Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the homo sapiens breeding programme be successful at the alien zoo?
Yes 9 37.50%
No 9 37.50%
Unsure 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,228,989 times

Advertisements

Would you say it's only natural they would be at least somewhat attracted to each other and mate? I mean it's nature, right?

Despite the layers of philosophizing, socialization, culture and whatnot we're still basically animals with basic urges.

Of course, it depends a lot on the species, but I think in our species, if a male and a female get together there's a pretty good chance they will form a pair bond.

Let's say the average Joe and the average Jane - both average in every way, except they're a little better looking than the average, were kidnapped by aliens and put in a zoo to be displayed and also to breed. Do you think they are bound to probably grow to like each other?

In a real world situation, how many relationships begin like this?

Many marriages throughout history have been arranged...with the two parties not even KNOWING each other prior to the meeting. Even non-arranged relationships can have an air of this, say if the two people get together out of convenience and grow to love each other.

Of course they could easily grow to HATE each other, but what I'm asking is whether it's natural to eventually cave in and get on with it for the species, and whether that includes the development of romantic feelings or just physical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 PM

37,774 posts, read 46,266,772 times
Jesus. Go outside...take a drive. Do SOMETHING. Just get off the computer for a few days!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,718,201 times
Yes, it will happen, if the two people are attracted to each other.

And even if they aren't terribly attracted to each other, if you put a male and a female on a deserted island together, they're probably still going to mate at least once.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Yes, it will happen, if the two people are attracted to each other.

And even if they aren't terribly attracted to each other, if you put a male and a female on a deserted island together, they're probably still going to mate at least once.
Yes, the physical act happening is probably more likely. I also think, however, that they will definitely develop a kind of romantic emotional affinity/intimacy unless they're totally incompatible. Would be an interesting experiment.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Jesus. Go outside...take a drive. Do SOMETHING. Just get off the computer for a few days!
I'm sorry for creating what I thought was an interesting, thought-provoking topic.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, the physical act happening is probably more likely. I also think, however, that they will definitely develop a kind of romantic emotional affinity/intimacy unless they're totally incompatible. Would be an interesting experiment.
I am of the opinion that emotional and sexual intimacy go hand-in-hand for both genders.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I am of the opinion that emotional and sexual intimacy go hand-in-hand for both genders.
I think there is definitely an intersect, but sex with no emotional intimacy is definitely a possibility, especially in the early days. I mean look at our hook-up casual sex culture.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I think there is definitely an intersect, but sex with no emotional intimacy is definitely a possibility, especially in the early days. I mean look at our hook-up casual sex culture.
That's why it doesn't last.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 PM

37,774 posts, read 46,266,772 times
Quote:
I'm sorry for creating what I thought was an interesting, thought-provoking topic.
No, Trimac. You are spending your LIFE online. I just hate seeing people such as yourself waste your life away asking questions about things that you ought to be out experiencing.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No, Trimac. You are spending your LIFE online. I just hate seeing people such as yourself waste your life away asking questions about things that you ought to be out experiencing.
I'm not making excuses, but there certain things, such as my current life situation, which make actually going out, dating.etc difficult for me. I do definitely want to cut down spending time on the internet, though, but I also have the right to post topics on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships