Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:12 PM

318 posts, read 566,709 times

Advertisements

My best opposite sex friend and I don't have anything in common anymore and I really don't like her. If the two of us met today we would not give each other the time of day. We don't have any chemistry anymore.

But she keeps pushing for more contact than I want and if it were up to me she would just disappear from my life. She is so 20th Century! I have moved on.

Like my namesake Mr. Spock, I need to be logical about this.

Please, don't suggest the passive aggressive approach of telling her I am busy. (I am not) There has to be a better way. What did you do when you wanted to end a long term close friendship that your friend wanted to continue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Sleep with her.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Make contact with her again, in person, and then do everything that you know she hates..be abnoxious, rude, loud, and fart a lot...embarrass her so she won't want to be seen with you again.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,586 times
Say, "I don't have anything in common with you anymore and I don't want to talk or be friends anymore." It's to the point, gets the message across, and takes no one's feelings into consideration.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
[quote=Mr Spock;28619840] She is so 20th Century!/quote]

What exactly does this mean?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
My best opposite sex friend and I don't have anything in common anymore and I really don't like her. If the two of us met today we would not give each other the time of day. We don't have any chemistry anymore.

But she keeps pushing for more contact than I want and if it were up to me she would just disappear from my life. She is so 20th Century! I have moved on.

Like my namesake Mr. Spock, I need to be logical about this.

Please, don't suggest the passive aggressive approach of telling her I am busy. (I am not) There has to be a better way. What did you do when you wanted to end a long term close friendship that your friend wanted to continue?
I told the truth. I tried not to be cruel or offensive but just said we seemed to have outgrown each other and had nothing in common any more. Sometimes friendships just die of old age.

Whatever you do, be firm but respectful of her feelings.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:13 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
Take her to lunch, explain your feelings and be prepared for an angry ex-friend.

I'm not sure you can end something like this abruptly, thus her attempts to revive your relationship. She's not on the same page. That's why most people try to reduce contact and gradually fib themselves out of certain social obligations... Much more logical if you dislike resentment and hurt feelings.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM

100 posts, read 269,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
But she keeps pushing for more contact than I want
Maybe she is just lonely, misses your company, or is still hanging on to the way things used to be?

Regardless, if you do not like her anymore then you will be doing both of you a great disservice by attempting to continue the friendship. Before talking to her maybe brainstorm and write down reasons why you do not like her anymore. Maybe you might even discover that she displays behaviors or mannerisms that you might have yourself but are unaware of but do not like or that you hope very much you will never have. I went through years and years of reaching a point where I no longer enjoyed my friends for a variety of excuses/reasons and many times it was because they did stuff that I found not to my liking, only years and many friends later to find out that I myself had some of those same traits but they were hidden or suppressed. This is not necessarily always the case but since this person is your good friend, you at least owe it to them to do some of your own soul searching and try and find out what it is about them that is really bothering you.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Send her a link to this thread.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
Wow. I hope someone you really care about doesn't do this to you some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships