Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:59 PM

36 posts, read 194,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
HAHAHA.....that was just a typo....but pretty frunny nonetheless. Maybe it was my subconscience lashing out against Long Islanders?
LOL...oh yeah...lots of whineries and snobbery farms down there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:44 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
A couple years ago I was looking at land near B'hampton NY. And I found 125 acres of farmland with a barn, 2 silos and a very old 1800s farmhouse (no heat, needed work) for 125K. It was in Marathon NY.
If you want farmland in NYS I suggest a broad area of: the I-81 corridor from B'hampton up to Syracuse, east to the mountains before 87, no further south than New Paltz. Towns like Cortland, Utica, Unidilla, Delhi, Walton, Canastota, Cazanovia and Oneonta come to mind. In some areas you can find land for rediculously cheap.
You do have to watch the taxes here. A lot of farmers in So. NY literally got taxed out of their land. I would suggest So. NYS like Ulster county but it is much too expensive IMO to maintain a farm unless you are really geared up for a fight to keep ahead. Though there are still some who do it around here, a lot of the big farms have subdivided and sold.
Having Ithaca/Syracuse for a market or the capability of shipping your products to the lower Hudson Valley would be a huge plus.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:52 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
New York is not a farm-friendly state; particularly for small family farms. I know because my family has one.

Even though 2006 was a bad year for dairy farmers, we're still getting whacked with a 34% assessment increase! Income requirements for qualifying as a farm for tax abatement are quite high. The farmer must make at least $10,000 in gross sales from crops or animals produced on the land or $50,000 in gross sales on acreage under 10 acres. There is no credit for the first two years if the land has not been farmed before. You must be farming a minimum of 10 acres, and the land must be in a state-certified agricultural district.

If you raise livestock, be careful. Slaughterhouses get pressured by agribusiness not to take business from small farmers. You may have your stock ready to go but be unable to find anywhere to get them slaughtered.

This is a good site for the whole situation. Be aware that loss of your farm tax status can be devastating as New York property taxes are unreal. Pray you never have a bad year if you farm in New York. Also be aware that developers loathe ag districts as they help keep farm property taxes low thus allowing farms to stay in business. They spend money in Albany to get ag districts de-zoned when they want the land underneath it. As you may know, New York's government is run by what they call, "three men in a smoky room," and routinely qualifies as the most dysfunctional state government in the country. In that distinction we compete with our friends in Louisiana. Do not expect grass roots anything to make much of a difference in Albany.

Please go over everything over at the New York Farm Bureau. They're very helpful and can let you in on the latest happenings.

Last edited by Jason_Els; 05-16-2007 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-16-2007, 12:07 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,270 times
Are there any states in the US that could be called 'small family farm-friendly?' NY should be at the leading edge of small, sustainable & organic family-run agriculture, but of course leave it to big agribiz, developers and politicians to fight it any way they can!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:41 AM

54 posts, read 274,211 times
move to geneseo NY small town 25min south of rochester 10,000 pepole visit there website http://www.geneseony.com/
ps: there is a lot of family farms in groveland ny right next to geneseo hope this helps.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:04 PM

13 posts, read 55,550 times
st lawrence county ny is the dairy princess domain

Old 05-29-2007, 07:25 AM

142 posts, read 811,187 times
There is a small farm/restaurant in my town that is organic (I think) and highly regarded. The farm is 100 acres and is certified organic. Here is the website:
Elderberry Pond Country Foods

Old 05-30-2007, 12:51 PM

47 posts, read 140,086 times
Smile Try Columbia or Northern Dutchess Counties

I currenty live in northern dutchess county in the town of Red Hook.we still have a some farms here but not half as many as we used to.There is a big demand for organic products in this area.Also Ulster county as well near woodstock .I would love to see more farms in this area too much development over the last 10 yrs.This area is very pro farmer and you would be welcomed.But land is very expensive in this area and taxes are high.Good luck with your search.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:03 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,258 times
Plenty of cheap land in Jefferson and St. Lawrence County for sale. Lots of dairy farming up there too.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 12,152 times
Smile Beautiful Farm Land

I grew up 5 miles outside Canastota, in a town called Clockville. Where I grew up, there were fields on all sides of our house. They grew sweet corn during the summer. After the season was over, cows grazed there. You would have to see it to appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York