Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,335,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There was a former male coworker who would buy breakfast for all the female employees and it really irritated me
You should have asked one of the gals to order extra for you so you wouldn't be left out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,520,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I am talking about a man out with a few friends who are women but the man has no romantic connection with any of them. According to my GF, guys just pay the bill in the company of women regardless of whether they are romantically linked or not...that's just the expectation women have.

For instance when me and a work colleague went to a bar for drinks we split the check 50/50 but if that colleague happened to be a woman I would have to pickup the entire tab?

I have never heard of such a thing and I do not know where my GF got this idea from? What do you think?
Paying for them just because they are women?

[]

Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,962,139 times
Quote:
I am talking about a man out with a few friends who are women but the man has no romantic connection with any of them. According to my GF, guys just pay the bill in the company of women regardless of whether they are romantically linked or not...that's just the expectation women have.

For instance when me and a work colleague went to a bar for drinks we split the check 50/50 but if that colleague happened to be a woman I would have to pickup the entire tab?

I have never heard of such a thing and I do not know where my GF got this idea from? What do you think?
Your gf is nuts. Women aren't entitled to free food by there simply being a man present.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,217,056 times
No every woman I've gone out socially with has at least offered to pay, although a few times I've paid for everything, and sometimes she'd covered the bill.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,217,056 times
Don't people realise how the whole concept of a man paying even originated?

It's because in the 'good old days' a lot of women either earned a much lower wage or weren't 'gainfully employed' so it was more practicality than anything that the man paid.

In this day and age why the heck should men be 'expected' to pay? It should be equal. Luckily women with such outdated views of 'chivalry' or getting old...

Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 PM

632 posts, read 1,183,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Please explain this aspect of chivalry to me? Why would a man insist on always buying lunch for female friends or colleagues? Why would you pay for them just because they are female and not for your male colleagues? I'm not being hostile - I'm honestly curious.
IDK, its hard for me to explain but, whenever I am with women I offer to pick up the tab or pay for the meal unless if I know that everyone plans on paying for themselves. However, as I have pointed out, the favor gets returned back to me (despite me insisting against it). I guess its simply the fact that they are females which is why I offer to pay for food/drinks.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,872,121 times
Do women really do expect men to pay?

Quote:
What do you think?
Most men pay, in so many ways, all their life. Somehow, this doesn't surprise me. However, this is certainly not that common. It seems a little unusual to me.

What is amusing is when the most desirable 10% of guys get women to pay. Now that is not unusual. What would be unusual if it did these women any good!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,181,138 times
Directed towards the OP..
In my opinion? Completely false unless the guy is a complete sweetie and always does this.
If I am going to catch a drink with an old friend? ( Male) I will pay my own right out the gate unless they argue and say so.
If it is a group..men and women and they hold no romantic ties, or interest? Pay your own damn way…again unless the guy has stated “I got this.”
I have always told my oldest nephew…if you invite a female friend to go out make sure she has money or make sure it is your treat.
My dad ( who raised him) has always told him “If this is a good friend whom is a girl you pay for her dinner or her movie” But it is not mandatory it is only for the real gentleman if it their idea to go in the first place.
I.E. GUY: Lets go watch Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter” Girl who is a friend “ I do not have money” answer? Either “Okay we will wait” ok” OR “iT’S OK , MY TREAT”
But if it happens to be a random GROUP choice? Everyone must assume their own financial responsibility

Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,527,471 times
I have to call BS on this one. When I go out for lunch with female co workers or female friends for dinner, we either split the check, pay our own portion of the bill, or take turns paying. Honestly, it has been my experience that most woman don't want men paying for them in that setting, because they don't want to give the man the impression they are into them and have the man expecting something in return.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,317,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
On this board, I have heard as much from two or three women who are from Europe and say it is customary there, along with a few men who agree.
It depends on the situation and where you are out there (geographically).

I had a friend out there, she'd always buy me something in the morning before we got on the tram, even when I insisted for her not to. With someone like her, I had no problem with paying the tab if we went out to a specific place.

here at home (america), as a man you're expected to pay, in more ways than one unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships