Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 AM

314 posts, read 625,923 times

Advertisements

I've heard others explain this problem in that it is way easier to destroy than to create. So these abusive types of people who have a long history of abuse and destruction are far lazier and incompetent in relationships with others in comparison to competent and healthy minded people. Abusers take the lazy and easy way out (destroy). To create and develop actually takes talent and work; however, the work is extremely rewarding to healthy people who enjoy relationships. I believe that abusive people do not like relationships; they hate intimacy, feelings, logic, intuition, honest two-way discussions, love, care, etc. They like arguing, yelling, griping, complaining, criticizing, ignoring, and doing other tactics to undermine, ruin, or stifle relationships. Another theory is that in a healthy relationship the both of you develop and get stronger. A selfish, lazy, boorish, and incompetent person doesn't want you to be healthy, strong, and smarter (because that goes against the childish rules of competition); they want only good for themselves not realizing that boorishness and persistent selfishness are the equivalent to falling on your own sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
We also have a Blame the Victim mentality -If something bad happens you then its your fault, and your fault alone.

Was there not that book the Secret, which said that people attracted bad things into their lives by thinking negative.

I think its best to accept the reality of modern life, its very competitive, and to some degree don't want you to be successful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 06:37 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,192 times
Because if they're the kind of person to kick you at all, and they kicked you while you were UP, you might very well kick back -- and the folks who dole out that kind of punishment DON'T like getting even the smallest dose of their own medicine.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I think when we are down anything someone says to us can make us feel like we are being kicked.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:13 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
I've noticed this recently with the endless bashing of the unemployed, as if there has been this huge rash of lazy, good for nothing people over the past four years. Notice that the most high and mighty are those who live very comfortably.

If people see that you are hurting, they do everything in their power to put you down and make you feel like dirt.

Why? I think it is because the ones doing it are self righteous, miserable people who have a mean streak. That's all I can figure.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,954 times
There is a competitive "desperate to see you fail mindset out there" everywhere - where people who are even friendly to your face are wanting you to fail.

You often get others peering into your finances, relationships, if you drink much, work situation hoping for a ***** in your armour - I Feel saying sorry to disappoint you I have a good job, plenty of money, in a stable happy marriage, don't drink much or use drugs, and keep fit, and work hard - So no angles to attack - I am better than you.

When something does happen someone, it makes then feel better about themselves.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I think when we are down anything someone says to us can make us feel like we are being kicked.
^^^This.

I don't think people really kick you any more when you're down than at other times. It's just that when you're down, the kicks do more damage. Sometimes enough damage that it's work cutting ties with the kicker, even though under better circumstances it'd be something to shrug off.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
I am not reading all these other posts, but here's the way I interpreted the OP's question: why do people you thought were your friends abandon you in time of need?

If that is the question, then I understand the OP's hurt and confusion in that in times when I was really in dire need, people that I thought would be there for me were not. It hurt and yes, it was surprizing.

I'm not sure why except to say that I believe that either they ''just don't get it'' or they just don't care OR maybe they are afraid I might ask something of them.

I suspect it's more of the ''don't get it''.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Some "fair weather" friends are really uncomfortable around you when your life is a Country Western song. They just bail. And some others, hang around because they like being with someone whose life is messed up, because it helps them feel better about their screwed up lives.

Some folks are mean. Or stupid. Or both.

I was in a very low point of my life, when my Mother said something incredibly cruel to me. I went jungle on her..and confronted her meaness. She was stunned, because, normally I blow anything she says completely off.

When these people say those things...I suggest asking them why they feel the need to be so cruel. It stops those folks cold.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Some "fair weather" friends are really uncomfortable around you when your life is a Country Western song. They just bail. And some others, hang around because they like being with someone whose life is messed up, because it helps them feel better about their screwed up lives.

Some folks are mean. Or stupid. Or both.

I was in a very low point of my life, when my Mother said something incredibly cruel to me. I went jungle on her..and confronted her meaness. She was stunned, because, normally I blow anything she says completely off.

When these people say those things...I suggest asking them why they feel the need to be so cruel. It stops those folks cold.

it could be they know its a low point in your life, and throwing some pent up salt (which isnt right)
or, most likely, (and this doesnt make sense either) it has happened to them-misery loves company

"Some folks are just mean or stupid" or both.....this should be a bumper sticker!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,611 times
My experience is with a sibling who when someone stole my car after our mom died actually blamed me for know ing the neighborhood person who stole it. That's on of fifty examples of her mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships