Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:30 PM

106 posts, read 512,802 times

Advertisements

Ole NY state is at it again---increasing the tax of a pack of cigarettes --NY will be the highest state in the country for cigarettes--I know smoking is bad but some things you just do anyway.... You just can't jump in the car and go to the REZ because gas prices are outrageous and now the increase in smokes--geez between the gas and smokes I just may get healthy inspite of myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 05:13 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Default Wrong, not the highest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnny View Post
Ole NY state is at it again---increasing the tax of a pack of cigarettes --NY will be the highest state in the country for cigarettes--I know smoking is bad but some things you just do anyway.... You just can't jump in the car and go to the REZ because gas prices are outrageous and now the increase in smokes--geez between the gas and smokes I just may get healthy inspite of myself
Actually cigarettes here in Alaska have already reached $6.00. This happened about a year or so ago when taxes increased here. Most packs are now about $6.35. Yeah, quess we are all gonna get healthy since they are truly looking out for our health...yeah..right.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times
I'm gonna quit smoking as soon as I run out of cigarettes. I would not be able to live with myself paying $6.00 a pack. I was raised to be cheap.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
With the loss to the states in tax revenue they will have to find another source of income. As a smoker I realize the potental health issues to myself but when was the last time a smoker killed a pedestrian or maimed a passanger.

Here in Virginia the "state" runs the liquer stores (ABC), if they were so worried about our health why does the "state" sell the booze?

We currently pay @ 2.50 for a pack of Dorals...

Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
How high are they going?
Just paid $6.60 in NJ

good point..if the price forces many to give them up..where are they going to make up the lost tax revenue??
it's all BS...stop growing it if it's so dam bad for us...hmm imagine that they outlaw the tobacco crop

Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
Riddiculous. All they do is waste money with all the anti-smoking ads they have.

just stop already. I dont even smoke and it pisses me off

Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 PM

172 posts, read 846,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
How high are they going?
Just paid $6.60 in NJ

good point..if the price forces many to give them up..where are they going to make up the lost tax revenue??
it's all BS...stop growing it if it's so dam bad for us...hmm imagine that they outlaw the tobacco crop

We should just export and allow other countries to become (more) addicted. At least that way, we can reduce the trade defecit and find an outlet for it that doesn't adversely affect people here.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
I know in North Carolina part of the money they received from the Class Action Law Suite against the tobacco industry was spend on a museum to the Tobacco Industry. What a bunch of hipocrites.

Just think the way things are going you can give a carton of cigarettes and a few gallons of gas to cover a down payment on a house....lol

Old 06-03-2008, 06:16 PM

58 posts, read 200,160 times
Default Cigarette Tax AGAIN

All the states continually increase the tax on cigarettes but I don't think they are concerned about people's health; they don't want to reduce state spending or administration so they keep taxing the smokers. I think it is ludicrious.

I quit smoking a year ago using Chantix, but the insurance company refused to pay for it!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:39 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,328 times
It not only gives smokers an incentive to quit but long term also reduces the amount people have to pay for health insurance. The less smokers the less hospitalization due to smoking. The insurance costs are already high so I can't complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: