Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the homo sapiens breeding programme be successful at the alien zoo?
Yes 9 37.50%
No 9 37.50%
Unsure 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,986,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would you say it's only natural they would be at least somewhat attracted to each other and mate? I mean it's nature, right?

Despite the layers of philosophizing, socialization, culture and whatnot we're still basically animals with basic urges.

Of course, it depends a lot on the species, but I think in our species, if a male and a female get together there's a pretty good chance they will form a pair bond.

Let's say the average Joe and the average Jane - both average in every way, except they're a little better looking than the average, were kidnapped by aliens and put in a zoo to be displayed and also to breed. Do you think they are bound to probably grow to like each other?

In a real world situation, how many relationships begin like this?

Many marriages throughout history have been arranged...with the two parties not even KNOWING each other prior to the meeting. Even non-arranged relationships can have an air of this, say if the two people get together out of convenience and grow to love each other.

Of course they could easily grow to HATE each other, but what I'm asking is whether it's natural to eventually cave in and get on with it for the species, and whether that includes the development of romantic feelings or just physical.
Sometimes too many choices overwhelms and we overlook what would make us happiest. I agree that there could be some benefit to arranged marriages and think societies and cultures that do that have a basis in doing so. I do think that two similar people could grow to love each other. I think it happens, a lot, like in circles of friends and what not. I think that even if two people sort of grew to hate each other or already did and were trapped together, they would bond, at least sexually, even if they played the hate game all the rest of the time. If I was in your zoo scenario, I think the bonding would happen immediately from being alone together, comforting one another from being in distress, and would likely turn romantic and sexual quickly - unless at least at first one of us already had a SO, then it may take while to happen like until we just realize we're really stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:58 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,747,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Yes, it will happen, if the two people are attracted to each other.

And even if they aren't terribly attracted to each other, if you put a male and a female on a deserted island together, they're probably still going to mate at least once.
That even happens with dudes in prison.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,093,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That even happens with dudes in prison.
Haha touche!

Although sometimes the relationships aren't quite, erm, consensual lol.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,093,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I don't see the problem. You can always just ignore his posts.

I find it difficult to go out too for various reasons. I don't post here as much, but honestly, if it weren't for the internet, I would have lost my mind long ago. At least he posts interesting and thought pricking topics, rather than some of the nonsensical rubbish I see posted here all the time by other "regulars".

It's also much harder to make friends than it used to be. Don't blame Tri, blame the crappy-ass, selfish, materialistic "you must bring something to the table" society we live in.
Thanks mate. I know I have an addiction. This week I have cut down a little bit, thankfully, but like you say sometimes getting out there and meeting new people is easier said than done.

The other day I went to a concert and tried to strike something up with someone and felt I got the cold shoulder.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:23 AM

37,638 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Quote:

I find it difficult to go out too for various reasons. I don't post here as much, but honestly, if it weren't for the internet, I would have lost my mind long ago. At least he posts interesting and thought pricking topics, rather than some of the nonsensical rubbish I see posted here all the time by other "regulars".

It's also much harder to make friends than it used to be. Don't blame Tri, blame the crappy-ass, selfish, materialistic "you must bring something to the table" society we live in.
I certainly could. Most threads here I DO ignore...I have no time to be concerned with the inane rubbish that makes up most of the threads here. But as I said...I have a soft spot for this particular poster.

Quote:
blame the crappy-ass, selfish, materialistic "you must bring something to the table" society we live in.
I personally believe that people that complain about that^^, have a lot to work on at home. I've never found that to be a fault of our society.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,807,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I certainly could. Most threads here I DO ignore...I have no time to be concerned with the inane rubbish that makes up most of the threads here. But as I said...I have a soft spot for this particular poster.

I personally believe that people that complain about that^^, have a lot to work on at home. I've never found that to be a fault of our society.
It is a fault. It's shallow and materialistic. This 'bringing stuff to the table' is simply code for 'hot', 'rich' or at least the appearance of 'rich', or any other shallow superficial 'quality'. It certainly isn't anything related to a person's character, values, interests, etc.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,807,447 times
Quote:

Cannot agree any more.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,622,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
And even if they aren't terribly attracted to each other, if you put a male and a female on a deserted island together, they're probably still going to mate at least once.
Nope. I'm not going to mate with someone who I'm not attracted to.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,387,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
They're not even that far off. She's just a lot taller. He ain't bad looking though. There's better examples than that.
I was just saying that two blonde beach types - the surfer chick and the Ken doll - don't hook up, from what I've seen. If they were on a deserted island, then yes.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,284,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would you say it's only natural they would be at least somewhat attracted to each other and mate? I mean it's nature, right?

Despite the layers of philosophizing, socialization, culture and whatnot we're still basically animals with basic urges.

Of course, it depends a lot on the species, but I think in our species, if a male and a female get together there's a pretty good chance they will form a pair bond.

Let's say the average Joe and the average Jane - both average in every way, except they're a little better looking than the average, were kidnapped by aliens and put in a zoo to be displayed and also to breed. Do you think they are bound to probably grow to like each other?

In a real world situation, how many relationships begin like this?

Many marriages throughout history have been arranged...with the two parties not even KNOWING each other prior to the meeting. Even non-arranged relationships can have an air of this, say if the two people get together out of convenience and grow to love each other.

Of course they could easily grow to HATE each other, but what I'm asking is whether it's natural to eventually cave in and get on with it for the species, and whether that includes the development of romantic feelings or just physical.
LOL, I must say your threads are quite humorous man.

I think this is true with people who are extremely good looking, and we see it all the time with celebrities. If you put two really good looking people together, they might eventually become immensely attracted to each other and act on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships