Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,539,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
just curious...has anyone broken a long friendship? What brought you to that decision? Did you regret it later on?
I have done this with a friend, and sometimes wonder if it was irrational or should I have just got over our diffference. In the end, she idd something that really hurt my feelings, said she was sorry that my feeling were hurt but still didn't agree that I should have been hurt by what she had done. I just felt she was not the person I thought she was, she took advantage of me in a big way. We were friends for 10 yrs and I just broke off all contact with her.
Anyone else been through this?
sure have. if its business and its a trusted rep (who has become a friend), if they are consistently shortchanging you (in this case big time) no matter how much i likem
your fired.
having the guts to do this has made all the difference
the french call this tiene tete
(holding your ground)
the basic rule is
as long as you are willing to take it
they are willing to dish it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 08:28 AM

28,972 posts, read 30,346,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
You and I can hold our heads high and know that we are good and honest friends, something our ex-friends can't do. And honestly, I don't know if I would be the same person I am today if that hadn't happened to me. It taught me a lot, and in a wierd round-a-bout way, brought me to a place where I could find a guy who was right for me. Had I ended up with that ex-boyfriend, I would have a miserable life right now. We were so wrong for each other!
there ya go....and we're all better for it...just look at how we've touched each others lives right here in CD...maybe if you had ened up with him, we today, wouldn't even know sbd78 and that would be a loss, a big one...
You've made me very happy today...thank you

Creme

Old 11-09-2007, 08:30 AM

788 posts, read 2,113,451 times
as long as you are willing to take it
they are willing to dish it out.[/quote]

those are words to live by Bunky

Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 AM

28,972 posts, read 30,346,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
I haven't had time to read through all of the posts, but when I saw the original question, my heart stopped. Several years ago (6) I had an odd tiff with my best friend of around 10 years - we didn't communicate for a couple of months - and then we 'made up'. A few months later I found that during that time, when she had been upset with me, she initiated an email dialogue with my husband and these emails went on and on about me, just horrible stuff. They did end with her saying she was feeling very jealous of me, and she wrote a poem:

poor thing
new husband
new baby
new house (mansion really)
what a life.

It was a relief to say that maybe all of the horrible things she was saying had to do with jealousy. But it was one of the worst things anyone has ever done to me ever. I dropped her and have never been the same since. (I'm glad I dropped her, but the feelings of betrayal ...).
this was unfortunate, and the betrayal, well, simply put, cannot be described in words...it is deep and painful...but...this woman, who did this to you, was a very unstable woman...and this situation, is beyond the norm....

I hope since then....you have healed....

hugs
Creme

Old 11-09-2007, 09:59 AM

369 posts, read 1,962,455 times
Default Dumpee, here

I was dumped by my best friend without warning, explanation or further conversation. We had been friends since high school, went to college togther, and she was the godmother to my oldest daughter. She stopped calling, would not return my calls, and never answered any of the notes I sent. I finally had to let it go because I felt like a stalker. It was 4 years ago, and it still bothers me to this day when I think about it. I have wracked my brain trying to think of something I said or did that would be so awful that she would cut me off like that, and honestly, I can think of nothing. We never fought, ever. I like to believe that because she got married, shortly before our friendship ended, he just took a dislike to me, and that was that. I wish she had had the courtesy to at least send me a note, if only to put me out of my misery! Ah well, I miss her, but maybe it's just that I miss my youth, which she was such big a part of.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:12 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,184,620 times
I was dumped by two friends, both for different reasons.

One friend, whom I was friends with for over 10 years, decided to end our friendship because I left the religion we both were in. I knew and understood this would happen one day so I was prepared. I know this is an odd situation but some religious people are like that.

Another friend decided to end our friendship because she felt we were going on different paths and didn't feel I was contributing to our friendship. I was ok with this, a little shocked mind you, but still ok with this. I knew there were a few kinks and tiffs thrown in our friendship for awhile so it seemed better for us to part on friendly terms.

The way I look at it, some times you find friends whom are meant to be there all your life, sometimes not. I am now in my early 30s and am just fine with the amount of friends I have. I don't think I need anymore personally but you just never know.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:42 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,867,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
just curious...has anyone broken a long friendship? What brought you to that decision? Did you regret it later on?
I have done this with a friend, and sometimes wonder if it was irrational or should I have just got over our diffference. In the end, she idd something that really hurt my feelings, said she was sorry that my feeling were hurt but still didn't agree that I should have been hurt by what she had done. I just felt she was not the person I thought she was, she took advantage of me in a big way. We were friends for 10 yrs and I just broke off all contact with her.
Anyone else been through this?

I actually have a similar story...........A good friendship of mine for about 10 years has come to an end. It got to the point towards the end when we hung out that it felt awkward and forced. We did not really have too much in common anymore. She had met a group of other friends and I seemed to not fit into her life anymore. I was a bridesmaid in her wedding this past Oct. and I felt that she either asked me because she needed a 7th girl or she felt like she had to. I would have been just fine being an attendent instead of being in the bridal party. At all of the pre-wedding events she pretty much just hung out with the girls she is closest to now and ignored me. I understand that we grew apart and the dynamics of our friendship had changed but I would have rather not been put in an awkward situation by being in the wedding.

After all of the wedding events I had gone to, not to mention money spent, she did not even come to a goodbye dinner for my Fiance and I (We are relocating out of state) and she had some lame excuse why she could not come. After that, I just pretty much stopped all contact with her. I know it may seem like a petty situation to some but it still hurt me very much. Well, I am just excited about my Fiance and I starting a new life for ourselves and I am thankful for the true friends that I do have in my life -so, so far no regrets!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:16 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,777,761 times
The weird thing about my situation is that this person was a very good friend up until she hurt me. I didn't see it coming, what she did shocked me beyond belief. There were others involved in this and I could not beleive they would put so little value in my feelings on the whole thing. (Which was described on page 2 of this thread.) Not only did I feel like I was taken advantage of in a BIG way, I WAS taken advantage of.
She was my closest friend, I have replaced that void with concentratiing on my family, who I don't see as often as I should. Somewhere down the road, I will find a true friend again.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:04 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,675,155 times
I've never broken a longterm friendship. Ever. I have three people that I consider to be my good friends, and they are all upstanding people.

I have a few less savory characters in my life, and even though it is painful to witness their self-destructive tendencies, and even though they do not listen to me when I point out the beginning warning signs of their habits... and even though it hurts me to see some of it... Well, they are friends. I can't say what exactly resonates within me concerning this witnessing of events, but it holds true that a friend is there to see it all. No matter what, the calls at 3am by drugged-up friends or the out-of-control relationships... A friend is always there.

On the other hand, in no way could I date someone like this. I just couldn't do that, and I think that physical and emotional intimacy are painful but perfectly legitimate things to end in relationships that contain one self-abusive person.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:10 AM

631 posts, read 2,448,712 times
I had a bestfriend dump me. She became resentful and jealous of me for an unknown reason. This was over 20 years ago, and I was still hurt over it. We were the best of friends, I thought.

I found her on people search a few months ago, tracked her down and sent her an email. She was the same, all about her. She never asked if I had kids, was married, what I did for a living, nothing. We did talk briefly on the phone one day and promised to meet.

You know? I SELDOM ever think of her anymore. The pain is gone. I"m not even sure
I want to make the drive to meet her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships