Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:15 AM

93,182 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Professional reference in the Rochester area: https://rbj.net/2018/12/05/jewish-senior-life-4/
https://rbj.net/2019/03/06/the-jewis...ter-rochester/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 07:43 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,896,864 times
I encountered a lot of Anti-Semitism in Buffalo growing up. I overheard one of my friends mother's saying "I don't want a Jew in this house" needless to say I never went back there. I was picked on constantly in school (Amherst Central). Many, not all, Polish people I encountered in Buffalo were Anti-Semitic. I had a Polish girlfriend, after college, whose father was not keen on Jews. Ironically I was born in Manhattan and spent my first 4 years in Middle Village Queens. My grandfather was a Rabbi. My father had a business in Brooklyn. We moved from Pro-Jewish NYC to Anti-Semitic Buffalo for a better economic opportunity, plus my father was Canadian. There have been many times in my life I wished we had never left NYC. I would not have had to hide my Jewishness and would have been much happier. But such is life.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I encountered a lot of Anti-Semitism in Buffalo growing up. I overheard one of my friends mother's saying "I don't want a Jew in this house" needless to say I never went back there. I was picked on constantly in school (Amherst Central). Many, not all, Polish people I encountered in Buffalo were Anti-Semitic. I had a Polish girlfriend, after college, whose father was not keen on Jews. Ironically I was born in Manhattan and spent my first 4 years in Middle Village Queens. My grandfather was a Rabbi. My father had a business in Brooklyn. We moved from Pro-Jewish NYC to Anti-Semitic Buffalo for a better economic opportunity, plus my father was Canadian. There have been many times in my life I wished we had never left NYC. I would not have had to hide my Jewishness and would have been much happier. But such is life.
Interesting and may explain why many of the Jews in the US(and other countries) have Eastern European roots...

I dare say that while I'm sure they aren't perfect, the 3 other bigger Upstate areas seem to have a bigger Jewish influence. For instance, I don't know if some people realize that about 20-25% of Syracuse University's student population is Jewish and SUNY Oswego(also in the Syracuse metro) is similar. It has the 9th oldest Jewish place of worship in the country and multiple more Jewish places of worship nearby(Messianic, Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, etc.). As mentioned earlier in the thread, arguably the best Jewish Basketball player of all time, Dolph Schayes(Bronx guy, DeWitt Clinton HS/NYU) lived in DeWitt(Jamesville-DeWitt SD) going back to his time with the Syracuse Nationals(now the Philadelphia 76ers, left Syracuse in 1964) until his passing a couple of years ago(actually, his son Danny, who became an 18 year NBA vet himself). Fayetteville-Manlius, another eastern suburb and even the outer parts of Syracuse's East Side are other nearby areas with a visible Jewish presence.

What I also find interesting is that Amherst Central seems to have similar characteristics to other suburbs like Brighton in the Rochester area, Jamesville-DeWitt in the Syracuse area, Niskayuna outside of Schenectayd, New Hartford outside of Utica and Vestal outside of Binghamton, all which have substantial Jewish populations in relation to their area. All also seem to have substantial Asian populations in relation to the rest their area and in terms of middle class black residents in relation to at least suburbs in those areas, at least currently.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Interesting and may explain why many of the Jews in the US(and other countries) have Eastern European roots...

I dare say that while I'm sure they aren't perfect, the 3 other bigger Upstate areas seem to have a bigger Jewish influence. For instance, I don't know if some people realize that about 20-25% of Syracuse University's student population is Jewish and SUNY Oswego(also in the Syracuse metro) is similar. It has the 9th oldest Jewish place of worship in the country and multiple more Jewish places of worship nearby(Messianic, Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, etc.). As mentioned earlier in the thread, arguably the best Jewish Basketball player of all time, Dolph Schayes(Bronx guy, DeWitt Clinton HS/NYU) lived in DeWitt(Jamesville-DeWitt SD) going back to his time with the Syracuse Nationals(now the Philadelphia 76ers, left Syracuse in 1964) until his passing a couple of years ago(actually, his son Danny, who became an 18 year NBA vet himself). Fayetteville-Manlius, another eastern suburb and even the outer parts of Syracuse's East Side are other nearby areas with a visible Jewish presence.

What I also find interesting is that Amherst Central seems to have similar characteristics to other suburbs like Brighton in the Rochester area, Jamesville-DeWitt in the Syracuse area, Niskayuna outside of Schenectayd, New Hartford outside of Utica and Vestal outside of Binghamton, all which have substantial Jewish populations in relation to their area. All also seem to have substantial Asian populations in relation to the rest their area and in terms of middle class black residents in relation to at least suburbs in those areas, at least currently.
What does any of this have to do with Anti-Semitism? Of course many Jews have eastern European roots. Many came here after the WW2 holocaust when 35% of all Jews were murdered by the Nazis.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:09 AM

A relevant job opening at Colgate University: https://careers.colgate.edu/postings/2100

At Syracuse University: https://www.sujobopps.com/postings/78827

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-05-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 04-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
A relevant job opening at Colgate University: https://careers.colgate.edu/postings/2100

At Syracuse University: https://www.sujobopps.com/postings/78827
Those are 2 isolated jobs in Universities with large Jewish student populations. It has nothing to do with antisemitism.

https://nypost.com/tag/anti-semitism/

Old 04-05-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Those are 2 isolated jobs in Universities with large Jewish student populations. It has nothing to do with antisemitism.

https://nypost.com/tag/anti-semitism/
This thread isn't about anti Semitism, but Jewish communities in Upstate NY...

Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
This thread isn't about anti Semitism, but Jewish communities in Upstate NY...
Anti semitism is part of the upstate communities in NY so it most definitely is very important. I was born in Manhattan, grew up in Queens and we had a business in Brooklyn and I can assure you, as far as Jewish culture goes, upstate is nothing whatsoever like Brooklyn.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 04-05-2019 at 12:46 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 01:35 AM

Sports Hall of Fame reference in Rochester: https://www.rjs-hof.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York