Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 PM

108 posts, read 181,926 times

Advertisements

Sometimes, I feel like I don't have very many friends. I have to initiate almost everything; and it's not like they'll always respond if I do send something. The only time I really get invited to stuff is if it's some large Facebook event where someone decides to invite everyone in the extended group of friends. I feel like if I were to drop off the face of the planet for a while, only one or two people would really notice. I guess my closer friends care. If I see them in person and we haven't chatted in a while, they'll check in to make sure I'm okay. They're also usually willing to talk if I need to. But, I've toned it down a bit because I noticed that they were getting fed up with it.

I just have absolutely nothing to do during the day since school is out for the summer. I don't want to be imposing and always ask people if they want to do something.

What am I supposed to do to make people want to hang out with me & talk to me more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 03:13 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Hey, you must be my long-lost twin, because our lives are pretty much alike.

Can you take some summer classes at your local CC? Not necessarily to meet people (let's be real, that almost never happens) but just to give yourself something to do, something to occupy your mind.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Money's a bit tight right now, but that is an option.

I've also thought about going to a bunch of stores around my house and asking them if I could get a job application.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
If you do not mind me asking, how old are you? Are you in a new area? Are you looking to revive your old fading friendships, start new ones or both? Sorry, just would like to know whats up before offering any possible advice.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
If you do not mind me asking, how old are you? Are you in a new area? Are you looking to revive your old fading friendships, start new ones or both? Sorry, just would like to know whats up before offering any possible advice.
20. Turning 21 next week.

Nope, I've lived in this area my entire life.

Hmm, I wouldn't say they are fading friendships. I would talk to them a lot during the school year, but that was primarily because we were in the same club, lived very close to one another, would run into each other on campus, etc. I would often talk to them online as well (FB chat or the likes), but none of them seem to really be online this summer. I feel kind of weird always initiating things as well.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:40 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzio1 View Post
Money's a bit tight right now, but that is an option.

I've also thought about going to a bunch of stores around my house and asking them if I could get a job application.
Go for it man. I'd probably be insane or have a pack-a-day habit if I wasn't occupying my time with school.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:08 PM

454 posts, read 596,625 times
Quote:
Sometimes, I feel like I don't have very many friends. I have to initiate almost everything; and it's not like they'll always respond if I do send something. The only time I really get invited to stuff is if it's some large Facebook event where someone decides to invite everyone in the extended group of friends. I feel like if I were to drop off the face of the planet for a while, only one or two people would really notice. I guess my closer friends care. If I see them in person and we haven't chatted in a while, they'll check in to make sure I'm okay. They're also usually willing to talk if I need to. But, I've toned it down a bit because I noticed that they were getting fed up with it.

I just have absolutely nothing to do during the day since school is out for the summer. I don't want to be imposing and always ask people if they want to do something.

What am I supposed to do to make people want to hang out with me & talk to me more?
I used to be like that too, I recommend you find some new friends with common interests as you.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:10 PM

[quote=Enzio1;19648590]20. Turning 21 next week.

Hmm, I wouldn't say they are fading friendships. I would talk to them a lot during the school year, but that was primarily because we were in the same club, lived very close to one another, would run into each other on campus, etc. I would often talk to them online as well (FB chat or the likes), but none of them seem to really be online this summer. I feel kind of weird always initiating things as well.[/quote

Sounds like a fading friendship to me if you are the one who always has to beg for company

Old 06-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisweetheart View Post
Quote:
20. Turning 21 next week.

Hmm, I wouldn't say they are fading friendships. I would talk to them a lot during the school year, but that was primarily because we were in the same club, lived very close to one another, would run into each other on campus, etc. I would often talk to them online as well (FB chat or the likes), but none of them seem to really be online this summer. I feel kind of weird always initiating things as well.
Sounds like a fading friendship to me if you are the one who always has to beg for company
Really? Even if I hung out with most of them throughout the school year quite often, and the school year just ended a couple weeks ago? (granted, I was still the one initiating.... or tagging along at times)

Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Really? Even if I hung out with most of them throughout the school year quite often, and the school year just ended a couple weeks ago? (granted, I was still the one initiating.... or tagging along at times)
Yep, that is the sign of a drifting friendship you should have to be tagging along or initiating all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships