Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:26 PM

213 posts, read 1,087,595 times

Advertisements

I've been reading the thread from michigander with great ineterest. I have a similar situation and live in Minnesota. We own our home, a 3-bdrm, 2-bath (2000 sf) that we built in 1990 on 1/2 acre. Taxes are low ($1500 annually). Short drive to/from work.

I am considering a job in Plattsburgh, NY, but taxes and utilities there scare me.

How much money would we need to make to be able to afford to live in a small town like Plattsburgh, NY?

PS I had sent an earlier--lengthier--message that was similar but got only one response. Please offer advice as this is a huge decision. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 12:39 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,918 times
Smile Depends on how much you require.......

Don't mean to be sarcastic, but there is a huge discrepancy of have and have-nots here. You can buy a lake-front home for around half a mill or have a very nice home in the city with the lowest electric rates in the nation for around 200 thousand. Possibly less now that the bubble is bursting for real estate. I am from the south originally and have two children, one in med school and one has a disability and can honestly tell you that you cannot buy a better school district in the country for your children than Plattsburgh New York's freeeeeeeeeeee City School district (no, I am not an employee). Taxes are high, but the area has no crime, clean, great schools, Burlington Vermont is a ferry ride away, Lake Placid is one hour away with Olympic type winter activities and Montreal is a little over an hour for a totally unique experience. I will probably move in the next few, because I am getting older and dislike the winters more and more........However, there are tax breaks for people earning less than 50,000 a year for housing and there is a reason the taxes are so high......There is a quality of life here and people take pride in their work and the people are extremely giving and friendly, even to outsiders...........does that help at all???????

Old 09-29-2006, 01:19 PM

23 posts, read 126,296 times
Just from one time having to travel to Plattsburgh on business, the air is so clean it smells almost perfumey. More clean than Albany area. The people are really relaxed and healthy looking too!!

Old 09-30-2006, 12:30 PM

Thank you Plattsburgher! I appreciate the time you spent replying. The details you provided helped me a lot. I had no idea that there were tax breaks for those who earn under $50,000. One of the things that scared me most was that we'd get there, work there, and then come retirement be forced to leave our home b/c we couldn't afford the taxes.

My husband is in the building industry. (He designs homes, additions, remodel projects.) Do you think he could find work up there?

Old 09-30-2006, 08:48 PM

Post But it is verrrrry cold up here............

The simple answer is 'yes' because this area is growing lately, but there is little outdoor construction going on in the winter and we do have some cold weather. Last year was very mild, though. We seem to having an influx of second/vacation homes here also, particularly since 9/11. I talked to a log cabin builder who came into our office a few weeks ago and he said that he couldn't keep up with all the people from downstate (NYC and Jersey) who were building second or retirement homes in the Adirondacks (look on the map and you will see that Plattsburgh is the largest city closest to the Adirondack Park with lots of gorgeous lakes and people with huge money to come up and play in them as often as possible). We have a Lowe's here and several other big lumber supply stores and construction guys do well up here. Land is relatively cheap ouside the city, but again the city lots are higher because of the low electric rates and fantastic school system. There is a local newspaper called the Press Republican. You can google it and look online for more news, etc............I would bet that if you guys are nice and honest, word gets around very quickly. You might have to drive a little ways to a site but you would get work. We also have a lot of Canadians who come here for a second home, summer homes, camps, business/tax breaks, etc and NY state has a special system set up for them to come here with incentives, etc. Our taxes get a bad rap but it depends on what value you place on quality of life. We have excellent police, roads, clean air, work ethic, schools, but it might not be the most exciting place to live. If you are into nightlife, you won't find it here, however, it is a college town so we do have lectures and there is a lot of history here. Revolutional war battles were fought on the lake and it is a huge lake with another source of potential revenue for you guys. There is limited waterfront property and we have tons that is being snapped up by all the above people...............glad to help you. I am just tired of the cold, but it's a great place to live nicely on a little or a lot. People are great.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:04 PM

Default I like it cold

Thanks again, Plattsburger. You've been a tremendous help. I am glad to hear there is a Lowe's (put my husband's mind at ease). I'm not afraid of the cold--prefer it to hot. Plus I currently live in MN, and it's cold here too. When I think of more q's I'll be back!

Old 10-12-2006, 02:25 PM

Default more questions on Plattsburgh

Would you say people are friendly? I'm fairly out-going--if I start talking to the person picking out peaches next to me in the grocery store, for example, will they talk with me or think I'm totally weird?

Is the area red-neck and back-woods or calm (slower paced than the city) but still contemporary?

Are there cultural opportunities (plays, music events...)?

What does down town Plattsburgh look like? I've seen pics of down town Lake Placid and pics of down town Burlington VT--both look very cute/quaint--but no pics of down town Plattsburgh.

When I look at real estate in the area, I notice a lot of homes have outdoor swimming pools. Why? Summer is short and mild there--is a pool necessary or is it more of a status symbol?

How bad are the mosquitoes/biting flies in summer?

How much is the ferry ride to Burlington?

Thanks again! My questions may seem simple, but the everyday stuff adds up and can affect a person's happiness!

Old 10-13-2006, 09:50 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
IMO downtown Burlington is nicer than Plattsburg. However, Plattsburg seems to be going through a rennaisance of sorts - some of the old air base housing quarters are being turned into condos, and new waterfront hotel is planned for downtown. I like the Cumberland Head area of Plattsburg the best.
Ferry info is here: www.ferries.com
I like going over to Plattsburg to go to Gander Mountain....great store!
Hopefully Plattsburger can shed some more light for you!

Old 10-13-2006, 01:56 PM

Default Hello Plattsburgher??

Thanks--I appreciate info from all of you! I've never been there and don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Hey Plattsburgher--where are you? Out shovelling snow, maybe?

Old 10-13-2006, 07:39 PM

Smile Keep in mind, not a native...........only 25 years here!

[quote=snowlandcook;123263]Would you say people are friendly? I'm fairly out-going--if I start talking to the person picking out peaches next to me in the grocery store, for example, will they talk with me or think I'm totally weird?

In my opinion, people are surprisingly friendly and I lived my first twenty-five in the deep south. However, I am a friendly person myself and think you get what you give in life. I talk to people everywhere and think because there is less stress up here, people are friendly and willing to connect because it isn't as large and impersonal as a larger place. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that people were as friendly as they are when I arrived here 25 years ago.

Is the area red-neck and back-woods or calm (slower paced than the city) but still contemporary?

There are definitely two distinct components to this area.......which may be true of most areas, but it is very obvious to me. I am a healthcare person, so I see everyone. There are professionals......lawyers, doctors, teachers, business people and they do more of the civic, social, public service, and have children who do more arts and sports, etc. However, there are some people up here who would make the Dukes of Hazzard, Beverly Hillbilly stereotypical southerner look like Paris Hilton. I had previously thought there were only rednecks in the south. The few folks with no teeth, however reside in the more remote areas. There ARE lots of nice neighborhoods outside the city that are extremely rewarding and wonderful to live in......Have lived in a couple myself, and you will be fine with the help of a good realtor and word of mouth.

Are there cultural opportunities (plays, music events...)?

Yes, but.................They are proportionate to the size of the town itself. However, we have a very active college and also Burlington, Vermont is just a ferry ride away with tons of things and Montreal is not that far with more and Lake Placid/Saranac Lake is west with more........If you want it, you can find it. Do you have children? You can be busier than you ever imagined with school plays, fundraisers, charity, parent activities, sports, lessons, and outdoor activities, both winter and summer..........People up here are extremely family oriented.............!

What does down town Plattsburgh look like? I've seen pics of down town Lake Placid and pics of down town Burlington VT--both look very cute/quaint--but no pics of down town Plattsburgh.

Downtown Plattsburgh has seen better days but is being revitalized. It isn't huge and the college tends to use it at night because of the restaurants and bars there.........To me, downtown shouldn't factor in.........more people go to the malls. Having said that though, there are some festivals and times when downtown is packed. Fourth of July, Mayor's Cup week, Battle of Plattsburgh are when there are fireworks and the streets are closed off to traffic........Family friendly activities.....with some really nice restaurants.

When I look at real estate in the area, I notice a lot of homes have outdoor swimming pools. Why? Summer is short and mild there--is a pool necessary or is it more of a status symbol?

I wondered that myself when flying over Montreal............tons of pools. Think it has to do with making the most of the short summer, plus not many houses up here have air conditioning unless it is something you just do yourself. You can have a pool, make the most of short summers, have nice gatherings/cookouts for your friends and family at home, and cool off quickly when we have a heat wave. Could be a status symbol, but don't think most people up here even think that way at all..........

How bad are the mosquitoes/biting flies in summer?

Totally depends on where you live. In the city, there are no blackflies or bugs to speak of. Outside the city, different story. Lots of people up here have screened porches or gazebos. I lived out in the country in our first house, though and survived. Plattsburgh city is sooooooo much better than country for that problem, though.

How much is the ferry ride to Burlington?

Round trip I think for car and driver is around 12? Think it went up a little when gas went up but there is a commuter booklet that you can by that never expires and it cuts your costs more.........
Good luck.....doing my own investigations right now...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York