Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM

118 posts, read 280,522 times

Advertisements

Boonville looks like a nice small town, anyone have any info or been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 PM

368 posts, read 831,181 times
Yes and Yes, what kind of info are you looking for???

Old 04-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Generally safety, and how easy it is to travel in the winter. I looked at Sperlings and for some reason it has way more snow that towns even somewhat south from it. But I looked at their website and pictures of nearby places and it is so beautiful.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 AM

Boonville is very safe. There are very few areas in northern new york that I would classify as unsafe. Small town USA. Some people love it, others can't stand it. Winter wise it can get pretty bad, lake effect can hit the area but not nearly as much as some other areas near there. I suggest a visit and see what you think.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
Winter wise it can get pretty bad, lake effect can hit the area but not nearly as much as some other areas near there. I suggest a visit and see what you think.
Does this mean impassable roads, million dollar heat bills or what. I am not going to visit in the dead of winter.

I think I would love a small town.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Well if you do not want to visit in the dead of winter I don't know how you would end up living there. Google lake effect snow and you will get an idea of what to expect. Winters are not for everybody and it is one of the reasons many leave. Spring and summer are great but yes winters are tough and heating bills are pretty high, not million dollars high but my furnace is still kicking on at night right now and I'm about 40 minutes away from Boonville.
This is from my current Adirondack Life mag that I just got in the mail, (Boonville is very close to the Adirondacks) anyway Robert Louis Stevenson suffered from a pulmonary ailment and his family came to spend the winters in the mountains of northern New York-Saranac Lake. In letters to friends he complained of the "tragic climate.....of which I can say no good except that it suits me and some others of the same or similar persuasions whom (by all rights) it ought to kill." He felt better than he had in years, and he credited the dark nights for inspiring his next novel, The Master of Ballantrae: A Winters Tale, about a death-defying adventurer brought down only by the frigid Adirondacks. He wrote 92 pages in Saranac lake but would complete the book while under sail to the South Pacific, where he spent the rest of his brief life. He died in 1894, at age 44.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:36 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Lucille, are you looking for a nice small community in the middle of the state? There are plenty to choose from. I think some communities/villages you might like are: Hamilton, Clinton, Chittenango, Homer, Skaneateles, Manlius, Cazenovia, Camden, Pulaski, Baldwinsville, Waterville and Marathon, among others. What are some things you are looking for in a smaller community? All of these places vary in terms of what they offer and affordablility in housing. some have colleges, some are more affluent, some are close to a bigger city, some are more rural, some are somewhat touristy and so on....

Old 04-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Thanks for your time in listing those communities, I will look through them. Right now I'm trying to face the reality that my home here in Texas may not sell for what I want for it.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
I lived & worked in Boonville for 9 months. I was asked if I
1. Fished
2. Hunted
3. 4-wheeled
4. Rode snow mobiles

When I said "NO" to all the above, I was asked why I was living there. When I replied to work and pay bills, they looked at me like I was from outer space. I'm glad I don't live there anymore.

Signed:

I escaped Boonville and now live in Albany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York