Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM

213 posts, read 865,183 times

Advertisements

2000 Nissan Altima GXE.

So I got my toll-tags today. Before affixing the sticker on the windshield, I tried to clean the windshield. While moving the rear-view mirror around, it just popped off the windshield!

Now I need to fix it back. Googling told me that I need to remove the metallic base as shown in the picture but I just can't remove it. Does any one have any idea how do I do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
That part has a slight wedge shape, correct? If so, I would position the mirror on a block of wood or something similar so that you can tap the metal piece with a punch gently tapped by a hammer. The piece should free itself if you tap it in the correct direction.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
There's usually a tiny screw that holds the slidey-over part of the arm tight against the metal mounting base. You'll need to loosen that screw before attempting to remove the base.

I've had similar problems before and bought a re-gluing kit to re-attach the mount to the windshield. I never could get it to stay, so I ended up taking to an auto-glass place that re-mounted it for me for ten bucks.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
The ones I've seen have either a screw, spring, or just gravity holding the mirror onto the little metal piece. Once you determine how it's held on, it should come off easily. Keep in mind that the intent is for the mirror to come off the windshield fairly easily, so you shouldn't have to use a bunch of force to get it off that metal plate. I've taken both of my current mirrors off several times for various reasons including cleaning the windshield (much easier with the mirror gone).

There are remount kits that have the correct glue and even a replacement metal pad. I've never had a problem with them, but I can see how it can happen.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There's usually a tiny screw that holds the slidey-over part of the arm tight against the metal mounting base. You'll need to loosen that screw before attempting to remove the base.

I've had similar problems before and bought a re-gluing kit to re-attach the mount to the windshield. I never could get it to stay, so I ended up taking to an auto-glass place that re-mounted it for me for ten bucks.
Same here Drover...I've tried to re glue those things back on dozens of times over the years and it seems like the first hot day that you have,you come back to find your mirror on the floorboard....auto glass shops are the way to go...I don't know if the glue they use is not available to the general public,to expensive or has to be bought in bulk or what, but whatever it is,it's good.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Take it to a glass shop or to a dealership. They'll reglue the metal piece back to the windshield. You'll need to wait a few days for it to harden and dry since it is currently winter. After that you can slide the mirror back on.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 AM

213 posts, read 865,183 times
Thank you all for guiding me on this. I could get the metal strip off after sliding a flat head screwdriver through the hole in a bottom and pressing down on a plate, which reduced the tension on the metal plate long enough to slide it off.

Now that the metal plate has been removed, should I give the re-mounting kit a shot? I am in DFW, so I guess the temperature will not be a problem in getting the glue to properly harden.

Any idea how much a glass-shop would charge for this? And what exactly does a glass-shop means? Sorry for asking a stupid question but I have been in US for only 1 year now so still learning my way around.

One final question. Is it illegal to drive without the rear-view mirror in place? Can I get a ticket for this?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I have replaced maybe a half dozen mirrors in the past. I have never had a problem installing them with the glue on kit. What I would do is follow the directions on the label and then after the small flat piece is attatched to the window let it set for maybe 3 or 4 hours. After that place your mirror on it and you should be good to go.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Any idea how much a glass-shop would charge for this? And what exactly does a glass-shop means?
Find a local non-chain windshield repair/replace location. The charge should be in the range of $20-$30. It only takes a few minutes for them to do.

Quote:
Is it illegal to drive without the rear-view mirror in place? Can I get a ticket for this?
Usually not as long as you have side mirrors. But in this ticket crazy economy at this point, who knows. Just drive safely.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
Now that the metal plate has been removed, should I give the re-mounting kit a shot? I am in DFW, so I guess the temperature will not be a problem in getting the glue to properly harden.

Any idea how much a glass-shop would charge for this? And what exactly does a glass-shop means? Sorry for asking a stupid question but I have been in US for only 1 year now so still learning my way around.

One final question. Is it illegal to drive without the rear-view mirror in place? Can I get a ticket for this?
I'd just take it to an auto glass shop. These are places that specialize in repairing/replacing chipped/broken car windows including windshields. You might want to price around in your area, but I found they charge little more, and sometimes less, than the cost of a re-mounting glue kit.

I don't know if it's illegal to drive without one, but I wouldn't do it any longer than is necessary -- it's one of those things you never realize how much you use it until suddenly you don't have it any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti