Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincur63 View Post
Really check out the areas is a good warning... maybe rent an apt or stay in short term hotel for a few months. I stayed in an apt for 5 months and still didn't realize that the town i chose was a mistake. You are a little blinded by the excitement and newness of a place for a bit. I wish i would have moved to a more progressive town. But if you pick a big city , like greensboro you should be ok, if you get the right neighborhood. I like my neighborhood but it's the locals i can't deal with. Not very educated, a little backwoods type for the most part they are ok. i just can't stay here too much longer... been three years, hoping not to make four. (can't sell the home yet)
It's this kind of attitude which makes the locals not welcome you in the south. i.e. "its the locals I can't deal with" "not very educated"

NYers are no more intelligent than than southerners. Everyone knows that the south is conservative and there are a lot of "country" folks that are Baptists, like country music, etc. If that's not the type of people that you like or would like to befriend, then best to stay in NY.

That said, if you are open to people of different culture, differing political persuasion, and you open up and are friendly, you will not have a problem with most folks in the south - sure there are some redneck jerks that will never accept you because of your NY accent, etc., but there are similar types in NY and all over the world, and most decent folks in the south don't like this type either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 AM

152 posts, read 321,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
It's this kind of attitude which makes the locals not welcome you in the south. i.e. "its the locals I can't deal with" "not very educated"

NYers are no more intelligent than than southerners. Everyone knows that the south is conservative and there are a lot of "country" folks that are Baptists, like country music, etc. If that's not the type of people that you like or would like to befriend, then best to stay in NY.

That said, if you are open to people of different culture, differing political persuasion, and you open up and are friendly, you will not have a problem with most folks in the south - sure there are some redneck jerks that will never accept you because of your NY accent, etc., but there are similar types in NY and all over the world, and most decent folks in the south don't like this type either.
What most of you don't realize is that for one....long island and NY became overpopulated from people who moved there from other parts of the country, the same is true of seattle area. so we accept all others to our areas with open arms, and enjoyed the company. The same is not true in reverse of most southern areas, you would think they have some kind of say in who should move to their areas, and they don't. so it was ok when all the southerners moved north for jobs and good economy , but it's not ok to do the reverse.

for two, i have a ton of friends here in south central PA, that is not the problem. I make friends wherever i move to . i am in a field that really helps that. Me and my local friends and co workers all have the same complaints... and we all get a good laugh out of the "locals" . they are way more uneducated then in NY. I cannot believe how many illiterate people i have had to deal with here. They don't understand even the simplest of things. (just the other day in the store, a woman in her late 40's had to be instructed in several different ways on what buy one get one at half off meant.... this is not a new concept, it's been around for years). I have to dumb it down so much it isn't funny. Look up the schools ratings, it's not made up stuff. i mean and really go on to a pro south board if you want to spew all that. this is for NYer's so beat it!!! lol

Old 07-30-2011, 01:51 PM

205 posts, read 389,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincur63 View Post
I cannot believe how many illiterate people i have had to deal with here. They don't understand even the simplest of things. (just the other day in the store, a woman in her late 40's had to be instructed in several different ways on what buy one get one at half off meant.... this is not a new concept, it's been around for years). I have to dumb it down so much it isn't funny.
Sounds like North Florida lol

Old 07-01-2012, 09:02 PM

475 posts, read 853,078 times
I'm from Mahopac New York and now live in Virginia and go to college down in Richmond. Richmond is a city I like. However I do miss New York dearly but the taxes in putnam/westchester are just sickening. I have a good job and prior college/tech school and question my ability to ever be able to afford to live there again. I like the state of Virginia but deeply miss my hometown, I'm torn wether I should stay or go.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 PM

475 posts, read 853,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post

I'm from New York and I like country music and hushpuppies, them things are good ya'll...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York