Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:33 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say bobcats are "common" in Upstate NY, it's still newsworthy when a dead one is found, at least closer to urban areas. They are very secretive animals. and they are not present in all parts of Upstate, I think WNY does not have any reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 PM

585 posts, read 2,223,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Yes, they are everywhere. But we are seeing more and more in Central Pennsylvania and less & less deer. These cats will wipe out a litter of deer like nothing. They need to be controlled soon.
Send us some bobcats and we'll send you some deer. The deer are like rats around here.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:41 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,921 times
Bobcats are not uncommon in the southern tier of western NY (and norther tier of PA), but it's rare to see one like a previous poster indicated. I've never seen one, but have seen plenty of pics from hunters. I was surprised to see (in pics) how big and powerful bobcats can be. A lot of people claim to see mountain lions and I'm sure many confuse bobcats and mountain lions. I don't think it's out of line for there to be mountain lions here now, there certainly is plenty of good food and habitat. I've never understood claims from the 1800s that every single last mountain lion was killed.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:32 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Bobcats are not uncommon in the southern tier of western NY (and norther tier of PA), but it's rare to see one like a previous poster indicated. I've never seen one, but have seen plenty of pics from hunters. I was surprised to see (in pics) how big and powerful bobcats can be. A lot of people claim to see mountain lions and I'm sure many confuse bobcats and mountain lions. I don't think it's out of line for there to be mountain lions here now, there certainly is plenty of good food and habitat. I've never understood claims from the 1800s that every single last mountain lion was killed.

I'd agree with that. It is rare to see a mountain lion (even in area's where they are considered to have a decent population). More often than not they are known to avoid human contact (most attacks have been in areas where we have expanded our suburbs into what was their habitat). WNY's southern tier & northern PA still have a lot of dense forest & remote areas, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we still had a few running around.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 AM

633 posts, read 1,950,505 times
I am in no way an expert on big or small wild cats but when I look at those pics I would lean to a cross bread or in bread Bob Cat.

1. The face looks larger
2. The tail looks longer
3. The fur around the shoulders the coloring looks off
4. It's over all size seems big
5. It's daytime and they are nocturnal

I looked at a bunch of pics on the web for comparison, that my vote.

Coincidentally on the show Monster Quest had a series on Panthers in lower NY around the Palisades. I remember as a kid my grand parents telling stories about Panthers 40 years ago.

One thing for sure, we are not on top of the food chain anymore

njmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
No, thats a 100% Bob Cat.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:03 PM

585 posts, read 2,223,724 times
Sorry Mike but it's a bobcat. Big bobcat, small fawn. Adults males can be over 3' long and can weigh over 30lbs.

I never heard of bobcats breeding with mountain lions in the wild.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
I think we have to be careful about the claims about Mountain Lions (Cougars/Panthers) in New York State. Not only does the state claim not to have any, either does any of the state or provinces in the East except Florida.

It is possible that they can migrate eastward from the Rockies but I think we would hear that they are now in Wisconsin or Ontario first. Also, there are wolves in those areas which I think are more likely to get to NY first.

The other possibility is some wacko might release captive panthers into the wild by themselves. You would need two of course to get a breeding pair.

Also I am pretty skeptical of "Monster Quest" claiming that there are Mountain Lions in the Palisades, which are in the New York suburbs. We have bears but no lions, sorry, lol!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think we have to be careful about the claims about Mountain Lions (Cougars/Panthers) in New York State. Not only does the state claim not to have any, either does any of the state or provinces in the East except Florida.

It is possible that they can migrate eastward from the Rockies but I think we would hear that they are now in Wisconsin or Ontario first. Also, there are wolves in those areas which I think are more likely to get to NY first.

The other possibility is some wacko might release captive panthers into the wild by themselves. You would need two of course to get a breeding pair.

Also I am pretty skeptical of "Monster Quest" claiming that there are Mountain Lions in the Palisades, which are in the New York suburbs. We have bears but no lions, sorry, lol!
Haha, Monster Quest also claims there's a Sasquatch roaming around in Upstate NY. I've seen bears and even moose roaming around here in the 'burbs where I live (about 50-60 miles south of the 'dacks), but I think it'd be a pretty epic day if they ever find big cats roaming around the 'burbs in this part of the state.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:26 PM

633 posts, read 1,950,505 times
Ok, like I said I'm don't have any experience with them.
And I just moved back up a notch on the food chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Sorry Mike but it's a bobcat. Big bobcat, small fawn. Adults males can be over 3' long and can weigh over 30lbs.

I never heard of bobcats breeding with mountain lions in the wild.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
laguna mountain CA, both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York