Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,769 times

Advertisements

I lived in Afton many years ago ( I was very young); I remember the beauty of the landscape, the hills, the change of seasons, but not the cold. I was wondering if anyone has moved from a tropical climate to Broome County and survived. I don't even own a jacket; Do you think I would get used to the frigid cold and the country like atmosphere? I am an RN, how about jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 PM

140 posts, read 731,845 times
Default Floridian to Broome County

The easy part...jobs are plentiful for RN's. Local hospitals are begging for them, and the yearly pay is abundant. Check Lourdes Hospital and United Health Services( Binghamton General Hospital and Wilson Memorial Hospital) websites. Both are having trouble attracting, and retaining RN's, but Lourdes Hospital, in Binghamton has a Magnet Hospital designation indicating that they are very committed to hiring and retaining RN's as well as keeping them up to date with latest medical technology. Both Lourdes and UHS have large, well-established Family Care, and Walk-In clinics in multiple areas around Broome County. You won't have any problems finding a job.

Now the hard part...you want to re-locate BACK to the frigid cold, gray skies, miserable weather, abundant snow, icy roads, bitter wind chill, seemingly endless winter of upstate New York??? From Florida no less? Are you REALLY sure you want to do THAT? You do realize that that means buying WINTER CLOTHES(literally a whole other set of clothes dedicated just to stay warm), snow tires, winter washer anti-freeze for your car's windshield, shoveling snow, scraping ice from your car's windows so you can see out of them, on and on. And the heating bills? Experiencing winter as a little kid is a whole lot more benign than experiencing it as an adult. The secenery may be nice here, but the scenery is nice in the Carolinas, Virginia, Texas, Georgia, and you won't have any trouble finding a job there either.

We can't wait to get out of this miserable New York State, with it notoriously super high taxes(another hint to stay away from here) on everything plus the Governor is about to increase taxes again, and start taxing even more things...he'd tax breathing if he could. We're heading for Ocala to permanently relocate later this year. Enough Winter and Taxes.

Research your plan before you make a huge mistake. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM

96 posts, read 284,359 times
I relocated to Binghamton (Broome County) last august from Ft. Myers and never looked back.
I found that vacationining in Florida is not like living there 24/7
I am originally from New York and I couldn't deal with the humidity, although the heat was a part of it too. I only lasted there three years.
I lost money on two houses but feel fortunate to have found a home here.
I just went through a cold winter with plenty of snow and didn't complain once...:-)
The cost of living is the same here as in Florida, but a lot of people who want to move there don't know that.
The are professional opportunities here in health care, but as always, do your homework first.
Good luck in your search.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 59,000 times
I was born and raised in FL until I was 24 years old. I moved to Erie, Pa a few years ago. You'll survive but it takes time.

I'll be moving to Binghamton soon as well but I miss Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York