Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 05:00 PM

14 posts, read 70,255 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for your replies and I really appreciate the insight about the winter commute. I think that I'll look for something in a suburb of Syracuse or Rochester and hope to move to a smaller town in a few years after I've learned how to drive in winter.

Looking4home...I've traveled to the area many times for business and vacations and always find that I'm so much happier and relaxed there -- it feels like home. I'm from So. Cal. and haven't been happy here for a long time. Hope you enjoy your visit this summer!

Again, thanks to all for your help and advice. It's really difficult to plan a move like this from so far away and with such limited time and resources to visit and put this together. Thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 11,526 times
If you are interested in Skaneateles, consider Skaneateles Suites
They have a collection of Places to Stay

Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 PM

23 posts, read 64,432 times
Default More current Auburn info?

Hi - I've noticed that most of the posts on here are dated 2006/7. Can anyone tell me if things in Auburn have changed? better? worse?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:39 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katr View Post
Hi - I've noticed that most of the posts on here are dated 2006/7. Can anyone tell me if things in Auburn have changed? better? worse?
It's about the same.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:48 PM

15 posts, read 57,079 times
I am 34, born and raised in Auburn. My family's all there, still have friends there, and I only moved out to the Syracuse suburbs as an adult for a job and more things to do, so I was still close and was in town every week.

Auburn's beautiful. I think it's a great place to raise a family. There's a lot of history throughout the CNY area, always something to do close by. Lots of boaters, fishing, skiing, camping, hiking, tons of waterfalls and gorges. The wine country in the Finger Lakes can't be beat, I order my wine shipped to me from a vineyard on Cayuga Lake all the way out where I've been for almost a year in IL.

Everyone in NY everywhere complains about taxes, and rightfully so. That's one of the major detractors of NYS. So ya take it or leave it....or here's an idea...CHANGE it! Stop voting the same garbage into office!

We homeschool, and NY is tough regulation-wise for that.

Auburn has been expanding the last few years, and there's a lot more shopping now, which is nice.

My mom worked in Syr for 26 years, and took a bus a lot. Let me tell you, there's really only a few times a year you're going to run into bad roads on the way to or from work. Our roads in NY are well cared for, the plows are out on the roads before the first flake falls. NY is good like that. I spent my first winter out of state last year here in IL and the roads are horrendous. Living in Auburn is fine for work in Syracuse. It's about a 40 minute drive.

And having spent half my life in Auburn, the prison was a non-issue. My best friend's husband is a prison guard, and he could say more on this issue than I, but it really doesn't have a daily effect on average citizens, and there's not a lot of crime in Auburn. At all.

I miss home very much, so my answer here is probably a bit biased. I don't think you can do wrong living in Auburn. And if any of yas do land there, give me a shout. I can tell you the good streets to live on, and the best bar in town (happens to be my Gramma's ).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York