Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 05:37 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,125 times

Advertisements

So I was studying Graphic Design in a trade school and I completed the course earlier this year. I am now in a Printing program to to learn more about the trade. It's in the same school that I took the Computer Graphics course.

Here's my problem. In the GD course, I dealt with alot of backstabbing idiots, all people I got along with initially and wanted to become friends with. It was 2 years ago when I started the Design course and when I started getting along with everyone there, I thought to myself that my life as a sad loner with no friends will finally be OVER!!!! I'm going to make friends and go out with them, party and meet their friends and maybe even get a girlfriend along the way! And I had just turned 18. Great timing for this to happen as I had just become a legal adult (here in Canada).

But this simple dream I had was too good to be true. A few months later, these people who I had wanted to be friends with start treating me like crap, disrespecting me, picking on me for ••••ed up lame high-school reasons. These people were like little kids with how they picked on me. I tried for the rest of the course to fix things with them and meet other people outside the course, with no success.

I just couldn't freakin believe it. I thought it was finally going to be over and get my simple dream social life. I just can't believe that 2 years later I'm back where I started, feeling even worse because of what happened, especially one EXTREME EFFED UP IDIOT S.O.B. who seriously got on my last nerve. I still think of him today would and just adore murdering him.

So anyway, now I'm in the Printing course and getting along with these new people I met there. Hope things work out better with them. I really want them to replace the old guys I have in my head from the last course. Everytime I enter the school I think of the old group/program I was in and it hurts me really bad. I want to think of the new course and new people and try not to think of those backstabbers.

I'm 20 years and I am seriously fed up of this nonsense. You guys who have been socializing for a long time may find this sounds weird, but a social life with people in or around my age group is a dream for me. Do you guys have any advice or tips on how we can become friends a little faster? Maybe just in time for the holidays so I can get invited to a Christmas or New Years Eve party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Forget about the past and don't carry around negative feelings, it gives off a bad vibe.

Be a good listener.

I know this isn't what you want to hear...Getting caught up in backstabbing means you chose the wrong people to confide in or entertained it in someway.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,314 times
Well for starters saying something like "I still think of him today and just adore murdering him." doesnt scream hey befriend this lad. Anyway, my only suggestions is that you dont take things so serious. Try to have fun with this new group of classmates (notice i didnt say friends) and see how it turns out.

good luck

Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Forget about the past and don't carry around negative feelings, it gives off a bad vibe.

Be a good listener.

I know this isn't what you want to hear...Getting caught up in backstabbing means you chose the wrong people to confide in or entertained it in someway.
What you mean by entertained it in? What does that mean??

Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Are you able to communicate your boundaries without appearing defensive?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Are you able to communicate your boundaries without appearing defensive?
Sorry, this too. I have no idea what this means. What are you asking?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
What you mean by entertained it in? What does that mean??
Contributing to, or starting converstions about others that can get twisted and retold in a way that makes you look like the bad guy.

I wouldn't limit friendships to school...In order to make friends you have to put yourself out there. Some people click right away but freindships develop over time. I'm sure you must have some interests. Sports teams, book clubs, working out.

The forum literally has a hundred topics you can post in. Its a good way to discuss topics of interest or state and build your skills in conversation. When you have something to talk about and share other people will listen.

Being a good friend doesn't mean you let people walk all over you either, have some boundaries.

I read your post in W&E..do you see how you left yourself wide open there...don't be so trusting.

Last edited by virgode; 11-16-2011 at 08:49 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Contributing to, or starting converstions about others that can get twisted and retold in a way that makes you look like the bad guy.
No, not at all.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
No, not at all.
I just added to my post.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:37 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
It sounds like you are placing too much value in having friends and in not being a loner, as if this is your way of measuring your self-worth.

You are going to have a lot of passing acquaintances in the long life ahead of you, but you are always going to have yourself. So I would suggest you be happy with yourself and enjoy people when they are a part of your life and let go of them when they no longer want to be a part of your life.

You can't force friendships. If they don't invite you to their parties...no big deal. Find something else you enjoy doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships