Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:34 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,601,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
situation 1-

I run from discussing the "big 3" (religion, politics, and money) since having a difference of an opinion from a friend could end a friendship.
You should stick with your creed, I have found there are certain people you just cannot discuss issues. Those types really just want to ram their opinions down your throat, and really are looking more for an audience than an exchange of ideals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 04:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,154,551 times
There's an old saying: Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

You need to keep this one VERY close. As for visiting you in Hawaii and expecting to bring another person to share your hospitality without your consent? Oh hell no. It's very generous of you to allow someone to stay with you and save themselves the cost of a hotel, not to mention that you know they will enjoy your coffee, tea, etc. But that someone doesn't get to share your generosity with anyone else without you either agreeing to it or rolling over and playing doormat.

As for the friend of your supposed friend, why on earth would you want to meet someone who is already trying to cause a problem between the two of you? Keep your eye on that one but your friend "Vicky" isn't your friend.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,331,159 times
Nite Ryder....surely you don't equate your friend being a "cheapest cheat skate" with having anything to do with being in a union???

Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,295,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and also entitled to say what their opinion is. If your friend can't handle your opinion, then maybe it is time to find another friend. I have found that the better you know someone the more likely it is you will see things in that person you may not like. I have a friend who has always worked at a union job, so he loves the idea of anything to do with a union. I have owned my own company for 31 years, and the union is the last thing I would want involved with my business. The union has forced me to raise my own wages on certain jobs, making it harder to compete with out of town businesses. I do not like unions or anything they stand for. Mt friend who is the union lover is one of the cheapest cheap skates I've ever been around, no tips to waitresses, etc. I hate that about him. Enough of these things and it will ruin our friendship. Usually I overlook differences of opinion, but sometimes you can't. BTW, I'm against illegal immigration. If they want to live here, they need to follow the laws and do it legally.

Case in point: Nite and I don't agree on much politically, but I think he's just the bee's knees.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,846,444 times
Quote:
situation 1-

I run from discussing the "big 3" (religion, politics, and money) since having a difference of an opinion from a friend could end a friendship.

I saw a friend of mine tonight who brought up how a year ago that she was about to end her friendship with me after I shared my opinion while she had me and a few of her friends over for dessert and conversation.

I AVOID those topics and NEVER, EVER bring them up for discussion however, if someone chooses to bring it up I typically will share my opinion as well (from time to time).
I agree with those who say dump this "friend". She's not a friend at all. She wants to browbeat a little following that agrees with anything she says and that is not at all what a friend does.

You did nothing wrong, you didn't bring up any topic, she did, but then she expected total agreement. That should tell you something about her character, life is too short to waste on dictators who think they can tell you how you must think.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:40 AM

19,779 posts, read 20,373,417 times
Quote:

I actually didn't realize until a few days ago that my friends LOVES Sarah Palin (I'm not kidding...)

Eeeeeeeeeeew!!!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,623,962 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I will phase out the relationship. I actually feel bad about this one because as ridiculous as I felt she was, she actually is a friend that has always been there when I needed her and has always given me good advice (better than everyone else that I know).
Phase the friendship out bc thats what you want, not bc posters have recommended to dump her.

Believing friends will always agree on every topic is unrealistic, so she is putting to much value on her own opinions.

If you're there for each other then forget about the nonsense debates. Perhaps when she in a better frame of mind and not on the defensive you can approach the subject and tell her the difference of opinion on politics isn't important. In the future stick to avoiding touchy subject matter.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:43 AM

30,914 posts, read 37,080,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

Seriously. She needs to realize that the whole world doesn't have to agree with her.

You need to summon the self-respect to get rid of her, not only because of her churlish and childish attitude toward discussion, but because she badmouths you to her other friends and then has the audacity to tell you their nasty responses to her portrayal of you.

Who does any of this? People who are 15 and want attention. All of you need to grow up.

Too true

Drama llama. I LOVE it .

Old 12-27-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Nite Ryder....surely you don't equate your friend being a "cheapest cheat skate" with having anything to do with being in a union???
I think he was trying to point out the hypocrisy of being a pro-union, pro-worker kind of person, yet being a cheap tipper. A lot of people don't practice the values they preach.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I hear you Nito. I actually am a HUGE union supporter (my father's family actually helped start one of the first unions in New York due to crap conditions sorry to say this to you LOL), but I understand and can respect people that don't.

I just was disappointed in that she feels I'm wrong to share an opinion unless it is the same as hers. You never know who would stop being friends with you have a conversation like this so I would rather just avoid them LOL.

I actually didn't realize until a few days ago that my friends LOVES Sarah Palin (I'm not kidding...) and she actually ADMIRES that she enjoys killing wolves. My friend stated that she would like to hunt for food (which is one thing), AND sport. I completely was disgusted by this but changed the conversation to avoid having a debate with her since I know how she is....
This friend of yours sounds like she's got some issues. Like Sarah Palin but thinks illegal immigration is A-ok? (Correct me if I'm wrong, but somehow I don't think Palin is ok with illegal immigration.) She sounds a bit odd in more ways than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships