Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:30 PM

147 posts, read 535,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

i think once you get UI they can't take it away from you
They can TOTALLY take it away from you. In NY State at least, you must apply for a job every week. You have to keep careful records of this. They may or may not ask for this proof but you better have it if they call you into the office to present it. You will also get kicked off for refusing a job offer.

I think what you are confused about is the amount of money/weeks they give you. No, they dont take that away from you (unless for the reasons like the ones given above.) For example, if you have work one week (say with a temp job), you dont claim anything. The next week, you dont have work, you can claim again. You can claim up to 39 weeks until your "end date" in any order. It doesnt have to be consecutive. You claim it when you need it.

As for having a PT job while on unemployment... I think that might suck. When you tell them you're worked the equivalent of 1 or 2 or 3 days, you only get a percentage of your weekly amount but you've still also used up a week of your claiming-total. If you need those weeks in the future, they wont be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,261 times
Default When to file?

Last Thursday I found out that I will be losing my job at the end of the month. Everyone keeps noting that it takes about 3 weeks to see any unemployment money so I'm wondering if I should just file the unemployment claim now? Will that interfere with anything since I'm still getting paid my full salary for another two weeks (this is not my severence)? If I can put in the claim now so that I'm in the system by the time my job ends I'd rather do that since most people mentioned it takes awhile to process BUT at the same time I don't want to submit the claim and have it denied and end up being more delayed, etc.

Does anyone know?

Last edited by behappygolucky; 11-16-2008 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: for clarity

Old 11-16-2008, 09:05 AM

147 posts, read 535,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behappygolucky View Post
Last Thursday I found out that I will be losing my job at the end of the month. Everyone keeps noting that it takes about 3 weeks to see any unemployment money so I'm wondering if I should just file the unemployment claim now? Will that interfere with anything since I'm still getting paid my full salary for another two weeks (this is not my severence)? If I can put in the claim now so that I'm in the system by the time my job ends I'd rather do that since most people mentioned it takes awhile to process BUT at the same time I don't want to submit the claim and have it denied and end up being more delayed, etc.

Does anyone know?
I filed the first week I was laid off. I filed on a monday and left work on that wednesday. I had two "waiting periods," two weeks of getting no money. I just waited it out, using my severance (which I did not tell them about) till it kicked in.

The two week waiting time also gave me time to adjust my rate - since my salary had changed in the last 6 months of employment, I had to send in pay stubs to make the argument that they should give me more $ - I'm pretty organized so finding the stubs I needed was easy and thankfully they approved my request quickly and w/o problem.

So, I'm not sure if they was any advice in there but if you are worried about getting denied and you can wait out the two weeks of no money maybe you want to just do that to be on the safe side.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:49 PM

30 posts, read 295,781 times
New York State Department of Labor - Before You Apply For Unemployment

You CANNOT file for unemployment while working...

Q: When should I file a claim?

A: You should file your claim during your first week of total or partial unemployment - to delay may cost you benefits. If you have worked or will work four or more days or earn more than $405 gross pay between Monday and Sunday of the current week, you must wait until next Monday to file, if you are still unemployed. If you apply for unemployment insurance benefits today, your claim will be effective the Monday of the current week. If you would like to request credit for a period during which no valid claim was filed, write to New York State Department of Labor, Central Support Unit, P.O. Box 15130, Albany, New York 12212. E-mails requests will not be accepted. The letter should include your name, address, telephone number, your Social Security number, the period for which credit is being requested, and the reason why a claim was not filed at that time. The circumstances will be investigated and a determination will be made regarding eligibility for benefits.

Part time work:

Q: What if I work part-time?

A: If you work less than four days in a week and earn $405 or less, you may receive partial benefits. Each day or part of a day of work will result in your weekly benefit rate being reduced by one-quarter. For example, if your weekly benefit rate is $100 and you work three days and earn less than $405, you could potentially receive $25 in benefits. If you work two days, you could potentially receive $50 in benefits. If you work one day, you could potentially receive $75 in benefits. Receiving partial benefits extends the length of time you may collect benefits until you receive your maximum benefit amount or until your benefit year ends, whichever comes first. If you earn over $405 in any week, regardless of the number of days worked, no benefits can be paid for that week.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,967 times
Default severance and unemployment

if you get severance in one lump sump for several months can you still claim unemployment? will they know?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson127 View Post
if you get severance in one lump sump for several months can you still claim unemployment? will they know?

Check out city data's unemployment/employmen forum for plenty of threads on this subject!

But yes, you can still claim unemployment. As soon as you stop working, you can begin to file. As long as your employer has changed you from active status to inactive, you should be okay!

good luck!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:19 PM

30 posts, read 295,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson127 View Post
When I was on unemployment (5 years ago?) you either have to call in or file online every week and they ask you a bunch of questions. If I remember correctly one or to of the questions asked if you were receiving vacation pay or severance pay for the week you are claiming. So technically you would have to answer yes to the question every week you file for the "several months" they gave you severance for. If you answer no to the question, will they know about your severance? I have no idea, but do you want to take the risk of getting caught? Keep in mind that you are not the only one they ask about your unemployment status, they also contact your former employer when you file the claim? Will your company tell them about your severance if asked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York