Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,323 times

Advertisements

Beacuse the CPI is negative this past year any NYS school budget not passed will need to be cut slightly for 2010-2011 due to the NYS Contingency Law.

So, assemblyman Bill Nolan has introduced bill A8852.
From the bill:
PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL: This bill would permit school districts which will operate on a contingency budget for the 2010-2011 school years to use a five-year average CPI in calculating the allowable total spending increases permitted under a contingency budget.

SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS: Section 1 amends the education law to permit school districts which will operate on a contingency budget to calculate allowable increases based on the average of CPI's for the previous five years. Section 2 makes the bill effective on May 1, 2010 and repeals the provisions on December 1, 2010.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
If you believe, as I do, that the Contingency Law is one reason school budgets continually inflate beyond reason then you should look into this bill and call your Assemblyperson to express your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 AM

Wow. For all of the talk about runaway teaher salaries and school budgets on LI I expected more of a response about this bill.

It's my opinion the Taylor Law and the Contingency Law are the primary reasons school budgets are in a never-ending inflation spiral. Both laws have taken local budget control away from the people that actually pay the salaries and costs in our school districts.

The amendment described above is an attempt to circumvent what should be a natural deflator of school budgets. They are doing this at the exact time when school administrators across NY are being told that the residents are tapped out and cannot pay anymore.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
KMR,

Don't be surprised. Only 1 person answered me when I put up info on how to see YOUR actual school budget. I was expecting a ton of comments. Then nobody answered me when I put up the website of the Nassau and Suffolk School Superintendent Association that actually had their talking points and battle plans on it to keep the raises and entitlements coming at full speed.

I think a lot of people on here like to COMPLAIN but when the data and hard facts get in the conversation they tend to back off.

Thank you for posting this and I will be contacting my assemblyperson about it.

PS: One of the "talking points" I mentioned that I found on the Superintendents' website was about "how to budget" and had the advice to "never, ever budget below 3 years" and just for the reasons you stated above.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:24 PM

416 posts, read 697,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Beacuse the CPI is negative this past year any NYS school budget not passed will need to be cut slightly for 2010-2011 due to the NYS Contingency Law.

So, assemblyman Bill Nolan has introduced bill A8852.
From the bill:
PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL: This bill would permit school districts which will operate on a contingency budget for the 2010-2011 school years to use a five-year average CPI in calculating the allowable total spending increases permitted under a contingency budget.

SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS: Section 1 amends the education law to permit school districts which will operate on a contingency budget to calculate allowable increases based on the average of CPI's for the previous five years. Section 2 makes the bill effective on May 1, 2010 and repeals the provisions on December 1, 2010.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
If you believe, as I do, that the Contingency Law is one reason school budgets continually inflate beyond reason then you should look into this bill and call your Assemblyperson to express your opinion.
It's ASSemblywoman Catherine Nolan.

Here's some info about her:
link: New York State Assembly - Member Section

Catherine Nolan
Biography

Catherine Nolan represents the 37th Assembly District in Queens County, which includes the historic New York City neighborhoods of Sunnyside, Ridgewood, Long Island City, Queensbridge, Ravenswood, Astoria, Woodside, Maspeth, Dutch Kills and Blissville. She was first elected to the Assembly in 1984.
A resident of the district for most of her life, she is a graduate of St. Aloysius R.C. School and Grover Cleveland High School. Ms. Nolan graduated from New York University *** laude with a B.A. degree in Political Science.
Speaker Sheldon Silver appointed Ms. Nolan to Chair the Assembly’s Committee on Education in 2006. She has spearheaded efforts to achieve class size reduction, universal pre-k, middle school initiatives, improve high school graduation rates and other measures that will ultimately mean success for the more than three million school children in New York State. As a parent of a public school student, Assemblywoman Nolan will bring a parent’s perspective to ongoing education debates.
Prior to Chairing the Education Committee, Ms. Nolan Chaired the Assembly’s Committee on Banks from 2003. She has focused that Committee’s efforts on enhancing consumer protections and maintaining a competitive balance among financial institutions, successfully passing numerous new banking related laws. Among Ms. Nolan's initial achievements was the extension of the state's wildcard provisions that foster parity between federal and state-chartered banks. She also authored a new law to extend the retention period for ATM surveillance tapes in an effort to curb ATM fraud.
Ms. Nolan also Chaired the Committee on Labor. As Chairwoman she led the Committee’s review of workers' compensation, worker safety, protection and privacy laws. She successfully passed legislation in the Assembly to raise the minimum wage, to enhance whistleblower protections for healthcare workers, strengthen sweatshop enforcement, tighten enforcement of unpaid wage violations, protect innocent bystanders involved in strikes and to create a special fund to investigate prevailing wage violations. Ms. Nolan also continued to focus on occupational safety and health and worker education and retraining, securing funding for several programs, including the first ever occupational safety and health clinic in Queens. She has also held hearings on such important issues as raising the minimum wage, wage and hour violations, workers' compensation, the understaffing of nurses and age discrimination in the workplace.
For many years in the legislature Ms. Nolan was the Assembly’s representative to the MTA Capital Program Review Board, where she successfully signed the third MTA Capital Plan, driving millions of dollars to mass transit. She was successful in passing laws increasing the public's participation in MTA decisions, extending the arbitration provisions for MTA's labor unions and requiring fire safety training for employees.
In addition, she serves on the Ways and Means Committee, the Veterans' Affairs Committee and the Corporations, Authorities and Commissions Committee. She also serves on the Assembly Majority Steering Committee, and the Rules Committee. Assemblywoman Nolan previously chaired the Real Property Taxation Committee, where she was successful in passing important legislation to save taxpayer dollars by consolidating assessing units and a bill allowing the United Nations Development Corporation to expand its New York City-based operation for UNICEF. Prior to that, she chaired the NYS Assembly Commission on State-Federal Relations, where she focused on fighting for more federal aid for public transportation. Assemblywoman Nolan is also a proud past Chair of the Legislative Women’s Caucus. Assemblywoman Nolan is active in many civic associations in her district where she has been the recipient of numerous awards.
She lives with her husband, Gerard Marsicano, and son Nicholas on Grove Street in Ridgewood.
Standing Committee Assignments 2007: Education (Chair); Corporations, Authorities and Commissions; Rules; Veterans’ Affairs; Ways and Means.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:26 PM

I love it how c-d blocked out c u m laude

Old 03-19-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Wow. For all of the talk about runaway teaher salaries and school budgets on LI I expected more of a response about this bill.

It's my opinion the Taylor Law and the Contingency Law are the primary reasons school budgets are in a never-ending inflation spiral. Both laws have taken local budget control away from the people that actually pay the salaries and costs in our school districts.

The amendment described above is an attempt to circumvent what should be a natural deflator of school budgets. They are doing this at the exact time when school administrators across NY are being told that the residents are tapped out and cannot pay anymore.
And I agree - this is the biggest crock of sh*t around.

Actually the NYS website gives the ability for people to comment on the bill. I am definitely going to comment tonight.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
It's ASSemblywoman Catherine Nolan.
I stand corrected. I had a bit of dyslexia when read the bill on the state website.

Also, thanks for responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York