Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 PM

27 posts, read 83,995 times

Advertisements

My partner and I were just visiting Plattsburgh 2 weeks ago. We found it to be a charming town and the real estate prices looked very reasonable (we are currently living in a large Midwestern city). I am originally from the East and would like to move back in that direction. What are job prospects like? Does anyone know how well outsiders are integrated into the community? I like the small size but wonder about it being close-minded. Any other advice about relocating there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:26 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd72 View Post
My partner and I were just visiting Plattsburgh 2 weeks ago. We found it to be a charming town and the real estate prices looked very reasonable (we are currently living in a large Midwestern city). I am originally from the East and would like to move back in that direction. What are job prospects like? Does anyone know how well outsiders are integrated into the community? I like the small size but wonder about it being close-minded. Any other advice about relocating there?
Don't judge a book by it's cover. We've lived here for 3 years, and it has done nothing but get worse. Jobs are VERY scarce. Everything is full or part-time TEMPORARY. Charming? Don't think so. Frankly, I'd stay out of New York, period. Move farther south. The Carolinas are nice. You have the best of both weathers there.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 AM

93,419 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Don't judge a book by it's cover. We've lived here for 3 years, and it has done nothing but get worse. Jobs are VERY scarce. Everything is full or part-time TEMPORARY. Charming? Don't think so. Frankly, I'd stay out of New York, period. Move farther south. The Carolinas are nice. You have the best of both weathers there.
Right, as the Carolinas have higher unemployment rates and cost of living in the general sense is not that much different at all.

It depends on what the OP can do for work. I know the hospital has it's share of jobs and there have been some companies at the old Air base that have been steady. This might help: North Country Jobs

Careers

https://jobs.plattsburgh.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1288183675353 (broken link)

Clinton Community College

You could possibly look in the Burlington VT area, as some people go back and forth for work from both areas.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 AM

93,419 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Also, Plattsburgh recently had an openly Gay mayor. So, I think the people there would alright, for the most part. You would be close to Montreal and Burlington VT too. So, you have options close by in terms of nightlife and cities with "liberal" reputations that are known.

It also had an active Air Force Base that brought in people from all over and many of those people actually stay in the area.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,900 times
I lived about 50 miles from Plattsburgh for a few years but I worked in Plattsburgh everyday. I found the people in Plattsburgh to be very friendly, genuine & helpful. For a small city I found the people of Plattsburgh to be pretty open minded, though in a lot of the smaller towns of NNY it was the complete opposite. I do think if you like the town & are ok with the size & location that you would enjoy living there but I also know that the jobs are very scarce. I was laid off from my job & couldn't find anything which is part of the reason we ended up moving to the Buffalo area. I'd definitely seek employment before moving.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:17 PM

160 posts, read 564,915 times
What Jblake and CK said. I've been here five years and moved from a liberal area, and Plattsburgh is an open-minded city, particularly for its size. I would caution you about moving here without a job in hand, especially since Plattsburgh State U. just announced it was going to have to massively cut the budget (again) in the middle of the year.
There's stuff going on (there was never a real estate bubble to burst), with some foreign companies moving in for manufacturing, but jobs aren't plentiful here. Then again, where are jobs plentiful?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,378 times
Hi Bobbie,

My husband and I are both originally from VT but we moved to Peru (just south of Plattsburgh) a couple of years ago because, as you said, real estate prices are very reasonable. Vermont has grown tremendously and the cost of living prices pushed us out. We are very happy on this side of Lake Champlain as we are close to the water, Plattsburgh and Peru are both not very crowded, and the people are very friendly and open-minded. The other really neat thing about Plattsburgh is that you are just one hour from Lake Placid/Saranac Lake area, Montreal, and Burlington. You can even be in Saratoga Springs for the Horse Track in the summer in less than 2 hours. Albany International Airport is just another half hour beyond that. Plattsburgh Airport is growing and they offer reasonable, direct airfare to Boston, Myrtle Beach, and Florida! Spirit Airlines is now flying from Plattsburgh to the Caribbean for really low prices. Like anywhere in this economy, jobs can be scarce but this area offers CVPH - a major hospital - if you or your partner is in the medical field, Novabus opened about a year ago, Bombardier is also another company that opened up in Plattsburgh within the last couple of years. We believe that Plattsburgh/Peru is a secret paradise in that you can live, work, and play here and not that many people are aware of this! Ironically, we are selling our home in Peru Moderator cut: soliciting because we actually bought another one just down the street (we want to start a family so our new home is slightly larger). Anyway, hope I helped to answer your questions. Give Plattsburgh/Peru a chance!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-04-2010 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: real estate soliciting is not allowed

Old 11-04-2010, 04:38 PM

19 posts, read 83,270 times
Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, move to the Carolinas. We moved from the Midwest to Greenville, SC just over a year ago, with one of our reasons being the weather. It was not the wisest decision. My job is great and I am making a killing compared to what I made in Ohio, with no change in cost of living. However, if you do head south instead of going towards the lake or Vermont, don't expect any of that Southern Hospitality. They don't like Northerners.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 AM

518 posts, read 2,014,299 times
Thumbs up Slow but steady......

Do not worry about not being accepted or people not being friendly. That isn't Pburgh. It depends on what jobs you need or are looking for?

We are expanding the airport, there are tons of new restaurants coming in......Moe's Southwest Grill, Taco Bell, Texas Roadhouse, 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, and a new Aspen Dental Clinic.......other things will follow...........expansion of the airport means more jobs, and things will continue to expand for Fed Ex, UPS, hospital, docs and small businesses.....anything Canadian related or tourist related.....new Fairfield Inn and Suites coming. Just had Hampton Inn open last year and HUGE Comfort Inn hotel is set to reopen soon.....has a couple of bars and restaurants and a fitness club. There isn't an IBM or a GE here, but altogether, it is steady and small businesses don't take such a hit from economy. Homes here are just gorgeous.............I am not from here originally, but have been here for almost 30 years now....the cold got to me at first, but acclimated......worth it for hiking, canoeing, fishing, boating, heading to mountains and Lake Placid or Vermont........Love Vermont but double the real estate prices, so here is great. Great restaurants and more college kids and music is sticking around.....more of an artsy vibe since I moved here............new arts center to open and restored Strand Theatre will open.....guy on Cumberland Head is investor from Vermont and is making good money from his new movie theaters and there will be more growth.....He is psyched about Pburgh.........you can head to ADKS, have great meals, get outdoors and xcountry ski everywhere.....downhill in a few places, go tubing with no ski ability needed at Titus Mountain, go up to Montreal and see all sorts of free things........subway is EASY and spotless.........go to events at Saratoga, Burlington, Montreal, Lake Placid, and fly to a warm spot (free parking!).........very open. More people are staying around from the college, but depends on job set skills.........nice vibe here. Good luck to you!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:10 PM

27 posts, read 83,995 times
Wow- Plattsburgher- this all sounds good. My partner is fluent in Quebec French as his heritage is French Canadian. I am thinking that would be a plus given how close you are to Montreal. I currently work for the govt but have had hotel/hospitality experience so the hotels opening sounds good. I am really thinking we will do this- wish us luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York