Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:41 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,034,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I hate fungus.
Funny thing, I'm personally one of those people that think so many fungi look ugly. I don't really "hate" them, as life-forms, at an intellectual level, but I get a gut reaction that resembles what is described in the OP's post, as opposed to plants, such as even pest weeds (I've worked with plants before as well as gardening jobs). Green plants look so much more aesthetically pleasing to me. Aside from harmful fungi like molds and things that can cause diseases to humans, I know how beneficial fungi are for recycling/decomposing materials in nature, but I disliked how they look visually, which is kind of irrational.

I didn't like the way they are on damp rotting wood as well, and their association with dark, moist places.

For instance, when I was a kid, I often saw the shaggy mane mushroom like this one in the pic, pop up on the ground when it wasn't there a day or two before, which I notice appears sometimes in the autumn on lawns and parks, and disliked touching or getting close to strange mushrooms or touching them with my shoes etc. It was kind of stupid -- I'm not really like that now, but your simple one-line post reminded me of that!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,415,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
In real life, skin color and beauty do go hand and hand. The lighter a woman is the more prettier she is perceived by society, she will receive better treatment, and fit in socially with most of her peers. This is what I've heard all of my life and witnessed.

The female friend who is black & british is she biracial or just a Black British woman?
She's not biracial - she is very dark skinned and 10/10 beautiful. She has had boyfriends of different ethnicities and with them, her skin colour was never an issue.

All I can say is that I'm sorry that society has made you feel that way, but have your ever considered that some women might be jealous of you?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,131,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
She's not biracial - she is very dark skinned and 10/10 beautiful. She has had boyfriends of different ethnicities and with them, her skin colour was never an issue.

All I can say is that I'm sorry that society has made you feel that way, but have your ever considered that some women might be jealous of you?
It comes from both genders. Lighterskinned women are always complimented more on what they wear or their makeup--probably because it shows up more on lighter skin. They get a lot more validation and affirmation for their looks.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:46 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,289,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It comes from both genders. Lighterskinned women are always complimented more on what they wear or their makeup--probably because it shows up more on lighter skin. They get a lot more validation and affirmation for their looks.

Where I live, one has exactly zero to do with the other. Beauty has no colour. A beautiful black woman will be fawned on just as much as a beautiful white woman, if not more because she's viewed as exotic.

People are not automatically more attractive if their skin is lighter because there is so much more (to a thinking adult) that goes into attraction, however you do have a point because in blind tests, black toddlers prefer white dolls over black dolls. It seems it is programmed into ALL of us to prefer lighter skin at some level.

Having said this, you obviously don't know many Germans or Austrians...they are certainly NOT more physically beautiful just because they are fair.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:48 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,356,246 times
Friendly reminder, folks - the thread is about attractiveness or lack thereof, not race. Please limit comments to the subject at hand so that the conversation can continue.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,008,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As in most people are quicker to hate ugly people?

I believe this to be the case. Although we hear a lot of people bitching (out of jealousy) about good looking people, when it comes down to it, people will flock to people whom they think have power/influence over others. Good looks are of course a form of power (as is physical strength, athleticism, money or a fancy title).

But, as mean as this may sound, I think it may also have to do with aesthetics. People are repulsed by physical ugliness, like it or not, so they already receive an ugly person with a somewhat negative attitude. So if the ugly person says or does something they don't like, even if it's minor, this effect will be magnified. Kind of like how we hate those ugly looking monsters in horror movies. If the person is good looking, however, we tend to be more forgiving. Since even if they do something wrong their being aesthetically pleasing 'soothes' the feelings of hostility toward them.

I could get on my high-horse and say that I treat everyone equal, but I recognise I sometimes react this way and try to minimise it as best I can. Of course I never consciously treat better looking people better - okay, I admit it, if I think I have any chance with an attractive female I might be inclined to be nicer than usual - but it's something I notice.

For instance, if a fat, ugly woman says something mean to you, vs someone who is slightly attractive, you're often likely to call the first woman a 'fat ugly *****', instead of just 'a *****.' You'll associate the negative qualities of her appearance with the negative way she treated you, doubly villifying her.

Sadly, I'm with you on this one. Generally I'm nice to everyone .. but I do admit I'm probably harder on uglier people and more lenient on good looking people. I think that's a pretty typical human trait though.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:17 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,131,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Sadly, I'm with you on this one. Generally I'm nice to everyone .. but I do admit I'm probably harder on uglier people and more lenient on good looking people. I think that's a pretty typical human trait though.
No, its not a typical human trait. why are you harder on uglier people you think its their fault they look the way they do?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:05 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,411,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've seen this first hand on multiple occasions. Pretty people (customers, potential hires etc.) were ALWAYS treated better than less attractive people. At the last place I worked, we were interviewing for a new position and people would come in to drop of resumes and whatnot often. Since it was a closed facility, they always had to be 'let in' by me or my boss so I got to meet every one of them. The unattractive people would be given a handshake, a quick overview and a 'we'll call you if we're interested'. The attractive people, on the other hand, got full tours, interviews right away and usually the CEO or other managers would be involved.

At first I thought it was because they had a better resume...but after a cute blonde got a full facility tour and the attention of all three of my managers I took a quick look at her resume and she didn't have ANY of the basic requirements to be considered.

So yes, in my experience attractive people are treated better and offered more opportunities than unattractive people.
I wonder if it depends on your focus of career. I'm not attractive and my focus is more on Education, but I'm not a teacher either. My resume is slowly building up and most of my experiences are no more than a year, but I got hired for both jobs despite my looks. I am passionate about working with children and students, so I guess that's why I got hired in the first place?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:10 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,550,045 times
No.
I find it easier to hate non-ugly people, because you don't have to feel guilty bc they're ugly.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,997,311 times
Define ugly.

I'm not referring to people with yellow/green teeth and you gag when you see them. Nor people with dripping oily hair that needs a good shampoo. Or people that don't ever take a bath and smell really bad.

I realize what you are saying, my boss man hired a stacked blonde while I was on vacation ... I did the hiring and firing. When I returned I realized we had an airhead. She knew nothing about a computer, even turning it on was difficult. She couldn't type and even spell check couldn't figure out what she was trying to spell. She was a sweet girl, not a flirt, really wanted the job.

Then out of the blue she got a phone call and panicked ... her ex was released from prison and was looking for her. She left for lunch and never returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships