Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM

20 posts, read 87,912 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relatively new to this forum, and this is my first posting. I don't see an Ulster or Orange County forum, so perhaps the people from Westchester will tolerate an interloper

My husband and I have been pondering a move out of Manhattan, but at this point the timing is off. We still want a backyard for our kids, though, and the possibility of easy access to weekend soccer/little league/swimming/skiing. So, we are considering buying a weekend house. Challenge is, to find a place we can afford without selling our apartment in Manhattan. We are looking at the Ulster County area, particularly around New Paltz, because it seems like half-way from Manhattan to the downhill skiing. But I have heard the taxes are relatively high.

I have two main requests:
1) advice on where to look that is within a 90-minute drive from northern manhattan, still on the path to downhill skiing, with some decent recreation facilities/swimming/little league, but where we can find a nice 2BR with 1/2 acre for less than 200K.

2) advice on how to figure out the taxes. I go to the county sites and they list all these different figures. I just want to get an idea of the relative tax from town to town. I was also told I need to figure out both property and school tax. Since the kids won't be in school in the town, I guess we can forgo a decent school district if necessary.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York