Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the homo sapiens breeding programme be successful at the alien zoo?
Yes 9 37.50%
No 9 37.50%
Unsure 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:48 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would you say it's only natural they would be at least somewhat attracted to each other and mate? I mean it's nature, right?

Despite the layers of philosophizing, socialization, culture and whatnot we're still basically animals with basic urges.

Of course, it depends a lot on the species, but I think in our species, if a male and a female get together there's a pretty good chance they will form a pair bond.

Let's say the average Joe and the average Jane - both average in every way, except they're a little better looking than the average, were kidnapped by aliens and put in a zoo to be displayed and also to breed. Do you think they are bound to probably grow to like each other?

In a real world situation, how many relationships begin like this?

Many marriages throughout history have been arranged...with the two parties not even KNOWING each other prior to the meeting. Even non-arranged relationships can have an air of this, say if the two people get together out of convenience and grow to love each other.

Of course they could easily grow to HATE each other, but what I'm asking is whether it's natural to eventually cave in and get on with it for the species, and whether that includes the development of romantic feelings or just physical.
No, no, no. It's not just about the physical, especially for women. (My God, man, have you learned nothing from hanging around this forum?) If the guy has offensive personality traits or habits, there's no way the woman will go near him. She'd do everything possible to stay at the opposite side of the cage from him. btw, what guarantees would the aliens provide for the female's safety? You didn't think of that. Would they equip her with a taser?

Actually, your OP is a good demonstration of Guy-Think. You make certain assumptions that you're not even aware you're making. (Not picking on you personally, just saying--this is typical of guys, it's come up before on the forum.) Women think completely differently. Take note.

P.S. This is exactly why it's so difficult to breed pandas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
The other day I went to a concert and tried to strike something up with someone and felt I got the cold shoulder.
This is off-topic, but I'm impressed. At least you tried. Not enough guys try. If you don't try, you won't get anywhere. You can't expect a positive response every time, that's why you should make it a habit to strike up casual conversation anytime, anywhere. Eventually, it'll pay off. Keep on keepin' on.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:55 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, no, no. It's not just about the physical, especially for women. (My God, man, have you learned nothing from hanging around this forum?) If the guy has offensive personality traits or habits, there's no way the woman will go near him. She'd do everything possible to stay at the opposite side of the cage from him. btw, what guarantees would the aliens provide for the female's safety? You didn't think of that. Would they equip her with a taser?

Actually, your OP is a good demonstration of Guy-Think. You make certain assumptions that you're not even aware you're making. (Not picking on you personally, just saying--this is typical of guys, it's come up before on the forum.) Women think completely differently. Take note.

Yes it is. Sorry, but I fundamentally disagree.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Yes it is. Sorry, but I fundamentally disagree.
The women I know must be very different from the women you know. An attractive guy who's arrogant, stupid, mean or in other ways a turn-off is, well, a turn-off. Not going near the guy. Getting as far away as possible.

Maybe what you mean is that there needs to be a minimum of physical attraction in order to get the woman's attention in the first place. Or to maintain her attention, if other factors gained her attention in the first place. The physical does play a role, but not as big a one as guys think. Except, I suppose, in the case of shallow women. And who cares about them, other than shallow men? Shallow--add that to the list of turn-offs.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
The women I know must be very different from the women you know. An attractive guy who's arrogant, stupid, mean or in other ways a turn-off is, well, a turn-off. Not going near the guy. Getting as far away as possible.

Maybe what you mean is that there needs to be a minimum of physical attraction in order to get the woman's attention in the first place. Or to maintain her attention, if other factors gained her attention in the first place. The physical does play a role, but not as big a one as guys think. Except, I suppose, in the case of shallow women. And who cares about them, other than shallow men? Shallow--add that to the list of turn-offs.
You probably know 'better' women than I've known. Where I am... most, if not all, are shallow and full of themselves.

When it comes to the physical... problem is apparently I do not even have the 'minimum' so there ya go...

Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,991,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
You probably know 'better' women than I've known. Where I am... most, if not all, are shallow and full of themselves.

When it comes to the physical... problem is apparently I do not even have the 'minimum' so there ya go...
Hey! You must live close to me!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Hey! You must live close to me!
If you're in the DC area then you're right.

Sure is crummy here when it comes to women, that's for sure.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
They're not even that far off. She's just a lot taller. He ain't bad looking though. There's better examples than that.
I think what I was trying to say is that a man and a woman who might score the same numerically on the 1-10 scale and look kind of similar to each other probably won't be attracted to each other. Maybe because I grew up in a very multi-ethnic area, but I didn't see many couples who looked like brother and sister. (There is something inherently narcissistic or incestuous in that, sorry). If they have the same level of attractiveness but a different "look," then it could fly. That's why I voted unsure.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:50 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Sorry. The idiocy of this thread is causing words to fail me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Jesus. Go outside...take a drive. Do SOMETHING. Just get off the computer for a few days!
Thank you.

Quote:
No, no, no. It's not just about the physical, especially for women. (My God, man, have you learned nothing from hanging around this forum?)
Exactly! For one thing, "decent looking" is defined differently from person to person. Most importantly, just because a woman likes looking at a man does not mean she will want to sleep with him. There's more to it than that.

I'm surprised, with all the ridiculous threads the OP has started on related topics, that he hasn't figured that out yet. Duh.

Quote:
LMAO!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,684 times
Quote:
Thanks mate. I know I have an addiction. This week I have cut down a little bit, thankfully, but like you say sometimes getting out there and meeting new people is easier said than done.

The other day I went to a concert and tried to strike something up with someone and felt I got the cold shoulder.
It's better that you're addicted to creating interesting posts than addicted to cocaine or wild sex with prostitutes.

The cold shoulder is the trademark of the era that old souls like us find ourselves in. Very unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships