Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,119 times

Advertisements

Quite frequently I feel sad and disappointed I haven't found anyone in my life who seems to fully understand me. I tend to have a unique point of view compared to most people. When I talk people about them they just don't seem to understand where I am coming from. I don't have anyone I can easily talk to about my secret thoughts without causing trouble. I really do wish to find someone who understand my viewpoints and with whom I can openly talk about anything!

Recently actually I have make quite few new friends and reconnected with some distant family members. I actually have been hanging out with my friends often. However, even at when I am with them at bar I sometimes feel alone since they don't seem to understand me. I get the same feeling when eating dinner with my family once in awhile.

I wonder if I will ever find someone understanding who I can honestly talk with about any topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,991 times
Hey, it's ok. You're never alone because God is always there when you need Him. I'm sure He'll bring someone who will understand you. Believe me, I know what it's like to look at things from a different POV.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,506 times
I'm pretty different myself and I've gotten to a point where I don't care if people don't understand me. Most people don't understand each other anyways. its just how life is.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:29 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,660 times
Takes guts to admit what you just did. All of us at one time or another feel like we are on the outside, alone. The key is not to stay there. I use forums like this quite often to get out things that bug me. Things I know that my wife won't understand, or will be of no help in figuring out.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:19 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
I think it is more important to understand than to be understood.

What are you doing to make others feel good about themselves or to open up about their own thoughts and ideas?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:26 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think it is more important to understand than to be understood.

What are you doing to make others feel good about themselves or to open up about their own thoughts and ideas?
Excellent point. And the honest truth right there.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:39 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I don't have anyone I can easily talk to about my secret thoughts without causing trouble. I really do wish to find someone who understand my viewpoints and with whom I can openly talk about anything!
It sounds like the OP needs other people more than they need the OP. The reason why this causes problems is because this relationship would be more take than give on the OPs side.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:40 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Quite frequently I feel sad and disappointed I haven't found anyone in my life who seems to fully understand me. I tend to have a unique point of view compared to most people. When I talk people about them they just don't seem to understand where I am coming from. I don't have anyone I can easily talk to about my secret thoughts without causing trouble. I really do wish to find someone who understand my viewpoints and with whom I can openly talk about anything!

Recently actually I have make quite few new friends and reconnected with some distant family members. I actually have been hanging out with my friends often. However, even at when I am with them at bar I sometimes feel alone since they don't seem to understand me. I get the same feeling when eating dinner with my family once in awhile.

I wonder if I will ever find someone understanding who I can honestly talk with about any topic.
You are not alone. I tend to freak people out when I am honest about how I feel on certain topics.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:38 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
I understand how you feel. I often say things that are "off the wall" and no one else in the room understands. My family doesn't even "get it". It used to make me afraid to even say anything in fear of saying something stupid. I am slowly getting over this, as a lot of this is fear of what other people think...at least for me.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:07 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,657 times
I'll approach this from another angle.

Have you suffered a big loss? If so, that could be a big reason you feel so disconnected from others. I lost my parents, sister and brother when I was in my 30's and my outlook on life was totally different than my friends. My friends just didn't have the same life experiences that I had, therefore we just couldn't connect like we once did. We were at different life stages.

Hope you find the support that you need soon. For me I found that if I looked around I could always find something to be thankful for. Granted this wasn't an easy task and it took a lot of soul searaching on my part to get to that point but once I did I started to feel so much better.

By the way some of my best support/kindness at that time came from complete stangers and casual acquaintances. You may just be overlooking a potential friendship.

Last edited by Larksong; 05-25-2011 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships