Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 10:16 AM

246 posts, read 1,248,903 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the job market for IT Network Administrators and HR Assistant, Recruiter, Admin Assistant and even Receptionist is and what areas of upstate would have these types of jobs. Also, what areas are best to raise a family (low crime, affordable housing, good schools, etc). We've look at the posts and just have so many questions about where to go....we're originally from Brooklyn, NY and want to come back to the east but not necessarily to Brooklyn. We still have family in NY and have always liked the upstate area to raise our family....thanking you all in advance for any information you provide! =D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 12:30 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,912,196 times
I WAS going to say great..but then unfortunately came the good schools, affordable housing question. Being from brooklyn, you know how expensive new york is.

Do you mean Hudson Valley upstate or albany, rochester upstate? Most people here from the valley are commuting to city/white plains, and bergan....

Old 04-30-2007, 12:44 PM

246 posts, read 1,248,903 times
Oops, yeah I meant upstate...pretty much anywhere upstate with those qualifications. We were looking at Buffalo, Syracuse, etc...not sure exactly where to go. We've actually looked at every state it seems (lol). thanks for your help!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM

U sure you want to come back to snow? LOL....I would love come back to the sun!

Old 04-30-2007, 03:20 PM

18 posts, read 147,027 times
Vegas Grl
I live in Orange County, and unfortunately was unable to find anything close to home. Everything that you are looking for is either across the river -Westchester, Putnam counties - and it's close to up to 1 hr drive, or in Northern New Jersey - Bergen, Morris, Passaic counties - which is also up to 1 hr drive. I am mentioning these counties only because there one can get a decent salary comparing to the one one would get working in NYC (which is up to 2 hrs by train or by bus). Once again, I can speak only for Orange County.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLE View Post
Vegas Grl
I live in Orange County, and unfortunately was unable to find anything close to home. Everything that you are looking for is either across the river -Westchester, Putnam counties - and it's close to up to 1 hr drive, or in Northern New Jersey - Bergen, Morris, Passaic counties - which is also up to 1 hr drive. I am mentioning these counties only because there one can get a decent salary comparing to the one one would get working in NYC (which is up to 2 hrs by train or by bus). Once again, I can speak only for Orange County.
I am an oc native as well..and yes...you cannot make a comparison..its very difficult. I live just north of putnam (dutchess)..and its two different worlds..where there is major retail box shopping and mall services at least 3-4 cities....There is only one shopping mall PER county here. And putnam doesnt even have one..so that county goes to our side or westchester. The landscape is different...its rural...not Stucco and red tile roof....the lawns are not manicured and there are no sidewalks...I dont understand why..but there are no sidewalks.

Its hard to find municipal water and sewer...most of the homes here run on private well and septic tank..and yes its what it sounds like...a big tank in the yard with all "your stuff" in it. LOL.

It is an adjustment....not good or bad..but it depends on what you are looking for. I would move back in a heartbeat...my hubby wouldnt even have to consult me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York