Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:57 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,319,515 times

Advertisements

People don't seem to have as much trouble letting-go of the "old" and moving-on to something "new" when it comes to what they buy...Fashion trends and "upgrades" and "current models" come and go at a rapid pace these days. Corporations would go out of business if everyone tried to hold-on to what they "had" for long periods of time...But I guess it's different when it comes to our internal beliefs and opinions about life. Maybe we just want to keep a few things "sacred" and "non-disposable." What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
People don't seem to have as much trouble letting-go of the "old" and moving-on to something "new" when it comes to what they buy...Fashion trends and "upgrades" and "current models" come and go at a rapid pace these days. Corporations would go out of business if everyone tried to hold-on to what they "had" for long periods of time...But I guess it's different when it comes to our internal beliefs and opinions about life. Maybe we just want to keep a few things "sacred" and "non-disposable." What do you think?
I agree, most people's beliefs and stuff tend to be 'set in stone', although I think most people change at least some of their beliefs over the course of their life.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:28 AM

Trimac20..I don't think everyone feels totally "free" to experiment and try on different "hats" and beliefs in life...Technically this is a stage we're suppose to go through during our teen years and early 20's in order to become an individual in our own right...But it's not always easy to announce to our parents and family and circle of friends that we've decided to change religions or change our political affliation. Or that we've decided to make major changes in other areas of life...Some may view us as a "traitor" or "black sheep." And take our "rejection" of longheld family beliefs "personally!"...Maybe some people tend to squelch their curiosity and just accept "what is" and what they've been taught to believe (since childhood) to feel "safe" and "secure." And it becomes a habit and a way of life (after awhile) to stick with existing beliefs and never question them. How do you feel about it? Thanks.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM

purehuman...I agree with you. I think we can benefit from "hearing people out" and listening to their points of view and "sides" to issues etc. (Even if we don't automatically agree with them!)..."Where" are they "coming from?" What "fuels" and motivates their "positions?" What can we learn from trying to "walk in their shoes" for awhile?...How can we grow or become "enlightened" if we spend our days clinging to our existing beliefs? And never let any "new ideas" come in at all?

Old 07-28-2012, 05:13 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,140,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems that most people are actually very opinionated and, even when their view is challenged with good evidence (of course it can be all subjective), it seems the majority of people seem to already have their minds made up and are not likely to judge.

For instance, taking constructive criticism or something...maybe they do change, or at least think about it...how many people do you think really think about it? And how many people are open to changing their mind if there's good reason to, or is it human nature to bury their heads in the sand?

I'm like this too, sometimes, of course, I think we all are. I think a lot of the time we are sick of tired of people trying to lecture and impose their views on us so it comes sort of naturally. But we are also pretty resistant to change.
Its simply controls freaks - there everywhere and always trying to impose their model of the world on others.

They cannot see beyond themselves, and their own narrow view of the world, in very subtle ways - Look at every workplace, full of control freaks who think the entire universe revolves around them and their job. Most people despite what they they say are in fact very self interested and opinionated - they have just learned to moderate the more overbearing self interested aspects of their personality to "fit in".

For example you have a person trying to convince you that the model of mobile, car or anything they bought is better, and if you buy a rival brand they don't like you, or trying to convince you that their is better - they try to convince you there job, financial situation is better than your - always lecturing in subtle and not so subtle ways.

I do think there is a mindset that people will try to pretend they know everything, or that their smarter than they actually are, rather than admitting I am not sure, or I don't have enough information, they will pretend that they know everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships