Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Regents be concentrating on elimination of American Indian references?
Yes, it's very offensive 4 22.22%
Neutral 4 22.22%
No, it's part of our history 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 04:59 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of issues in educational administration:
  1. Educating children where there's little support at home;
  2. Assisting special needs students;
  3. Keeping gifted students interested;
  4. Ensuring school safety both from internal fights and shootings; and
  5. Almost anything you can think of.
So, what is the New York State Board of Regents focusing on? See NY Regents vote to ban Indian mascots at schools. Here's what it will mean (link), excerpt below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journal News
But those mascots will soon be replaced following Tuesday's vote by the state Board of Regents, which ordered school districts to vote to retire their mascots by June 30 and to have the transition to new teams names and the elimination of Indian mascot imagery complete within two years.
Now, I wonder, were any actual Native Americans offended? Are the Regents bored? Why the focus on this non-issue?

Old 04-18-2023, 05:34 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
So, what is the New York State Board of Regents focusing on? See NY Regents vote to ban Indian mascots at schools. Here's what it will mean (link), excerpt below:

Now, I wonder, were any actual Native Americans offended? Are the Regents bored? Why the focus on this non-issue?
It's not a non-issue. Many tribes find the issue of Indian mascots offensive. And many Indian individuals within those tribes do not.

Personally, I find SOME Indian mascots very offensive.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
It's not a non-issue. Many tribes find the issue of Indian mascots offensive. And many Indian individuals within those tribes do not.

Personally, I find SOME Indian mascots very offensive.
I grew up on a cul-de-sac whose roads are named Colonial, Continental, Black Hawk and Mayflower. The inclusion of an American Indian name is a leavening. My sleepaway camps had bunk and team names were Indian tribes. Some or all of the Finger and Great Lakes names are of Indian derivation.

Do I think we should educate about current and past mistreatment of Indians? Of course. But why erase history?

Old 04-18-2023, 07:18 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Quote:

What a disingenuous way to present the issue. If you don't want names changed, just say it. Changing names does not prevent action on the other issues you listed. It's a false choice.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
What a disingenuous way to present the issue. If you don't want names changed, just say it. Changing names does not prevent action on the other issues you listed. It's a false choice.
I addressed that in my next post, post number three. There are good reasons not to cancel history. there are also good reasons for the New York Board of Regents to concentrate on its educational mission. The education situation in New York is not good.

Why the need to throw in an attack?

Old 04-18-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I addressed that in my next post, post number three. There are good reasons not to cancel history. there are also good reasons for the New York Board of Regents to concentrate on its educational mission. The education situation in New York is not good.

Why the need to throw in an attack?
The point remains that you are creating a false dichotomy. Changing the names of a few schools in no way interferes with the core mission of education in New York. It's a bad argument.

I also have no idea what you mean by "canceling history" can you explain what you mean by this?

Old 04-18-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
The point remains that you are creating a false dichotomy. Changing the names of a few schools in no way interferes with the core mission of education in New York. It's a bad argument.

I also have no idea what you mean by "canceling history" can you explain what you mean by this?
Maybe you can explain how calling a football team “the Mohicans“ is an insult. If some team will hypothetically, cold, the “wild Indians“ you may have a point. The Indians are part of American history. Why do you want to erase that?

Old 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe you can explain how calling a football team “the Mohicans“ is an insult. If some team will hypothetically, cold, the “wild Indians“ you may have a point. The Indians are part of American history. Why do you want to erase that?
I don't recall making that specific claim, I do not need to defend words that were put in my mouth.

Regardless, I don't think a lot of history is being learned from football mascots, but maybe you can point out something I have not considered.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:57 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:

I understand your concern. However, I do see this as an issue.

There is a way to deal with it though. I'll give an example. My alma mater university is the University of Utah. The team calls itself the "Running Utes". The Ute tribe is quite happy to have the University football team use their name. The University went to the Ute Tribal Council and worked out a financial arrangement and one where some recognition was given the tribe in return for the use of the name. It satisfies all parties involved. Cultural sensitivity is important. I think it is all the more important in situations where a group--native Americans--have been mistreated for many years. Doing the right thing in these situations is respectful, cultural sensitive, and good for everyone involved.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:58 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:

I understand your concern. However, I do see this as an issue.

There is a way to deal with it though. I'll give an example. My alma mater university is the University of Utah. The team calls itself the "Running Utes". The Ute tribe is quite happy to have the University basketball team use their name. The University went to the Ute Tribal Council and worked out a financial arrangement and one where some recognition was given the tribe in return for the use of the name. It satisfies all parties involved. Cultural sensitivity is important. I think it is all the more important in situations where a group--native Americans--have been mistreated for many years. Doing the right thing in these situations is respectful, cultural sensitive, and good for everyone involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York