Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
I'm sure we all know people who talk to much but how do you handle it? Do you just tune them out (most of the time I do) or what? I'm not someone who is shy and quiet but not a motormouth either. But there are a few people I know that its hard to get in a word when speaking with them. There are times I feel like yelling, "Will you please JUST SHUT UP!"

Example: My mother. She will give you every single little detail on the most mundane things or will tell you things that you already know how to do. For instance, she can't just say there was a rude customer in front of her at the grocery store. She'll tell you just about everything that led up to her being in the grocery store-the time she woke up this morning, how she couldn't find her shoes, etc. Twenty minutes later she'll finally get to the story about the rude customer.

Another example: Best friend. She talks and talks and talks and talks....You get the point. You can't break in to give your opinion or whatnot because she's already on another topic. SHe'll call me up and starts talking about her problems right away with barely asking me how I am doing. Thirty minutes to an hour later, after her lips are starting to turn blue, she ask to see how I'm doing, lol.

Another example: Friend who is almost a narcissist. Everything is about her and how great she is or great people think she is. Talks about herself way too much and again, will have to give you every single little detail about everything.

I love these people but gosh do they get annoying! All I feel like I ever say is "Yeah, uh-huh, ok" etc. I mean occasionally I get a few words in, hehe. There have been times I can put down the phone with these women and go get a drink of water or go to the bathroom AND THEY ARE STILL TALKING!!!

I've always been one that people come to for advice, almost like a therapist with out the great pay. It gets old though. Guess I'm too nice

So people how do deal with the blabbermouths in your lives? I'm curious because I really need to do something about it before I go nuts.
I work with a gal who is just like your mother, she's a fantastic gal, but when she starts talking, it's like will you please get to the story? So, she told us the other day, her mother says to her all the time, TMI....too much information....so, maybe you could start doing this...interrupt them, and tell them nicely, TMI, and of course they'll ask, and then tell them nicely...too much information...I'm falling asleep, get to the story please....? I don't know, just a suggestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 07:46 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Sorry, talkers are getting a bad rap...I personally AM a talker and I hate being around people who DON'T talk; it is so uncomfortable!!!! Come on, there are so many things in the world to discuss and to just sit there denotes BORING loud and clear, IMO....

I have a saying: at some point, all of us will never utter another word, why sit in silence?

Chatters have gotten the bad rap long enough! If you're the quiet type, good for you...but talkers are people too and that we talk a lot is who we are...

A funny side note, my family and friends know me as a talker and on the rare days I'm being quiet, they are all over me :Is there something wrong, why are you so quiet, is everything ok..."

Talkers Unite: we love to talk about anything, nothing or everything at all......
there are talkers who are not good listeners and always bring the converstion back to them...are you capable of listening ?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
there are talkers who are not good listeners and always bring the converstion back to them...are you capable of listening ?

Yes, I am but I know the ones you speak of. I have a few aquaintances that talk endlessly/aimlessly and while they talk, I kiddingly think to myself I probably could start mumbling things like: "my husband left me, I'm quitting my job and joining a cult, I'm in love with your husband etcetcetc" and these people truly wouldn't even hear me becasue they are so caught up in their own tale......these types tend to repeat stories over and over too and I learned to stop them with a "yeah you told me that and how's that going.." so I don't have to suffer through "My SIL Was Mean to Me" TAKE 100.....

I do listen and respond to the other person's comment, observation etc or at least I think I do Guess I should check on that!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I work with a gal who is just like your mother, she's a fantastic gal, but when she starts talking, it's like will you please get to the story? So, she told us the other day, her mother says to her all the time, TMI....too much information....so, maybe you could start doing this...interrupt them, and tell them nicely, TMI, and of course they'll ask, and then tell them nicely...too much information...I'm falling asleep, get to the story please....? I don't know, just a suggestion?
Dear MIL does the same thing and as a young newlywed, I'd think "Alright already, get to the point..."

Now, as the MIL myself, I find myself telling a story and suddently I'm saying "It was Tuesday..no, not Tuesday because I went to the store that day so it had to be Wednesday...yeah Wednesday...wait, no, not Wednesday, I got my hair cut Wednesay so it yeah had to be Thursday, yeah today's Saturday right so yeah it was.............."

Meanwhile, my audience has gone blank....(snoreeeeeee).....and I forgot what I was telling them

You wait, it gets us all after awhile.....

Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,579,727 times
I am SO glad that I am not the only person suffering with this problem! I have THREE people that call me and go on endlessly. No one seems to understand the art of a good conversation. It's all one sided, I can't get a word in edgewise, they may ask a question but never give you a chance to answer and this can go on from 45 minutes to 3 hours, depending on which one that called. It never fails that one will call when there is a special program on TV that I have waited to see for a long time or she will call late at night and want to talk for hours.

I am noticing more and more that some people, when they call will ask a question and hesitate like they are waiting for you to answer, then start talking right over you when you try to answer or make a comment.

The art of a good conversation has been lost! WHAT happened to it?

Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
The art of a good conversation has been lost! WHAT happened to it?
I often wonder the same thing. I enjoy a spirited conversation as long as the content is relevant. What bothers me is that so many "talkers" natter on about the most boring, mundane things. They lack content. I was sitting on the train and was subject to listening to this older woman flap her gums on her cell phone about extreme minutiae, specifically, the brand of sports gel her grandson uses and why, his football coach and doctor recommended it for his knee and blah, blah, blah, for 20 minutes. Does anyone on the planet really care about this?

I'm not a huge talker myself. But I don't mind being around people who talk if they can engage me in something relevant, be it about social or current events, the state of the economy, the writing style of a particular novelist, or anything that transcends the ordinary. I mean, if you have something important to say, say it. But don't prattle.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,926 times
Quote:
Sorry, talkers are getting a bad rap...I personally AM a talker and I hate being around people who DON'T talk; it is so uncomfortable!!!! Come on, there are so many things in the world to discuss and to just sit there denotes BORING loud and clear, IMO....

I have a saying: at some point, all of us will never utter another word, why sit in silence?
Chatters have gotten the bad rap long enough! If you're the quiet type, good for you...but talkers are people too and that we talk a lot is who we are...

A funny side note, my family and friends know me as a talker and on the rare days I'm being quiet, they are all over me :Is there something wrong, why are you so quiet, is everything ok..."

Talkers Unite: we love to talk about anything, nothing or everything at all......
Silence is golden and most blabbermouths are not talking about ANYTHING!.

My MIL is the perfect example. You call this woman and it is blah,blah,blah, same damn stories all the time and the woman taught school for 40 years. She is now retired and will not shut up. I'm almost willing to help her get to a state where she cannot ever talk again! . I also had an acquaintance that used to call me and she was the same way. She stayed focused on herself and talked non-stop. It is one of the rudest things ever. These are the folks on cell-phones 24-7.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
I'm a talker naturally. I frequently entertain, usually enlighten or educate. And sometimes I do it because the person I am sharing that space with is incapable of holding up their end: they may be a mumbler, a whisperer, blocker (hand in front of mouth), or have such horrendous grammar issues, that I just talk to prevent them from speaking.

I am hearing impaired. I will so inform the other person 3 times or more. Then I either walk away or begin talking.

On the otherhand, I have a gift of gab. Family and friends enjoy it for the most part. Can I listen? Absolutely, but will I is the real question. And it depends: Can you speak? Can you communicate? Can you hold up your end? If yes, then yes, I will choose to listen.

As for taking responsibility, for those of you who do not talk, it is time for you to take responsibility for our chattering. Are you willing to put enough energy into communicating: speaking in a clear, moderate speed, good diction, non-whispery voice? If a person says "what" or "Say again" to you more than 3 times, don't look at the other person as having the problem. People with hearing issues cannot hear louder or clearer, but you have the capability of fixing your speech problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinemp View Post
For those of you who talk too much, it may be time for you to take some responsibility for the situation instea of expecting others to put up with your continuing to blab about nothing or things you wish you would not have said.
Quote:

Uniting!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM

664 posts, read 773,862 times
I plain don't put up with it. If I'm talking to someone on the phone like this, I'll either hang up on them or set the phone down and just let them talk to themselves. In person, I'm either walking away or if it's a confined area, telling them to shut the hell up. I can't stand these type of people who talk constantly about ever single little detail.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Silence is golden and most blabbermouths are not talking about ANYTHING!. My MIL is the perfect example. You call this woman and it is blah,blah,blah, same damn stories all the time and the woman taught school for 40 years. She is now retired and will not shut up. I'm almost willing to help her get to a state where she cannot ever talk again! . I also had an acquaintance that used to call me and she was the same way. She stayed focused on herself and talked non-stop. It is one of the rudest things ever. These are the folks on cell-phones 24-7.
I had the same MIL, I think. She and FIL visited me and the ex once, for two weeks. We all went to dinner at a nice restaurant. MIL kept talking and talking, I don't even know about what. She's one of those talkers who runs out of air and takes big deep breaths before she starts talking again. None of the rest of us said anything, we ate our dinner in silence. By the time the check arrived, we'd all finished eating, and she hadn't cut into her food. She literally talked through the entire dinner. I bought a bottle of vodka the next day (and I don't drink) and walled myself up in the study for most of her visit.

It was hellish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships