFUPYCH

https://www.cityofithaca.org/309/Recruitment
A beef to people is illegal firearms shooting indiscriminately at others. If you are comfortable living next to completely random shootings that’s your perogative. Again your points are mostly mute as you do not reside within the city yet reside much further (100s of miles away). My buyer beware post is for others considering the city of Ithaca as a place to live and honestly is most likely not a thread for those like yourself that have no interest.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:05 PM

Quote:
A beef to people is illegal firearms shooting indiscriminately at others. If you are comfortable living next to completely random shootings that’s your perogative. Again your points are mostly mute as you do not reside within the city yet reside much further (100s of miles away). My buyer beware post is for others considering the city of Ithaca as a place to live and honestly is most likely not a thread for those like yourself that have no interest.
No, what is meant by a beef is when people that know each other are in an ongoing dispute that can get violent and no I don't live 100's of miles away. In fact, it is only an hour away and it is only that long due to Routes 281 and 13. So, we get news from the Ithaca area, because it is one of the closest media markets to the city. It is not that far away(literally 2 counties/roughly 50 miles away away from where I live).

Again, even with said 5 or 6 incidents, in which one was outside of the city/a domestic, the overall crime rate is below average to average. That would also be fair for people interested in the city/area to know as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-18-2023 at 10:28 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
No, what is meant by a beef is when people that know each other are in an ongoing dispute that can get violent and no I don't live 100's of miles away. In fact, it is only an hour away and it is only that long due to Routes 281 and 13. So, we get news from the Ithaca area, because it is one of the closest media markets to the city. It is not that far away(literally 2 counties/roughly 50 miles away away from where I live).

Again, even with said 5 or 6 incidents, in which one was outside of the city/a domestic, the overall crime rate is below average to average. That would also be fair for people interested in the city/area to know as well.
Again why would anyone listen to someone who lives 100 miles away? I’ve witnessed shootings stabbing a robberies. Shooting on Ithaca commons! Please take it from someone who actually lives in the 10x10 and not some outsider trying to gaslight every comment on the website

Old 08-25-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Again why would anyone listen to someone who lives 100 miles away? I’ve witnessed shootings stabbing a robberies. Shooting on Ithaca commons! Please take it from someone who actually lives in the 10x10 and not some outsider trying to gaslight every comment on the website
Again, I don't live 100 miles away. The fact that you think Syracuse is 100 miles away from Ithaca, makes me question if you actually live there.

Also, crime perception and actual stats/information can be different. My point is simply about information in regards to the crime rate and keep in mind that the city/area has been growing. So, even if the numbers are up, the rate may still be roughly the same/average.

Lastly, I don't know of anyone that thinks or thought that Ithaca would be crime free. Especially, when people over the years on here have presented that information. None of that has anything to do with "gaslighting", but more about proper perspective.

A thread on the topic, that eludes to what I am referring to: https://www.reddit.com/r/ithaca/comm...ght_in_ithaca/

Old 08-26-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Again, I don't live 100 miles away. The fact that you think Syracuse is 100 miles away from Ithaca, makes me question if you actually live there.

Also, crime perception and actual stats/information can be different. My point is simply about information in regards to the crime rate and keep in mind that the city/area has been growing. So, even if the numbers are up, the rate may still be roughly the same/average.

Lastly, I don't know of anyone that thinks or thought that Ithaca would be crime free. Especially, when people over the years on here have presented that information. None of that has anything to do with "gaslighting", but more about proper perspective.

A thread on the topic, that eludes to what I am referring to: https://www.reddit.com/r/ithaca/comm...ght_in_ithaca/
You’ll notice that Reddit thread is full of people just like you who live outside of Ithaca and not in the city. You and those posters are not valid sources when it comes to commentary on the city or level of crime. Just yesterday someone was walking around the Aldi parking lot with a machete. You don’t see these things posted and you certainly don’t experience it yourself living 100 miles away

Old 08-26-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
You’ll notice that Reddit thread is full of people just like you who live outside of Ithaca and not in the city. You and those posters are not valid sources when it comes to commentary on the city or level of crime. Just yesterday someone was walking around the Aldi parking lot with a machete. You don’t see these things posted and you certainly don’t experience it yourself living 100 miles away
Where does it show that in that thread?

Again, no one is saying or expect Ithaca to be crime free, but its crime rate is average at worst. There is plenty of information illustrating this. To keep falsely saying someone lives 100 miles away doesn’t change that fact, when the area they live in serves as a media market for Ithaca(only like 50 miles away). Meaning, that people in that area get news about Ithaca on a common basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York