Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2023, 07:52 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Woodbury to shop in a few weeks and I know that KJ is not far from there.

I've heard a lot about that community, but only from news reports and documentaries. I never met anyone who ever been there in person.

For anyone who has, is it a good place to visit? It sounds interesting to me, and I am interesting in checking it out.

What is the restaurant scene like there? Any interesting museums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 07:25 AM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
It's pretty much suburban sprawl of a boxier/roomier housing type. You can explore by Street View in Google Maps to help determine your specific interest level:

https://tinyurl.com/4ck5j6h6

Old 06-19-2023, 01:26 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I'm going to Woodbury to shop in a few weeks and I know that KJ is not far from there.

I've heard a lot about that community, but only from news reports and documentaries. I never met anyone who ever been there in person.

For anyone who has, is it a good place to visit? It sounds interesting to me, and I am interesting in checking it out.

What is the restaurant scene like there? Any interesting museums?

It's not on the tourist circuit.

Is your plan to stare at the people as if they were on display?

If you do, make sure you follow the rules.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:27 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
I doubt they talk to non-religious Jews. Don’t expect to be spoken to or acknowledged unless you speak Yiddish.

Lillie is correct. Don’t stare and don’t take pictures!

There is a similar community in northern Westchester. I saw these women in Mount Kisco’s Target. The women wear head coverings or wigs. Their arms and legs are covered. They don’t drive and waited for taxis in the hot sun, fully dressed, usually in black/dark colors. They looked hot and uncomfortable. Schools and school busses are separated by sex. If you are a man I would not risk approaching them.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 06-21-2023 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-21-2023, 09:47 AM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
You would be better off going to Nyack, about a 20 minute ride south of Woodbury on the NYS Thruway, I haven't been there in a while, but it had old fashioned diners, cute restaurants, some antique shops, and gorgeous Hudson views, (a NYS Park right on the Hudson). Some celebrities like Rosie O'Donnell, Alec Baldwin family, etc. lived there.

KJ is one of the last places on earth I would want to visit!

Last edited by wp169; 06-21-2023 at 10:04 AM..

Old 06-23-2023, 09:10 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
You would be better off going to Nyack, about a 20 minute ride south of Woodbury on the NYS Thruway, I haven't been there in a while, but it had old fashioned diners, cute restaurants, some antique shops, and gorgeous Hudson views, (a NYS Park right on the Hudson). Some celebrities like Rosie O'Donnell, Alec Baldwin family, etc. lived there.

KJ is one of the last places on earth I would want to visit!
Nyack is really cool! I've been a few times. I went to the Edward Hopper House a few years ago. Great restaurants there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York