Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

Sorry you didn't like Zebulon, but gosh, what made you pick Zebulon in the first place? I think I would be bored to tears out there as well. I am from NJ and now live in Raleigh and love it here. Even though I live in the burbs I work in downtown raleigh and spend a lot of time there and Downtown Durham. Anybody who tells you there isn't a character to this area just doesn't get out enough. You have to go to the more urban cores to find the real charachter of this area. If you choose to live in Bedroom communities like Apex, Holly Springs, Clayton or Zebulon you are setting yourself up for a more suburban, stay at home mom, eating at Applebees type of lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that, but if you are expecting something else you should try moving closer to the urban metro areas of Raleigh and Durham where there is more to do.

Seriously though, Best of luck to you with your move back to NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 05:36 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Take a look at Richmond but then keep on going...it's the same here. We moved here from upstate NY last summer....this summer we're going back. So many reasons....and New Yorkers know them all. Can't wait to get back to the good food and friendly people!
Wanderlost, what part of Richmond and what do you find wrong with it? I'm a NY er and I hated my first year here also, but most of that was me not wanting to change and feeling like I was forced out of NY by good old Mario Cuomo. Actually it was Mario who helped me get over moving when someone asked him on a radio phone in show what was he going to do about all the young college grads who were moving away. He said he didn't care, at that point neither did I and I waved ba-bye to good old NY.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:42 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missNY View Post
Any yankee down in NC feel like me?? Something is missing here that just isn't home. Lived in the lower hudson valley all my life, got tired of the rat race wanted better life for family....You all know what I mean right?? I even wrote the governor for squashing out the hard working middle class, never heard back. I have been here w/my husband and daughter for 8 LONG months, he's doing better than her and I but we are already putting house back on market. Please NC people when you read this don't get mad I DON"T HATE your state but the majority of you HATE us northerners and I'm sick of it! Guess what you won, we are going back home to kids playing outdoors and neighbors chatting in the front yard and we'll pay through our ***! And yeah some of us may be rude maybe because you are so rude to us, (rolling your eyes as you here my "accent", saying "you won't hold it against me" when I say I'm from NY. I guess I'm bitter, when you get that mostly everyday, how would you feel. Anyway, thanks for letting me sound off and if anybody thinks the grass is greener in NC, think again, don't come here until your kids are grown and you are prepared to live in solitude w/your spouse or significant other.. BYE BYE ignorancy, hello integellency!!! Can't wait to get back, hope my house sells soon!!! I LOVE NY!!!!
Its ok if you retreat. We already beat there ass in the war!!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
I didn't relocate to the south, instead I moved West (California) and I sincerely regret the move. Los Angeles is not what I thought it would be and I am literally having the toughest time finding employment. People are fake and will lie to you about miniscule things in order to impress you. I've been here 3 and 1/2 years and other than going to the beach, I have yet to experience any real fun here or meet quality men.

Well, I give up and plan on making my way back to NYC. At least there, I can take the public transportation anywhere I need to and can find employment without having to have a "friend" on the inside.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:52 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I didn't relocate to the south, instead I moved West (California) and I sincerely regret the move. Los Angeles is not what I thought it would be and I am literally having the toughest time finding employment. People are fake and will lie to you about miniscule things in order to impress you. I've been here 3 and 1/2 years and other than going to the beach, I have yet to experience any real fun here or meet quality men.

Well, I give up and plan on making my way back to NYC. At least there, I can take the public transportation anywhere I need to and can find employment without having to have a "friend" on the inside.
Try Sacramento! Your already there, its cheaper and the job market is booming there!

Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Try Sacramento! Your already there, its cheaper and the job market is booming there!
Really???? I'm going to do some research.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
marilyn220. I'm originally from Connecut but currently live in Kansas City and I've found the people here are nearly as pretentious and fake as the clowns in and from California. In fact, the California way of life seems to permeate the local culture and attitude of the people. I suspect this is due to the fact a number of people from California are now moving to this area. I've experienced enough California people away from California to know that you are not likely to find what you are looking for in another part of the state.

You'll stand a far better chance at finding a decent guy in the Northeast than California. Kansas City is also a terrible place to find a mate of the opposite sex be it man or woman. My experiences with the women here have been largely awful and a guy I work with who hails from Minnesota/Wisconsin has also had very tough luck simply finding one that you can even talk to, let alone go out with you for more than a night or two.

Move back to New York. You'll be better off.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 63,985 times
Thanks to all of you, great comments and replies. We tried something and it didn't work out, I know one thing for sure, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. You can't take New York out of this New Yorker, what's good for some, isn't for others. Whatever makes any of us happier is where we need to be!!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 83,975 times
Default Charlotte NC

I moved to Charlotte, NC... for 30 days. Worst place I've ever lived. Strange people. They drive like psychopaths. They think the highway is a Nascar race. When they meet you, the first thing they ask is "where do you go to church" and they're all born again evangelicals.
It's was like being in the twilight zone.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:04 PM

177 posts, read 614,047 times
Wow. A lot of mixed opinions here. I definitely think it boils down to the people you're surrounded by. I am from Murfreesboro/Nashville, Tennessee. But once my girlfriend and get married we're moving to Brooklyn. My dad lived in LI for 15 yrs...hates the place. I, on the other hand, can't get enough of the "5 Bouroughs". Ingnorance is wherever you find it. I've met some of the rudest people in Murfreesboro/Nashville. While some of the people I've met in NYC have been the nicest people I've ever met. Yet my dad tells an entirely different story. Let him tell it, NYC is the last place anyone should want to live outside of Baghdad.

I took my girlfriend there for her first time 2years ago, and she fell in love. So now she argues with people here who say "why would you ever want to live in New York?"

So to the starter of this thread, I feel you. I know the South can be as rude, if not ruder, than Northerners are pegged to be. And I've had experiences where Northerners (esp. my family in Connecticut) assume I'm not aware of a lot of things because I'm from the South. And they've never traveled outside of their state. You just can't escape ignorance. The town you landed in is probably the problem. Just like it's probably not wise to move to any NYC neighborhood without researching it, you have to do the same here. There are plenty of us Southerners ready to embrace you amazing Northerners with open arms.

Best of luck in what you decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York