Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Regents be concentrating on elimination of American Indian references?
Yes, it's very offensive 4 22.22%
Neutral 4 22.22%
No, it's part of our history 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 10:03 AM

35,315 posts, read 17,208,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Quote:
Conclusion? Most Indian people could care if a school's mascot was Indians, Warriors, Braves, or the name of the local tribe. However, there are a few names that, to me ARE really dicey. Such as Scalpers (a college in SD once was named this) or (yes) Redskins. Then who IS responsible for all this crap? It's the overly offended white liberal suburbanites who want everyone to know how caring and (here we go again) WOKE they are.
This was not my experience when I lived in South Dakota. "Sioux" isn't a great term considering it's a derogatory term assigned to the Lakota by the Ojibwe.

Obviously not all Lakota people are going to have the same view but ultimately nothing of value was lost, what we call a football team isn't important.
I'm not too affected by the names myself. Not my hill to die on. I am probably only more Native American than Elizabeth Warren. I am aware of the term Sioux as being something to do with snakes in the Ojibwe language from 100 plus years ago when discussing the Sioux Indians. However, as I mentioned, NO ONE I talked with found it offensive to them.

As I mentioned, having schools called Indians, Warriors, Braves etc. is a nothing to most Native Americans. I'm part Irish and could care that Notre Dame says that my ancestors are always fighting.
You really have to be looking to find something to be unhappy about to find "braves" or "chiefs" offensive. In other news, in the Massapaqua Patch today, Massapequa Board Of Ed Won't 'Sit Ably (sic) By,' Seeking 'Legal Counsel' (link in title of article, excerpt below):
Quote:
One of the schools this directly impacts is Massapequa with its nickname the "Chiefs." The school's Board of Education and Superintendent William Brennan are taking a hardline against the state. "We have heard from many members of our community upset by this decision, and we stand beside you," they wrote in a letter posted on the website. "We are Massapequa and we will not sit idly by while an unelected group of officials tries to remove our history. We are in the process of reviewing the decision and investigating all options with legal counsel."
People are getting sick and tired of this nonsense. See below. This song is not recent but reflects many people's views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXjYIs2Mr5U

Old 04-19-2023, 10:11 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,968,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You really have to be looking to find something to be unhappy about to find "braves" or "chiefs" offensive. In other news, in the Massapaqua Patch today, Massapequa Board Of Ed Won't 'Sit Ably (sic) By,' Seeking 'Legal Counsel' (link in title of article, excerpt below):

People are getting sick and tired of this nonsense. See below. This song is not recent but reflects many people's views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXjYIs2Mr5U
LOVE the song and yes, most people ARE getting sick and tired of this nonsense.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:34 AM

5,264 posts, read 3,629,833 times
Why would you call it a "non-issue"?

It's typically caricaturing a minority group in some for a majority's entertainment, in this specific example it's Native Americans who are pretty much the poorest population with the shortest lifespans, etc... But great fun for the general population to continue with all the references to braves, chiefs, Indians... It's just time to give it a rest and move past this like adults.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Why would you call it a "non-issue"?

It's typically caricaturing a minority group in some for a majority's entertainment, in this specific example it's Native Americans who are pretty much the poorest population with the shortest lifespans, etc... But great fun for the general population to continue with all the references to braves, chiefs, Indians... It's just time to give it a rest and move past this like adults.
Most companies as a "Chief Executive Officer" and "Chief Financial Officer." And do we have to rename about 1/3 of the municipalities and street names?

I'm Jewish. Am I going to start picketing The Merchant of Venice?

Old 04-19-2023, 03:26 PM

6,530 posts, read 3,211,426 times
Quote:
LOVE the song and yes, most people ARE getting sick and tired of this nonsense.
I agree.

I've never heard the song before, so I listened to all of it, and find it funnier than (bleep)...........

Old 04-20-2023, 08:48 AM

8,136 posts, read 7,512,971 times
Here's a good one: Even the Nebraska Cornhusker mascot -- which has nothing to do with Indians -- can be the subject of a harassment campaign. It seems "Herbie Husker" since the 1970's was depicted smiling and making the "OK" sign with one hand, which in 2023 is seen as racist. The new Herbie will be holding up one finger in the "#1" sign -- at least until someone figures a way to be offended by that.

https://flatwaterfreepress.org/how-w...herbie-husker/

Also, my wife is a social worker who hires student interns to do "field work", i.e. non-classroom work. She was recently cautioned that some social work professors are teaching their students to avoid the word "field" because it's linked to slaves picking cotton in "the field". I am not joking, and you better not joke about this either.

I guess the point is, if you stare at something long enough you'll figure out a way to be offended, whether or not you're an Indian.

Edited to add:
My wife was legit puzzled as to why she can't say "field work" but sports can be played on a "field". I told her it's a power trip. You have to submit all your words to "The Authorities" to see if you're saying or implying something racist. It has nothing to do with anyone really being offended.

Last edited by jtab4994; 04-20-2023 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Edited to add...

Old 04-20-2023, 12:36 PM

5,264 posts, read 3,629,833 times
Quote:
Most companies as a "Chief Executive Officer" and "Chief Financial Officer." And do we have to rename about 1/3 of the municipalities and street names?

I'm Jewish. Am I going to start picketing The Merchant of Venice?
No because they aren't referencing a minority population like the Washington Redskins or the Utah Utes, et al...
And that is the chief reason.

When I moved to the midwest in the 1970s it wasn't uncommon in a university community for the nicest people, and I'm not being sarcastic or snarky here at all, just the nicest rural or suburban folks you would ever want to meet to commonly say things like " I was going to sell it to him but he kept trying to jew me down" or other references like that with no self-consciousness at all.

This kid from NYC, grown up around Jewish people, would always get thrown by that very casual aside. If I was a good friend of the person I would suggest that they reconsider using that term, yada yada.... It was similar to a short time later when someone pointed out to me that saying "He gypped me..." was a slur too, I had no notion of that either.

If people ask to be referred to by certain terms & ask that people not of their group not call them or use certain names I feel it is just common decency to oblige them by respecting that. I also understand that decency isn't common amongst all people but often trumped by a desire to display dominance in subtle ways. If there is a Native American organization that has a team called the Braves, or whatever, that's different, like Notre Dame's Fighting Irish, it's self-assigned.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
No because they aren't referencing a minority population like the Washington Redskins or the Utah Utes, et al...
And that is the chief reason.

When I moved to the midwest in the 1970s it wasn't uncommon in a university community for the nicest people, and I'm not being sarcastic or snarky here at all, just the nicest rural or suburban folks you would ever want to meet to commonly say things like " I was going to sell it to him but he kept trying to jew me down" or other references like that with no self-consciousness at all.

This kid from NYC, grown up around Jewish people, would always get thrown by that very casual aside. If I was a good friend of the person I would suggest that they reconsider using that term, yada yada.... It was similar to a short time later when someone pointed out to me that saying "He gypped me..." was a slur too, I had no notion of that either.

If people ask to be referred to by certain terms & ask that people not of their group not call them or use certain names I feel it is just common decency to oblige them by respecting that. I also understand that decency isn't common amongst all people but often trumped by a desire to display dominance in subtle ways. If there is a Native American organization that has a team called the Braves, or whatever, that's different, like Notre Dame's Fighting Irish, it's self-assigned.
Who does "gyp" insult? And while I don't personally use the "jew me down" expression I don't mind it that much either.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:37 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Who does "gyp" insult? And while I don't personally use the "jew me down" expression I don't mind it that much either.

You've never heard of the Romani people? The modern Indo-Ayran nomadic people to whom gypsy is a slur?

Of course you don't mind the other, you aren't Jewish and must not be able to feel shame.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:50 PM

8,136 posts, read 7,512,971 times
Quote:
"Gyp" insults the Roma peoples, formerly called Gypsies, which is now offensive in itself.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html

The San Diego Union-Tribune article from 2012 mentions Gyp, "Jew down", and "Welsh on a bet" but there are plenty of others.

Dutch treat/Dutch courage/Dutch uncle (lots of these for some reason)
Get your Irish up
Indian giver
Chinese fire drill
Mexican standoff
French leave

These are informal expressions used by older people that are gradually becoming more and more dated, and will someday seem just as archaic as "Tippecanoe and Tyler, too".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York