Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,404,072 times

Advertisements

I'm a talker if I know you. I'm a talker if I have a lot on my mind that I want to share. I'm a talker in the car because it makes everything goes by faster (sometimes slower for those who just wants to sit silently). Otherwise, I know when to shut up and I know when to be a deep thinker. For those who talk a lot? Oh boy. I get drain by them and I just want to be left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,172,003 times
i dont min d people who talk too much as long as they have something to say

Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,321,549 times
Shut the heck up!!!! There, I dealt with them.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,997,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Sorry, talkers are getting a bad rap...I personally AM a talker and I hate being around people who DON'T talk; it is so uncomfortable!!!! Come on, there are so many things in the world to discuss and to just sit there denotes BORING loud and clear, IMO....

I have a saying: at some point, all of us will never utter another word, why sit in silence?

Chatters have gotten the bad rap long enough! If you're the quiet type, good for you...but talkers are people too and that we talk a lot is who we are...

A funny side note, my family and friends know me as a talker and on the rare days I'm being quiet, they are all over me :Is there something wrong, why are you so quiet, is everything ok..."

Talkers Unite: we love to talk about anything, nothing or everything at all......
Absolutely! We only live one life, my not make the most of it & chat it up!!

The same thing happens to me also, when I'm being quiet! Funny thing is, I didn't start talking until I was 3 1/2 years old! Mom sent me to a special school...afraid that I was a mute. Sorry, but my quiet ship has sailed, hehe! It is a rarity on my mom's side for someone to NOT be chatty!

We should have a CD "talkers" convention, LOL!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM

884 posts, read 2,644,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I had the same MIL, I think. She and FIL visited me and the ex once, for two weeks. We all went to dinner at a nice restaurant. MIL kept talking and talking, I don't even know about what. She's one of those talkers who runs out of air and takes big deep breaths before she starts talking again. None of the rest of us said anything, we ate our dinner in silence. By the time the check arrived, we'd all finished eating, and she hadn't cut into her food. She literally talked through the entire dinner. I bought a bottle of vodka the next day (and I don't drink) and walled myself up in the study for most of her visit.

It was hellish.

OMG!
My MIL-if you ever sit in a room with her and try to watch tv or a movie she will talk endlessly throughout the entire program. It is awful. My husband constantly hangs up on her. I don't take her calls and the kids now hang up on her too. It makes so sense for someone to talk so damn much that you have to drink alcohol to deal with them. She even mumbles in her sleep.

I have NO problem talking about varied subjects and speaking clearly but some people REFUSE to let other people speak--period.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,321,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
OMG!
My MIL-if you ever sit in a room with her and try to watch tv or a movie she will talk endlessly throughout the entire program. It is awful. My husband constantly hangs up on her. I don't take her calls and the kids now hang up on her too. It makes so sense for someone to talk so damn much that you have to drink alcohol to deal with them. She even mumbles in her sleep.

I have NO problem talking about varied subjects and speaking clearly but some people REFUSE to let other people speak--period.

Your husband hangs up on his mother and allows his children to do the same? One day you will be the MIL...I hope your children and grandchildren don't treat you the same, but that is the example they have been shown...and the way they have been taught to respect you one day.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,383,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
OMG!
My MIL-if you ever sit in a room with her and try to watch tv or a movie she will talk endlessly throughout the entire program. It is awful. My husband constantly hangs up on her. I don't take her calls and the kids now hang up on her too. It makes so sense for someone to talk so damn much that you have to drink alcohol to deal with them. She even mumbles in her sleep. I have NO problem talking about varied subjects and speaking clearly but some people REFUSE to let other people speak--period.
Ah, so you know the feeling. What I always felt sort of bad about is that ex-MIL talked so much, I tuned her out. So anything really important that she might have been trying to convey bounced off of the same "I hear nothing you are saying" buffer. I really do believe that people who talk to this extreme do have some sort of disorder that needs to be addressed, perhaps with medication. This is what we call in SL therapy having poor pragmatic skills, and it is considered a disorder. Usually, there's a neurological basis for it.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:29 PM

884 posts, read 2,644,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Ah, so you know the feeling. What I always felt sort of bad about is that ex-MIL talked so much, I tuned her out. So anything really important that she might have been trying to convey bounced off of the same "I hear nothing you are saying" buffer. I really do believe that people who talk to this extreme do have some sort of disorder that needs to be addressed, perhaps with medication. This is what we call in SL therapy having poor pragmatic skills, and it is considered a disorder. Usually, there's a neurological basis for it.
It has to be something because she talks in her sleep too!. It's like tourettes on crack!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,311 times
Default Talks too much.

I have a friend who is like that too...he talks NON STOP...about everything in detail...and talks about himself all the time. I cleaned the yard...and it looked good, and it was a good thing..and I I I....yep ... annoying. The best thing is to cut them off...they will not take hints. Even when you say...You already told me that ten times. No, they will laugh, AND KEEP TALKING. I want to say...they are stupid..but the problem is they are not..they are just selfish and taking up your time is not something they even consider as being rude or selfish...so...CUT THEM OFF. Tell them you are busy after you have looked at your watch, listened to the first five minutes and determined that they are going to a. repeat themselves endlessly...b. gravitate to ANYTHING TO DISCUSS..FROM NUTS AND BOLTS TO ANTS..and say...well I have to go now. I have things to do..have a nice day and I hope you find things to do too...
preferably not finding another victim to CONTROL WITH their MOUTH.
Hope this helps.
the cat

Last edited by Beltanescat; 10-18-2010 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: misworded

Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,218 times
I agree. conversation hogs are just boring. I am the one who is always trapped as a good
listener....not wanting to cut in on their non-stop blabbing.....always about themselves.
I have several close relatives who feel they must keep on talking...and talking. It's
exhausting after a short while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships