Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM

494 posts, read 1,916,614 times

Advertisements

I am talking about a man out with a few friends who are women but the man has no romantic connection with any of them. According to my GF, guys just pay the bill in the company of women regardless of whether they are romantically linked or not...that's just the expectation women have.

For instance when me and a work colleague went to a bar for drinks we split the check 50/50 but if that colleague happened to be a woman I would have to pickup the entire tab?

I have never heard of such a thing and I do not know where my GF got this idea from? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
No way, if out with a guy friend or a guy coworker I would insist on paying for myself.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:41 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I have never heard of such a thing and I do not know where my GF got this idea from? What do you think?

sounds nutty to me.

i would have fun with this, personally. i'd start probing her as to what, exactly, her obligations are as a female.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Sounds like she has a couple of friends coming to town and she wants you to take them all out and pick up the tab.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
What a load of crap. No way!

Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
I am talking about a man out with a few friends who are women but the man has no romantic connection with any of them. According to my GF, guys just pay the bill in the company of women regardless of whether they are romantically linked or not...that's just the expectation women have.

For instance when me and a work colleague went to a bar for drinks we split the check 50/50 but if that

colleague happened to be a woman I would have to pickup the entire tab?
Do a search here in the forum for topics related to this and you'll see the big number of women who feel entitled to having a man pay for her meals, drinks, entertainment, vacation, etc. Sure, there are some who are against it and will really mean it when they say they pay for a man's expenses as well regardless of being the 1st date or not being married or living together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
No way, if out with a guy friend or a guy coworker I would insist on paying for myself.
But would you really mean it? I have gone out with girls who REALLY MEAN IT and go as far as telling me that if they won’t be allowed to contribute to expenses they’ll simply don’t want to go out again instead of the cute “Ooopsie! you beat me to it *giggles* ” I’ve had girls push my hand away to get the tab and pay for it and things like that.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:53 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Do a search here in the forum for topics related to this and you'll see the big number of women who feel entitled to having a man pay for her meals, drinks, entertainment, vacation, etc.
yeah.. i don't know about that.

you see women expecting to have their own date pay, sure. This is a woman saying that men should pay for strangers , just because they're female.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Bizarre. I've never heard of or experienced that. Please tell your girlfriend not to speak for all women, especially if she's going to spout nonsense like that--makes the rest of us look bad.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:

For instance when me and a work colleague went to a bar for drinks we split the check 50/50 but if that colleague happened to be a woman I would have to pickup the entire tab?

Your gf is crazy.

If someone says to me, "Hey, let me take you out to dinner," that is the ONLY time I am allowing anyone to pay for me, period, end of story, thanks so much.

p.s. While I do know a couple of women who think men should pay for dates, etc, I don't know ONE SINGLE WOMAN who thinks that any guy around should just have to pay for everything if he is in the company of ladies.
That's just preposterous.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,212,471 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships